Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-21-23, 09:01 AM  
Pat58
VF Supporter

Arnold S. on walking, health and improved mood

I've been enjoying Arnold's weekday motivational emails, The Pump Daily. Today's message on the benefits of walking is really good! I can't find a direct link so here is a little redacted content from the email (the first half was on the benefits of lifting your mood):

The bad mood buster

"The next time you’re having trouble seeing a better future, a 30-minute walk outside can extinguish your negative thoughts and lift your mood.

As a matter of fact, last week I got up at 5:45 to do my chores and feed the animals and I felt a little depressed. I wasn’t as excited as I normally am to see the animals and start my morning routine. I felt off. I said to myself, “You have no reason to be upset.” But then instead of thinking, I did what I always tell you to do. I stopped my brain and went about my routine, and as I walked around to the animals, I felt a little better but still not like myself. Then I went on my bike ride and trained at the gym, and by breakfast, it was like a black and white TV turned to color. I was back to my normal self. I don’t know why I felt down -- I don’t know enough about brain chemistry, but I do know that the things we talk about in here work. That’s why I practice what we preach.

One of the reasons we struggle with hopeful thinking is something psychologists call “rumination.” You know it as those moments where you overanalyze everything, including your life, friendships, jobs, and that thing you said to someone you no longer speak with back in junior year of high school. When you ruminate, it increases negative thoughts, and that begins a domino effect that can influence thinking, problem-solving, and self-perception…and then the cycle continues.

The combination of walking and being outdoors is like hitting the reset button on your mindset. Walking can disrupt the feedback loop of negative thoughts and elevate mood, and being in the outdoors redirections attention and shifts your focus.

Just 20 minutes per day is all it took for mood-lifting improvements. And the icing on the cake? If you do that seven days per week, you also will achieve the recommendation of 150 minutes of exercise per week, which is associated with longer life and less disease."

If you want to sign up for The Pump Daily: https://schwarzenegger.ck.page/0943ca5e13
Pat58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-23, 09:23 AM  
cyana

I think the "rumination" tendency is such a great point. In yoga, you'll see recommendations to write things down that you want to get rid of and burn them at the end of the year. When I've done one of those ceremonies, the things I burn are always those ruminations that nag at me - could I have done more in a situation, etc. Things I can't change, but continue to analyze to death.

A good walk or a good weed-pulling session are better than any pill!

"I've decided to grow old disgracefully." - Twigs
cyana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-23, 09:36 AM  
summer breeze
VF Supporter

Good article. Thanks for sharing, Pat.

I'm a big fan of outdoor walking, it's meditative for me. I always feel better after an outdoor walk.
summer breeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-23, 10:00 AM  
anetta

Thank you.

I also love my daily walk, call it my "happy Hour"

Anita
anetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-23, 10:52 AM  
alisoncooks

I love that! Thanks for sharing.

Don’t quote because I’ll delete this part: my youngest teen was having some mental health struggles last year, and we were having a really hard time finding a therapist that had openings. So, in the meanwhile we implemented a “better mental health” plan. Walking outside daily has been a part of it (also: less internet, creating art, playing the instrument, etc). We are still on waitlists for therapy but the above have helped.
alisoncooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-23, 11:03 AM  
fatkat555

I always feel better after walking the dogs IF I make sure I don’t have phone in hand.

You have to make a mess, sometimes, to clean it up.

DISCLOSURE: I have a professional relationship with a seller or producer of fitness videos or products. For details, please see my profile.
fatkat555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-23, 12:33 PM  
Izzy

Quote:
Originally Posted by summer breeze View Post
Good article. Thanks for sharing, Pat.

I'm a big fan of outdoor walking, it's meditative for me. I always feel better after an outdoor walk.
Me too. I have walked outside for years. Not only does it have physical health benefits but it has helped me emotionally and mentally as well. During COVID it was my life saver.
Old 03-21-23, 01:03 PM  
Gams

I like the idea of walking outside, but I’ve encountered too many issues - dogs running loose and attacking my dog, bears running loose 😆, etc.
Gams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-23, 01:28 PM  
bzar
Exchange Moderator

tangent about Arnold:

found this short vintage video by Jimmy Kimmel about Arnold when he was CA governor - I think you all will get a chuckle out of it:

Arnold and dumbbells:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LqIPqh90fm0

Miyagi: Wax on, right hand. Wax off, left hand. Wax on, wax off. Breathe in through nose, out the mouth. Wax on, wax off. Don't forget to breathe, very important.
[walks away, still making circular motions with hands] ~ Pat Morita, The Karate Kid, 1984

disclosure: in the years 2002-2004 i had a professional relationship with a distributor of fitness videos; see profile.
bzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-23, 01:32 PM  
Fonzie
VF Supporter

Thanks for sharing the article. Walking outdoors daily helps me manage my anxiety and that negative feedback loop. Getting outside, noticing a new leaf, flower, a bird call--it forces me to be in the moment and gets me out of my head.
Fonzie is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
arnold schwarzenegger, outdoor walking, walking