Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 11-21-22, 05:21 PM  
LizEMA

Salon Mishap/Tipping Advice

I haven't been very active on here lately, and I apologize for the neglect.
However, I'm hoping that VF would be willing to offer me some advice.

Long story as short as I can make it :
I have NEVER had my hair professionally done so I decided to treat myself by going to a highly rated salon and get myself some red highlights last Wednesday. I discussed with the stylist at length what I wanted and what I didn't (NO orange or coppery reds and no violet/purple reds). I had several pictures which I showed her that illustrated what I was looking for.
Various techniques and 8.5 hours later, I walked out with a color I wasn't in love with, but one which I thought I could live with. At that point in the day, it was already evening, and, in the light of the salon, the hair looked reddish albeit with much more purple/violet than I wanted.

After all of that time and effort, I tipped the stylist almost 30% of the over $300 bill. (Not sure if it is relevant, but the stylist was patient and calm and had a good disposition and personality. We chatted the entire time, and, when I left, she thanked ME for my patience and calmness. [At one point, it looked like someone had thrown orange paint on my roots.] There were some things she mentioned to me AFTER she had started, which I feel she should have pointed out earlier [ie: that reds fade quickly, that they don't last, that they are tricky and hard to get correct, etc.] She knew that this was my first salon visit EVER so, clearly, had no prior knowledge of anything hair related. Overall, I had no real problem with her professionalism.)

The next morning when I woke up and saw my hair in the light of day, I was HORRIFIED to see that it was a SHOCKING MAGENTA. I immediately contacted the salon and made an appointment for a color correction, which is tomorrow afternoon.
(Every morning, even after all of these days, I react with the same amount of shock upon spying my hair and feel like it is getting even brighter! )

My question: Do I tip the stylist again (same one), and, if so, how much? Does that change if the outcome still isn't what I asked for? (I am finding it hard to believe that the stylist, having worked in that salon for 4 years and being familiar with that lighting, didn't know or, at least, deeply suspect, that my hair skewed towards the magenta/fuschia side of things and NOT the RED I asked for when she let me walk out of there. But, I am willing to give her the benefit of the doubt there.)

I'm flying blind here as I have ZERO previous experience to draw from, so I am looking for any and all opinions and advice on how to calmly and fairly deal with this follow-up color correction. I've been trying to rock it as much as I can, but, it's magenta and most definitely NOT what I asked for. (I made sure that a "master stylist" would be in the salon as well so that my stylist could consult with her on the color before applying anything to my hair.)
Old 11-21-22, 06:07 PM  
bubbles76

Ooof, I'm sorry this happened to you. I have never had a dye job or had to go back to a stylist for correction. Do you have to pay again for a correction? I would think that this would be an extension of that first visit, since she didn't get it right. Why tip twice? But again, I've never had corrections done before, so not sure of the protocol.
"You humans have the potential to be the most wonderful beings there are - if you can get past all these enormous stupid spots you seem to have in your hearts. It's not your fault. You just don't know how to work your hearts right yet. That's why there are dogs." - Jim Butcher, Zoo Day
bubbles76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-22, 06:13 PM  
sherry7899

https://www.today.com/style/hair-sal...aid-ask-t96636

The cat in my avatar is my sweetheart named Bonkers
sherry7899 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-22, 06:22 PM  
Gams

This happened to me once but I didn’t go back for a correction because I know how quickly red fades and it sure did fade fast, so I was more upset that I spent all that money and the color was mostly gone within a couple weeks. I don’t agree that she would necessarily know the shade of red your hair would turn out. Red is a tricky color and people are so different.

I think that because she spent a lot of time with you and seemed to sincerely try her best, I would tip when I went back for the correction. I’m guessing you don’t have to pay anything for the correction?
Gams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-22, 06:40 PM  
buffmama

If it's far off from what you asked for you can ask for one of the master colorist's to do the correction. If you see the same person I wouldn't tip. If you see someone else, I say go by how you feel afterwards. The owner of the salon should want you happy be willing to work with you. Good luck.
Old 11-21-22, 09:46 PM  
Lori_Michigan

This has happened to me a few times. Each time I went to a different stylist for corrective (and tipped accordingly). The salon owner really wanted to make it right.

After a lot of research, I learned that my hair "pulls red" so I used to tell every stylist this right away. I learned that I can only use cool (or ash) brown and with a blue toner immediately so that it doesn't turn brassy.

Anything "golden" or "amber" always turned orange on my hair.

After a similar experience, I started doing my hair and highlights myself and have now been doing it for nearly a decade! In addition, I use blue shampoo and conditioner weekly to avoid brassiness.
Lori_Michigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-22, 10:03 PM  
Hsim

I can't imagine why it took her 8.5 hours to do highlights. I usually have my hair cut, a single process color + highlights done at least once a year and I have never been in the salon for more than a couple of hours. Maybe the master colorist can do the highlights? I would be curious to know what part of the process took so long.
I am sorry that you did not get the color that you want and that you had to spend so much time in the salon. There has been a couple of times that I really hated a haircut that I got - even at expensive salons.
Hsim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-22, 10:25 PM  
bfit

Ideally, they would not charge you for the "correction" since you stayed so long and had to spend so much the first time. I've had cuts corrected (not color though), and the stylist did not charge me to fix it up. However, if the same or another stylist asks you to pay for the second visit I would give a tip but not a generous one. I love my stylist, I have been seeing her for years, and I always tip generously, but in your case, I don't think a big trip is justified. Also, you didn't ask specifically about this, but I'm going to comment anyway. I think that the stylist definitely should have told you all of those things about red color from the start, and no matter what she did it should not have taken literally all day. An 8 hour color session is a sign of someone who doesn't really know what she's doing. I would not go back there. The good news is that a bad color job really doesn't last long. It's not as bad as hair that is whacked off and takes months to grow out decently.
bfit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-22, 09:43 AM  
summer breeze
VF Supporter

Hmmm that's a tough one. Red is tricky and it is possible that she didn't know exactly how the red would come out if she's never worked with your hair before. But I think a very experienced colorist would have a better idea and it certainly shouldn't have taken so long. It will indeed fade quickly however but you paid a lot of money and going back to get corrected is certainly valid. They probably won't/shouldn't charge you for the correction. As far as tipping the second time that is definitely up to you of course. You certainly don't have to especially if you go to the same stylist. I personally don't think she did anything wrong per se and it seems she did work with you well and try her best. But you paid a lot of money and are entitled to get what you wanted. So kind of a waffling answer but I don't think there is a right or wrong answer. Whether you tip or don't tip, I think either/or are justified.
summer breeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-22, 10:14 AM  
Pat58
VF Supporter

I think 30% is way above the industry standard so I would not tip for the correction. I personally tip 20% when I'm very satisfied. The norm is 15% to 20%

Good luck, I'm sorry this happened to you.
Pat58 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hair, hair coloring, hair dye, off topic, off-topic, tipping hairstylist