Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-28-13, 08:00 AM  
Pat58
VF Supporter

The Schroth Method for Scoliosis

Alas, not a new DVD coming ... but a conservative, non-surgical method of treating scoliosis which I stumbled upon yesterday while researching scoliosis.

Some links:

http://www.schrothmethod.com/

What the therapy entails

The Schroth Clinic at Hospital for Special Surgery in NYC.

Katarina Schroth developed the method in Germany in 1927, to treat her own scoliosis. It is now considered standard treatment in Germany and is even supported by their federal medical coverage. In fact, it is quite widely recognized throughout Europe. Here are practitioners in the USA.

I'm going to reach out to some within driving distance and get a better idea. Apparently, the method works better on children and teens who have been recently diagnosed, but us old sufferers can be offered at least a measure of relief through strengthening, dare I say it, "teeny tiny" muscles throughout the spinal column, shoulders and rib cage. And it looks like a super intense Pilates class!

Wondering why I've never heard of this???
Pat58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-13, 09:08 AM  
gladgirl

Red face

Thank you for posting. The very moves (yoga) I thought would be helpful, they say...do not do. Very interesting.
gladgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-13, 09:17 AM  
Leonana

Thanks for the information!

I had scoliosis as a child and wore a back brace. I have found regular exercise along with yoga, basically strengthening my core, to be really helpful, and I have better posture as an adult.

My dd has mild scoliosis, and doing gymnastics has helped her (stretching and core strengthening involved). This looks really interesting. Thanks again!
Old 08-28-13, 09:37 AM  
Pat58
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by gladgirl View Post
Thank you for posting. The very moves (yoga) I thought would be helpful, they say...do not do. Very interesting.
Yes - I am perplexed about that. The last time I saw a doctor for scoliosis, I had an MRI and he basically said "keep your weight down and do yoga and keep exercising. There's nothing more I can do for you." There are also several Yoga for Scoliosis DVDs on the market. I have an investment in many yoga DVDs and have spent probably thousands on studio classes and workshops in my lifetime.

If this method was developed in the 1920s and is standard procedure in Europe, I do not understand why U.S. doctors aren't knowledgeable about it. Or, do they keep it brushed under the rug? Skeptical.
Old 08-28-13, 10:01 AM  
JP44

I did research this method extensively when my son developed juvenile idiopathic scoliosis (the worst kind to have). If you do more research on it, you will find that it's NOT standard practice throughout Europe as they claim & their methods will not straighten a severely curved spine.

I've been thru scoliosis surgery w/ my son and it was the best decision we could have made. My son had 25 degree curve when it was first detected at age 14, despite annual check ups that included scoliosis evaluations. W/in 3 months it was 30 degrees and he started wearing a brace (basically a torture device). We also did chiropractic visits and worked w/ a personal trainer 3x/wk.

5 months later, his curve was 37 degrees. Four months later, it was 42 degrees. His lung capacity was reduced by 30% because they were getting squeezed by his spinal rotation.

He had the spinal surgery a couple months after that and his curve was reduced to 9 degrees and is virtually undetectable. A year later, his curve is still 9 degrees, his posture is wonderful and while he can never become a circus acrobat, he has no other limitations on his physical mobility. Before, his back would hurt just walking.

So, please be extremely skeptical about claims re: "natural" methods for curing scoliosis, especially if it's aggressive. Elizabeth Taylor wound up in a wheelchair because she never had the full surgery she needed for her scoliosis.

There is a LOT of quackery out there re: scoliosis so don't get sucked into it.

Joan
JP44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-13, 10:17 AM  
yogapam
VF Supporter

Pat - I don't know anything about Schroth, am always interested to learn about something new though. I can see how it would be disheartening to be told that yoga is not recommended, I know your love for yoga! I have a mild scoliosis between my scapulae, diagnosed after my oldest son was born. I used to frequently get so stiff in the upper back that I couldn't turn my head. I can only say that since I have had a regular yoga practice, that has not happened to me.

Certified Level 4 Essentrics Instructor - March 2021

Hatha YTT - 2011

Your body keeps an accurate journal regardless of what you write down.....

"Take care of your body. It's the only place you have to live."
Jim Rohn

"It’s not what we do once in a while that shapes our lives, but what we do consistently.” - Tony Robbins

Check out my Instagram account, @fitness.ficti0n.inspirati0n
yogapam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-13, 10:20 AM  
gladgirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by JP44 View Post
I did research this method extensively when my son developed juvenile idiopathic scoliosis (the worst kind to have). If you do more research on it, you will find that it's NOT standard practice throughout Europe as they claim & their methods will not straighten a severely curved spine.

I've been thru scoliosis surgery w/ my son and it was the best decision we could have made. My son had 25 degree curve when it was first detected at age 14, despite annual check ups that included scoliosis evaluations. W/in 3 months it was 30 degrees and he started wearing a brace (basically a torture device). We also did chiropractic visits and worked w/ a personal trainer 3x/wk.

5 months later, his curve was 37 degrees. Four months later, it was 42 degrees. His lung capacity was reduced by 30% because they were getting squeezed by his spinal rotation.

He had the spinal surgery a couple months after that and his curve was reduced to 9 degrees and is virtually undetectable. A year later, his curve is still 9 degrees, his posture is wonderful and while he can never become a circus acrobat, he has no other limitations on his physical mobility. Before, his back would hurt just walking.

So, please be extremely skeptical about claims re: "natural" methods for curing scoliosis, especially if it's aggressive. Elizabeth Taylor wound up in a wheelchair because she never had the full surgery she needed for her scoliosis.

There is a LOT of quackery out there re: scoliosis so don't get sucked into it.

Joan
Joan, thank you for sharing your personal story. I am so happy to hear of your son's remarkable results. (and circus acrobat is really not an option... ?) I never heard of this method before; thank you for the heads-up.
gladgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-13, 10:24 AM  
Pat58
VF Supporter

Joan, thank you very much for sharing your and your son's experiences. I'm so happy for your son that his surgery was successful. Unfortunately for me, I was never properly diagnosed. I found out via an x-ray at a chiropractor's office on one of my first (of many) back pain episodes.
Old 08-28-13, 10:31 AM  
yogapam
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat58 View Post
I found out via an x-ray at a chiropractor's office on one of my first (of many) back pain episodes.
Pat - That is exactly how I was diagnosed!

Certified Level 4 Essentrics Instructor - March 2021

Hatha YTT - 2011

Your body keeps an accurate journal regardless of what you write down.....

"Take care of your body. It's the only place you have to live."
Jim Rohn

"It’s not what we do once in a while that shapes our lives, but what we do consistently.” - Tony Robbins

Check out my Instagram account, @fitness.ficti0n.inspirati0n
yogapam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-13, 10:49 AM  
JP44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat58 View Post
Joan, thank you very much for sharing your and your son's experiences. I'm so happy for your son that his surgery was successful. Unfortunately for me, I was never properly diagnosed. I found out via an x-ray at a chiropractor's office on one of my first (of many) back pain episodes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by yogapam View Post
Pat - That is exactly how I was diagnosed!

I found out about my son's scoliosis when he had an xray for pneumonia and I asked the doctor, "Why is his spine curved?" No one else said anything about it!

I'm very sorry you both are having to deal w/ it all these years. It's not a easy thing to live w/ and there are no simple solutions. They won't do the surgery unless your curve is over 40 degrees. Many people don't realize that scoliosis is a 3 dimensional issue (sideways curve, front to back curve and rotational). That's why it can affect your internal organs later in life, as gravity can often worsen the curve. It NEVER hurts to keep your core muscles strong and flexible but there are limits to how much you can do to your spine.

My son's spine went from looking like a curvy mountain road to a railroad track! It actually looks like a railroad track as they fused 10 vertebrae and attached 2 metal rods to the fused vertebrae. (I hear about people having 2 vertebrae fused and I'm like, "Pfffftt!" )

Joan
JP44 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
back surgery, scoliosis