Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > Challenges and Check-ins

Old 06-26-22, 08:05 AM  
Laura S.
VF Supporter

Crone Cronies - You Can't Buy Happiness, But You Can Live in Canada. 6/26

The Cronies is a place for women who are mature in age or attitude. The group is highly diverse in that we have ages ranging from 30s to 60s, some are moms, some are single, some are teachers/professors, and some have jobs and work outside the home and some don’t. We do our own thing and are happy when life doesn’t get in the way too often. Some are training for a marathon, some don’t even do vids, you get the picture.

Life and exercise are what we report. A thread is started every Sunday. Some report every day, others whenever they can.

Bottom line: we are a diverse group and very supportive of each other’s goals. Oh, and we’re funny as heck. If you’d like to join us, just come on down.

Laura's Workout Mantras:

Something is better than nothing
The best workout is the one you will DO
Laura S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-22, 08:22 AM  
Laura S.
VF Supporter

Happy Canada Day later this week to all our Canadian members.

It has been a long time since I started a thread. I used to do it every Sunday, but now it's hard. Thanks to Anita for taking on this task.

I got my quiet day yesterday and really enjoyed it. Today, I may try to get over to Mom and Dad's to hang out. I also need to get to the library to pick up some books. But it should be another quiet day.

Vantreesta - My mom had foot surgery done years ago. It was totally logical and she felt good about it. At first, it seemed like it had gone very well. In the end, it wasn't the positive outcome she expected. She has had mobility issues since. She can walk and still gets around, but it has been hard. My point is not to not do the surgery, but to take your time and find out all the info you can and, if you do have surgery, find the very best surgeon you can. My mom felt her surgeon wasn't as good as he told her she was, so do research. Thanks for hanging out with us more this week. It has been good to see you.

Paula - I hate it when I get a bad picture on ID. And there's nothing you can do about it. Congrats on getting the quilt done. It does sound like a nice Saturday. I'm hoping that we caught DH's bronchitis early enough that it takes a little less than forever to get over. We'll see.

Laura's Workout Mantras:

Old 06-26-22, 08:27 AM  
sciencelady

Thank you for starting us off, Laura!

I had a good time at the SVM reunion - luckily they gave us a photo of all the students from 1987 and the also provided name tags, so it was easier to realize who you were talking to. Other than one person that was there, have I maintained contact with my classmates - I do stay in touch with one other that wasn’t at the reunion. Other than the ceremony, I spent time walking around the area - hit a favorite park called Picnic Point, walked around areas I used to live, and did some shopping - picked up a nice ceramic bowl with my favorite colors yesterday. It was a rainy day, so glad I had an umbrella.

Today I’ll be driving towards Milwaukee - I’ll stop and have lunch with my brother. The girl I’m staying with in Milwaukee is one of my computer game buddies - she lives a few blocks from my old house there. I’m looking forward to seeing it again - haven’t seen it in over ten years. We’ll be grilling tonight and catching up in person, a game of Spades in person tomorrow!

Welcome back, Laura! Sorry to hear of DH’s bloody cough - sounds serious. Hope you get back to your own pace of doing things this week!

Vantreesta, sorry I don’t know enough about podiatry to know if your condition needs surgery or not, but definitely get a second opinion. I remember having other people walk Gus when I was recovering from knee and hip replacement - he did OK with that if he didn’t see me anywhere on the path.

Paula, Hopefully you renewed your passport well ahead of the due date - here, last time I checked, passports were about three months delayed in getting renewed. I didn’t mind my passport picture looking bad - I looked like I had just woken up after sleeping in an airport, so the picture would match what the officials would likely see . I was surprised by how many classmates looked like they used to look, I just had problems remembering names.

Waves to all!

Anita
sciencelady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-22, 08:27 PM  
Paula
VF Supporter

Good evening. Workout this morning Pahla B Body Shaping Day 20 Walking with Weights followed by Tamilee Standing Stretch and a neighborhood walk with DH.

Today was grocery and food prep day. So got all that done and some gardening done as well. Right now I'm tired and enjoying doing nothing.

Laura, thanks for getting us started. I like the theme, some days I consider it. We've really enjoyed the time we've spent in Canada, I have relatives there so family would be close. Glad you got your quiet day, I hope to have one tomorrow. Good advice to Vantreestra on the foot surgery. I hope you DH gets over his bronchitis quickly.

Anita, glad you had a nice time at the reunion. So you have another trip down memory land coming up in Milwaukee. Have fun catching up with your friend and visiting your old haunts. Our passports expire April 2023. You can't travel into many countries if your passport with expire within six months, so we need new ones by Novemeber. I'd heard about back logs too so thought applying early was a good idea. Like your description of your passport picture, it fits mine too. I have bed head for sure.
Paula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-22, 08:24 AM  
sciencelady

Good morning!

I’m having a good time at my friend’s house in West Allis, WI. Yesterday I stopped and viewed my old house a few blocks from here - a lot of the trees and bushes had been removed, but some features in the yard remain. I didn’t see anything on the inside of the house. I had a good time seeing friends here at this house. Today I’ll be putzing around today - this evening we’ll be playing Spades in person! Tomorrow I head home.

Laura, I didn’t see your post yesterday - we must’ve been typing at the same time. Once again, thanks for starting this thread .

Paula, Sounds like you’re on time for your passports - hope you get them way before your trip in April.

Waves to all!

Anita
Old 06-27-22, 03:51 PM  
Laura S.
VF Supporter

Today has been more of a normal, but not crazy, day. I went to the YMCA, did exercises on strength machines, and saw my parents. And I cooked a chicken broccoli dish in the InstantPot that DH had over rice. It was nice to have the energy to cook something. And I've done some minor things around the house. We are expecting storms in the late afternoon / early evening, so Polly is inside and doesn't seem to mind not being outside.

DH continues to feel absolutely lousy. I hope he feels better soon. I know it takes a while to get over bronchitis, but it would be nice if he felt a little better instead of feeling worse every day.

Anita - It's great you got to see an old home, even if it was from the outside. It sounds like your trip is going well.

Paula - It sounds like a productive day with some down time. Canada is a great country to visit. I've never considered moving there because it's north of other places I wouldn't live because they are too cold for me now. If it weren't for the cold, I'd consider it. I'm always amazed by the number of people in the U.S. who have never visited Canada.

Laura's Workout Mantras:

Old 06-27-22, 07:55 PM  
Paula
VF Supporter

Good evening. The only exercise I had today was a neighborhood walk with DH and some gardening, it that counts.

Anita, glad you're having a good time on youo get away. It's always bitter sweet to see places you used to live. My in laws owed a cabin in Big Bear, DH and I got married there and spent our honeymoon there. Over the years we all spent time there. It was sold decades ago now, but whenever we drive by I get a wonky feeling in my stomach and think we should buy it if it ever comes up for sale. DH always looks at me as though I'm nuts when I say this. He has no interest in owning a mountain cabin. Got the passport stuff mailed off today - fingers crossed it doesn't take long to get the new ones.

Laura, glad you had a normal day with some gym time and time with your parents. Sorry your DH is still feeling lousy. I'm sure this affects his mood which affects your life as well. Do you like the Insta Pot? I use my Crock Pot often but wonder whether I'd get more use from an InstaPot. I haven't got room for both, so I need to figure out which I'd use the most.
Old 06-28-22, 10:12 AM  
sciencelady

Good morning!

I’ll be heading home shortly - I had a great time playing Spades in person last night and seeing friends in person rather than on screen. I’ll probably drive past my old house once more and then head to Saint Paul - I doubt I’ll stop by Madison, just for gas stops and maybe some lunch. Overall, this has been a good time away from home. Coming up next will be the Latvian Song and Dance Festival in town - I’ll need to look at tickets to events tonight. My friend coming up to stay with me should be here on Thursday - luckily downstairs is still together enough to house her.

Laura, on your chicken broccoli dish over rice. That would be popular here with many of my friends having gluten sensitivity. So has Polly forgiven you for being away for several days? If DH is continuing to feel bad, I’d have him seen by the doctors .

Paula, Yeah, I wonder if I’d buy my old house in Madison again, but no - it’s something I’d like to get away from as far as yard care and shoveling. My co-op place that I hope to get shortly is something I now want. My friends have all approved of the place, so I don’t feel like I’m making a big mistake. I have an old crockpot (at least 40 years old) - I wonder about getting a newer one or the Instapot type. Frankly, I don’t use it very often that I could likely get rid of it completely if I downsize more.

Waves to all!

Anita
Old 06-28-22, 11:28 AM  
Vantreesta

I got an appt for the second opinion on my feet but it's not till Aug 9. That was the first available appt. I am impatient for it already bc I feel in limbo on what I should or shouldn't be doing. I'm also scheduled for a gait analysis by a pedorthist. (I need to look up what that means! )

I'll try to come back later today for personals. I haven't even eaten breakfast yet, got caught in the rabbit hole of looking at my medical notes in the clinic portal!
You don't have to be fast, just keep moving forward.
Note to self: You don't get to complain about things you won't work to change!

Word for 2024: Accomplished; Word for 2023: Grounded; Word for 2022: Consistency; Word for 2021: Mindfulness
Vantreesta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-22, 08:07 PM  
Paula
VF Supporter

Good evening. Workout this morning was Pahla B Body Shaping Day 22 Push (Strength) followed by Karen Voight Yoga Stretch.

First world problem, DH and I discovered this morning that a squirrel has been digging holes in one of our brand new patio chair custions. I guess he's trying to pull out the stuffing for a nest. I suspect it's the squirrel who comes to my bird bath to drink. Up to now I thought he was cute, he's on my S list now.

Did a little gardening today and some clothes shopping. I got two blouses to go with specific outfits, when I got home they didn't work so now I have to return them. Luckily got both at the same store so only one trip to do the return. So that's my exciting life for today.

Anita, I don't think I'd want to go back to any of the homes I've lived in before (I'd like that mountain cabin only for nostalgia, I wouldn't want to live there or even spend much time there). My wants and needs now are different. Although I haven't lived in a single family home with a yard since I got married, 51 years ago. We've lived in apartments, on a sailboat, and in condos. If there was ever a time we might want a house and yard it's now. I don't see us making that change though. Have a safe trip home.

Vantreestra, I don't blame you for being anxious for your doctor appointment, I would be too. I wonder if you could do chair workouts so you'd feel as though you're getting some activity. Funny how you can look up one simple thing on the computer, lift your head and two hours have gone by - a rabbit hole for sure. I just realized you live in MN, same as Anita. Have you two met?