Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-09-15, 01:27 PM  
leigh1673

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taiga View Post
This!!! Thank you

I actually think that implication is somewhat offensive. You must be some jealous fat chick if you don't like these pictures...what a load of hooey! The sarcasm was mostly over the way these women were marketed and objectified (no faces, boob shots etc). Those pictures invite controversy because they send a written message that clearly says if you aren't like the photo it's because you are lazy, defective in your choices etc. It couldn't possibly be because you chose other things to do with your time, don't value the end gain or don't have the resources. And maybe some people just completely reject the whole "look at me, look at me, look at me", selfie driven, superficial environment that seems to plague our generation. Maybe they think that compassion and humanity should be valued above physical representation. Maybe they think that more time should be spent on improving world hunger, community service, intellectual pursuits etc. But it's all cupcakes if you are not choosing 6 pack abs.

In some arenas these women might be considered pretty darn silly in their headless, scantily clad, brooding poses complete with cheap cliches. So to those folks who think it must be jealousy to object, consider that it might just be a completely different perspective. Personally, I love my fitness pursuits but this is a fitness board so it attracts that focus. There is a bigger world with other viewpoints. And to those who say, "look elsewhere if you don't like it", sure. But the messages bleed into our world so discussion happens
Applause to your entire post - especially the bolded!

The fact that we are so quick to jump to the "YUR JUS JELLUS!" accusation when we are trying to make a point about how and why these "fitspo" memes are often anything but really is kind of a sad.
leigh1673 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-15, 01:32 PM  
Lucky Star
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joni O View Post
I don't understand the comments the blogger made. What point is she trying to make? Sounds like someone with self-esteem issues who is jealous of those in the pictures who should be proud of their hard work. Or, I'm just totally clueless.

Also, there's a typo in #8.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vintage VFer View Post
Joni, I felt the same way.
Me too. I'm not into Fitspiration photos but these comments were silly at best.
Lucky Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-15, 02:16 PM  
Helen S
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chomper View Post
Yes, I also consider myself pretty indifferent to fitspo. I don't seek it out, and I don't run across it much. I don't care for it, and find it pretty laughable, but it's not normally something I would go on a rant about. Hearing that people who dislike or make fun of some Fitspo are jealous and hate themselves really did set me off though.

this is an excellent example of my idea of good Fitspo. And yes, this woman should be proud of all her hard work:

http://occupyfitspo.tumblr.com/post/...escapethetruth
Serena is awesome. But I admit that I prefer action shots so I want to see Serena hitting a mean backhand or Misty Copeland doing a beautiful leap.

I also agree with those that mentioned it's the shaming captions that is the problem for me not the photos themselves.

As for taking your other post literally, sorry about that. I'm a software engineer and that's how my brain works. It drives my family crazy!! I analyze movies, instructions, conversations, etc.
Old 06-09-15, 03:13 PM  
cristinalatina

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky Star View Post
Me too. I'm not into Fitspiration photos but these comments were silly at best.
Maybe, but certainly not sillier than the actual pictures!!!

Tags
body image, fitness models, fitspiration, hall of shame, humor, self-esteem