Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 03-15-15, 01:55 PM  
ncl

I have learned that I don't have to workout 6 days a week every single week.

Also, I don't have to do an hour more at every workout. I have spent the last 2 months doing a 30 minute workout followed by about 20 minutes of stretching (love to catch up on my shows while I stretch). I am missing my longer workouts, but when I got back to them, I don't think I will feel like I always have to do a long workout.

I have learned that I don't need as much weight training. For my body, that builds muscle easily and bulks up and develops trigger points, I have learned to do less weights. When I am feeling really tight after doing strength workouts, I give it rest and focus on cardio until my body feels it is time to go back to strength training.

I am better at paying attention to what my body wants and needs. Some days, I feel like a Hiit workout (if high impact jumping, I do this on the rebounder). Some days, I just want to dance and do something dancey. Some days yoga feels right. I just pay attention to what my body wants to do each day. Sometimes it's nothing, though not usually as I like to move...one of life's greatest pleasures.

I stretch way more than I used to!

I am trying and more interested in greater body awareness.
ncl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-15, 05:41 PM  
TinierTina

Beginner's Mind Trumps "Beginner's Yoga"

I like "gym yoga" as in middle-of-the-road, predigested, all-levels yoga and not the Equinox "24-hour Handstand Channel TV" kind of yoga.

Unapologetically.

Fast paced, grounded, and with no inversions! Vinyasa just this side of dance ...

And no apologies (except maybe to J. Brown) and few nods (except to Rodney Yee) ...

I'm 60 and a Type 2 diabetic; and had previously given up yoga for 3 months ...

But, still, full fledged yoga CAN BE DONE

-Bettina

"If it doesn't challenge you, it doesn't change you"?! REALLY!! If it doesn't serve me, it doesn't save me!!
TinierTina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-15, 06:21 PM  
MomOf2Gremlins

Loving this thread!

A lot has been said already with what I personally agree for myself, but if I had to list my own things, I'd say it would be as follows:

* Listening to my body!!! [My #1 motto! ]
* Modifications are 'allowed' and I'm not a failure if I do
* 30 min workouts work well for me, it doesn't (always/at all?) have to be 60 min+
* I'm 'allowed' to take more than 1 rest day if I feel the need
* Giving up striving to look like a certain fitness instructor/idol and accepting my body!
* Doing what feels good/is fun vs. anything that I 'should' do (and not like)

"Change what you can. Accept what you can't. Live peacefully with all that's left."

MomOf2Gremlins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-15, 11:50 AM  
at120

Minimizing pain in my knees and back is job one. No more jumps and leaps; no more pylo.

You can still get a good sweat with gliding and low impact workouts.

Sweating is more important than imitating the instructor exactly -- modification is ok.

Doing the warmup is the most important part of the workout; especially when I'm about to embark on a weight circuit routine.
at120 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
aging, low intensity, over 50