Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-26-22, 12:45 PM  
lotusgirl

Question Need DVD player advice

I need to replace my DVD player and haven't purchased one in at least 15 years, maybe even 20.

What advice do you have? Do I buy a name brand or one of the cheap brands? Do I buy an "all regions"?

There are so many options now that didn't exist when I bought my last one which is a VCR/DVD combo. I saw that DVD players aren't going away because cinephiles say that quality is better on newer DVDs than streaming.

Thanks!
Old 11-26-22, 02:09 PM  
zraipel
VF Supporter

I don't know that brand makes a difference. I've owned several over the years, some name brand and some brands I'd never heard of and never had issues.

I always purchase region free players because I have a lot of UK workout DVDs (and a few TV shows as well) that I enjoy and I don't have to worry about them not playing or having to figure out some code to make them work. You never know when you might want to purchase a DVD or set that is only available in a region outside of your own.

I have one player with a timer and one without. I prefer the one with the timer, especially during workouts, so that I can have an idea of how much time I have left!! Especially with my Ilaria workouts Nothing like thinking you're halfway through a 50 minute workout and it's only been 10 minutes

Really though, the region-free thing is the only real deal breaker for me when I'm looking for DVD players. Other people here may have different preferences. It really comes down to what kind of things you think you will be watching and how many setup options you want.
Old 11-26-22, 02:11 PM  
SpiritYogi

If you're using it strictly for playing DVD's and/or CD's, I suggest you get a Blu-Ray player that has the appropriate ports to connect to your TV or other device, and confirm it can play any type of disc you have in your collection, such as BD-R, BD-RE, DVD-R, DVD+R, DVD+RW, CD-AUDIO, CD-R AUDIO, CD-RW AUDIO.
SpiritYogi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-22, 04:57 PM  
moonbeam31

I just bought a $20 ONN brand from Walmart. You can hook it up easily with an HDMI cord to your TV. Does the trick for me!
moonbeam31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-22, 06:19 PM  
adawn
VF Supporter

I like this one because it has slow motion playback (for learning complex step combos). However, it DOES NOT have a display showing the time, etc.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B007F9XHAY/

For my workout room clock, I have this right next to the tv on the shelf:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07FNC6N1L/
adawn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-22, 07:12 AM  
YetAnotherDeb

I have almost always had Sony players. They all had disc memory up to 5 or so discs. It allows me to stop a movie midstream, play another disc, then return to where I left off in the original disc. My newest player, a different brand, does not have that feature and I do miss it.
_____
YADeb
YetAnotherDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-22, 12:15 PM  
red1013

Mine is a Sony, pretty basic, and I know it was under $40. I've had it for 10-15 years now, still works great. It's in my basement and used only for my workouts.
Old 11-27-22, 12:19 PM  
Karla25

I have this one: Pioneer It’s an all region player and works great. It also has a timer, so I know where I’m at in a workout.
Old 11-27-22, 07:52 PM  
lotusgirl

Smile Thanks!

Thanks, everyone! You provided some great information! The DVD player is only for my workout DVDs. I appreciate all the details and links!
Old 11-27-22, 08:52 PM  
bubbles76

Quote:
Originally Posted by lotusgirl View Post
I saw that DVD players aren't going away because cinephiles say that quality is better on newer DVDs than streaming.

Thanks!
With my huge collection of fitness dvds and growing blu ray anime collection, this makes me happy

Oh, and I have a Sony blu ray/dvd player as well. It even has youtube, netflix, and other apps on it. Love it for those features too. It's this one.
"You humans have the potential to be the most wonderful beings there are - if you can get past all these enormous stupid spots you seem to have in your hearts. It's not your fault. You just don't know how to work your hearts right yet. That's why there are dogs." - Jim Butcher, Zoo Day
bubbles76 is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
dvd player, dvd region issues