Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 06-13-22, 10:43 AM  
Pat58
VF Supporter

Mold Remediation (not OT - health related)

Hi everyone, maybe you can give me some advice. Our oil tank is corroded and we're in the process of clearing a path so the guys can come in for the replacement.

Long story short, my husband is a "hoarder light." The basement is his lair. When I was clearing stuff from my corner for the dump, I discovered black mold running up the corner walls. I peeped behind things he had leaning up against other walls and there's signs of more, but not bad yet.

Have you had mold remediation done in your house? Did you tackle it DIY or hire a professional team? What does it entail? I'm inclined to try it myself first but any tips would be appreciated.

Thanks!!!
Pat58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-22, 10:46 AM  
sherry7899

I wish we could tag people. I know Laura S went through it. Hopefully she will see the thread. I am so sorry you have to deal with this.

The cat in my avatar is my sweetheart named Bonkers
sherry7899 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-22, 01:31 PM  
adawn
VF Supporter

FWIW, if you have relatively minor mold issues, Concrobium spray can be bought at Home Depot and I've found it somewhat effective in certain applications. Whatever you do, don't use bleach on certain surfaces as the water content in the bleach will only "feed" the mold. However, some drywall, wood, etc. cannot be salvaged if it's been totally permeated and destroyed. Carpet and carpet padding I don't think can ever be totally remediated except via removal.

My experience is based on having a basement with various degrees of minor flooding every year for decades (we learned to "live" with it by keeping everything off the floor, etc.) and a dad that hoarded most of the basement out. Once he passed, we could locate and address the root causes of the flooding (foundation cracks, exterior drainage, etc.).

We hired a guy/handyman we knew to remove the carpet and carpet padding from the carpeted areas and to replace some wood paneling and drywall. Not sure he took many safety precautions for himself doing all this.
adawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-22, 01:37 PM  
bzar
Exchange Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by sherry7899 View Post
I wish we could tag people. I know Laura S went through it. Hopefully she will see the thread. I am so sorry you have to deal with this.
if you click on the "mold" tag, one of the threads that Laura replied to has her story (2011-2012). when you click on the tag, you can filter for "Laura S." on each thread's "replies" hyperlink.

Miyagi: Wax on, right hand. Wax off, left hand. Wax on, wax off. Breathe in through nose, out the mouth. Wax on, wax off. Don't forget to breathe, very important.
[walks away, still making circular motions with hands] ~ Pat Morita, The Karate Kid, 1984

disclosure: in the years 2002-2004 i had a professional relationship with a distributor of fitness videos; see profile.
bzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-22, 01:40 PM  
sherry7899

Quote:
Originally Posted by bzar View Post
if you click on the "mold" tag, one of the threads that Laura replied to has her story.
Thank you!

The cat in my avatar is my sweetheart named Bonkers
sherry7899 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-22, 03:00 PM  
Laura S.
VF Supporter

Yes, we went through that. By the time we realized what was happening, our basement looked like the set for a horror film, so there was no DIY option, and we basically ended up with a new basement.

We did consider whether to go through insurance or not. The general consensus we heard was that they would probably introduce a lot of requirements that would jack up the price even further, so we didn't. Once it was done, it was good and we had no problems after that.

Also, anything around the mold needs to be cleaned or thrown out. We lost a lot of stuff in our storage room.

Good luck! I hope it's a relatively minor (for mold) event for you.

Laura's Workout Mantras:

Something is better than nothing
The best workout is the one you will DO
Laura S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-22, 09:24 AM  
Pat58
VF Supporter

ADawn, Jeannine and Laura, thank you for your insights.

I had thought about an insurance claim too but we're very hesitant - your reasoning for not going through them makes sense.

I do realize that the cause needs to be addressed. I plan to get an estimate for having a dehumidifier professionally installed. The way our one basement window is positioned, the kind you can buy at Home Depot won't work.

If only there were a solution for my husband's hoarding, but that's a different eye-rolling topic.
Pat58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-22, 12:01 PM  
donnamp

I am sorry about the mold, but I can commiserate with the DH hoarding....our basement is also mainly DH's domain and several times a year he goes down there to clean it up - but all he does is move stuff around.

Nothing ever leaves....

Donna
donnamp is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
mold, mold remeditation, off topic, off-topic