Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 09-17-19, 06:26 PM  
tytbody
VF Supporter

The work , the world, it’s a vicious cycle. They all feed off of each other. All rolling on peoples insecurities.

~~~Cheryl

Completed a 10 day Pilates Challenge 2019
Completed Pilates 7 day Challenge 2019

Live Life Simply -Simply Love Life
Old 09-17-19, 06:51 PM  
yogapam
VF Supporter

My friend lost her weight very rapidly with bariatric surgery. Not ideal IMO as it’s invasive, but that was her choice and I respect that. She had significant joint issues, borderline diabetes, and high blood pressure, all of which have vastly improved. Most importantly she feels better and is enjoying greater mobility and activity. I love to see that and she definitely feels it’s worth a few extra wrinkles....now she’s as wrinkled as I am, hahaha.

Certified Level 4 Essentrics Instructor - March 2021

Hatha YTT - 2011

Your body keeps an accurate journal regardless of what you write down.....

"Take care of your body. It's the only place you have to live."
Jim Rohn

"It’s not what we do once in a while that shapes our lives, but what we do consistently.” - Tony Robbins

Check out my Instagram account, @fitness.ficti0n.inspirati0n
Old 09-17-19, 08:49 PM  
beyond.omega
VF Supporter

As someone who lost 40 lbs due to illness (celiac disease) and have everyone tell me how fabulous I looked, well, I think this thread proves the illness and disease may be normal if people in our society have to find flaws in others who lost weight the healthy way, and are happy for people who did it getting sick.

Hey, but NO LOOSE SKIN! EVERYONE, GET AN AUTOIMMUNE DISORDER, GO GET CANCER, OR JUST EAT A TAPEWORM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 09-18-19, 12:10 AM  
Sand

I've been a multitude of sizes. I was the heavy kid, teen, adult. When I was diagnosed with Graves disease, I lost a bunch of weight without dieting or exercise because my heart was in overdrive.

After my diagnosis, I gained a ton of it back because I hadn't changed my diet. That's what lead me to overhaul my diet and turn to exercise as a positive coping mechanism. Due to my medication, I have periods of gain or loss. At this point, I'm just looking to a happy medium.

Then I've had vitiligo since childhood. I was diagnosed at four years old so there has never been a memory where my skin wasn't spotted. I now have vitiligo universalis, what is what Michael Jackson had later in life. I have no melanin left in my skin. Tied to my vitiligo is poliosis where my hair has also lost melanin and I've also dealt with alopecia. I had to shave my head at one point because I had lost so much hair.

Because of all this, I can tell the sincerity of people when they are giving me an actual compliment or a back handed compliment. At my heaviest, I knew I had to do something about it but didn't know how to start.

Consider yourself blessed if you've never been in that position or a position of illness! Trust me, so many people who struggle with weight turned to food to cope with whatever trauma they've experienced.

I do love this new body acceptance movement because for the first time in my life, I see myself reflected in others. And not specific to one facet of who I am but multiple facets of who I am and who so many of us are, at various stages of our lives!
Old 09-18-19, 05:44 AM  
amoodygirl

I've been thinking about this post since I first read it yesterday. I find it disturbing and judgmental. We are all going to age, whether we like it or not. Some of us age better than others. Yes, sometimes losing weight and the fat on our faces makes us look older. Personally I'd rather look older but be healthy and fit.

Women have to stop judging other women. Maybe that's why I prefer the company of animals and men more than most women.

Diane

Never have I been a blue calm sea
I have always been a storm

Fleetwood Mac (Stevie Nicks)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Diane
Old 09-18-19, 05:51 AM  
sherry7899

Quote:
Originally Posted by amoodygirl View Post
I've been thinking about this post since I first read it yesterday. I find it disturbing and judgmental. We are all going to age, whether we like it or not. Some of us age better than others. Yes, sometimes losing weight and the fat on our faces makes us look older. Personally I'd rather look older but be healthy and fit.

Women have to stop judging other women. Maybe that's why I prefer the company of animals and men more than most women.

Diane
Well said!

Sand, I am so sorry for how much you have been through

I hate how there is such an emphasis on looks in our society, especially for aging women. How about being grateful just to be alive-what does it matter if our face looks older? My husband had a friend who's wife passed at aged 31 from ovarian cancer, leaving behind their eight month old son. I'm sure he wouldn't care how old she looked if she were still alive.

The cat in my avatar is my sweetheart named Bonkers
Old 09-18-19, 08:11 AM  
H_Lo

I'm sorry if it seems like I hijacked this thread. I was only posting my experience on the flip side. I'm a long time lurker and don't post things too frequently.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennifer P. View Post
Don't look at your loose skin, just concentrate on how you feel. I bet you feel a lot better now, are healthier, and have more fun, considering you have at least one hobby to look forward to (exercising! ) Congratulations!
Thanks Jennifer P! I can definitely thank this forum for leading me to The Firm and all the other threads that led me to buy Leslie, Slim in 6, KCM, etc. LOL!

Quote:
Originally Posted by leigh1673 View Post
Please do not let anybody get you down! You have done an AMAZING job losing weight and I'm sure you are MUCH vibrant and healthier now. Trust and believe that most people are only seeing the fruits of your accomplishments, and not the excess skin (I know we are our own worst critics; it's hard to quiet those negative thoughts sometimes).
Thank you leigh1673! You are definitely right in saying that we are our own worst critics! Couldn't have said it any better myself!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lannette View Post
Congratulations on your weight loss! So few are able to achieve what you have achieved! I’m sorry that this thread made you feel depressed.
Thanks Lannette! I try to change my thoughts when the negative voices in my head start to creep in. I couldn't resist the urge to click on this thread when I saw the title even though I knew it was probably going to start those intrusive thoughts in my head again. I just keep trying every day to get better at that. I don't always succeed though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taiga View Post
You have a son You accomplished so much and you improved your chances of being there for him---both in quality and quantity of life. You can go places and do things that were out of reach until you persevered. Celebrate the strength in your muscles & lungs and ignore the negative stuff. The modern world and its social media can be full of CR*P. It will tell you that you're too fat, too skinny, too smooth, too wrinkly, too bulky etc whatever. There will always be some complaint or criticism out there. So don't take advice from that crowd! Decide what thoughts make you HAPPY and don't give up one golden moment of your life to shallow observers. You have plenty of power and it all starts with keeping them out of your head and helpless

Big congratulations to you
Thank you so much for your positivity Taiga!!! I think I will read your post to help with the negative thoughts when I start feeling down on myself. You are so right about the modern world and social media! I'm not even on Facebook for that reason and yet it's so hard to avoid anything appearance related. Thanks again for your kind words!!!
Old 09-18-19, 08:23 AM  
yogapam
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sherry7899 View Post
I hate how there is such an emphasis on looks in our society, especially for aging women. How about being grateful just to be alive-what does it matter if our face looks older? My husband had a friend who's wife passed at aged 31 from ovarian cancer, leaving behind their eight month old son. I'm sure he wouldn't care how old she looked if she were still alive.
So sad about your DH’s friend! Yes I agree Sherry, so much emphasis on appearance more than health, especially for women. Aging is a privilege and we should celebrate it.

Certified Level 4 Essentrics Instructor - March 2021

Hatha YTT - 2011

Your body keeps an accurate journal regardless of what you write down.....

"Take care of your body. It's the only place you have to live."
Jim Rohn

"It’s not what we do once in a while that shapes our lives, but what we do consistently.” - Tony Robbins

Check out my Instagram account, @fitness.ficti0n.inspirati0n
Closed Thread

Tags
weight loss