Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-06-09, 04:04 PM  
dbclark44

Spinal Stenosis Surgery

Anyone been diagnosed with spinal stenosis and had surgery to correct it?
dbclark44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-09, 05:33 PM  
LindaL
VF Supporter

I didn't have spinal stenosis, but DH did and had surgery to correct it 6 or 7 years ago. The surgery was very successful and he hasn't had any problems since.

Disclosure: I was a Beachbody success story and part of a P90X infomercial.
LindaL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-09, 05:40 PM  
dbclark44

Linda, what symptoms did he have from the stenosis (back/leg pain)?
Old 07-06-09, 05:57 PM  
LindaL
VF Supporter

DH had intermittent back pain for 4 or 5 years. At his worst, he had shooting pain down his legs and back pain so severe that he walked almost at a 90 degree angle. When the surgeon went in, he also cleaned up debris from a herniated disk. Once he recouperated from the surgery he was completely fine. I think he had to be off work for a month. He still has to be careful about lifting our kids (DD, age 9, still likes to jump on him and have him lift her), but I think that has more to do with a weak core than his spine.

Old 07-06-09, 07:52 PM  
fitness4life

Funny that this thread should post today - my brother just literally had this done this afternoon. He had 2 herniated disks, one of which was pressing on his spinal cord where the pain was unbearable to the point where he could move from a chair as that was the best "position" he could be in. Before it was that bad he was literally, crooked - he was walking crooked, the pain was radiating down his leg, he has also lost some strenght in his toes... so he had this done - he's home already and all seems to be good...
Old 07-06-09, 08:07 PM  
Castella

My father is waiting to see if he is a good candidate for surgery. He has crippling stenosis in the entire lumbar region (1-5), plus a slew of other issues.

The reason I'm posting is that some friends told my parents about this procedure (discussed in a news article, link)

This seems to be a less invasive option with a faster recovery time.
Castella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-09, 09:04 PM  
shaka02

My dad had surgery for spinal stenosis about 1.5 years ago (he is in his mid-seventies). He was in terrible pain for years prior to the surgery. The pain was increasing over the years (his doctors told him that increasing pain is typical for spinal stenosis as the pressure on the spinal cord increases as the condition persists).

The surgery, in a word, was a miracle for him. The pain is gone, he had a quick recovery, and now goes to the gym 3x per week and plays golf again. So that is one good outcome for you!

Best wishes to you -
Deb
shaka02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-09, 09:45 PM  
dbclark44

You guys are great. So much knowledge and information available on this site. Ask a question and there's bound to be someone out there experieincing or know someone who has.

I'm on the fence about getting the surgery or not. My discomfort is left leg pain. It's affecting my quality of life to the point where I can't stand for long hours or walk for too,long. I currently receive steroid injections to the affected nerves but that process in itself is extrememly unpleasant and painful. If I'm going to get the surgery I'd like to get it while I'm still in relative good shape, carry decent insurance, and at a decent age (just turned 50 this year). Reading your posts, I can't say I experience terrible pain but it does intefere with my quality of life. I jsut don't like not being able to do things I used to and should still be able to at my age.
Old 07-06-09, 09:55 PM  
LindaL
VF Supporter

Why don't you ask around and find a neurosurgeon or two to interview. DH was very lucky and found someone who came very highly recommended. Good luck.

Old 07-07-09, 12:03 AM  
videofit

I always hear a radio commercial about an alternative to surgery but unfortunately I never really pay attention since it doesn't affect me. I'd do some research because back surgery should always be the very last resort because of the high failure rate.

Tags
back surgery, gall bladder