Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > Challenges and Check-ins

Old 03-22-23, 04:46 PM  
Vantreesta

I got home from AZ a few hours ago. I unloaded the car, texted a little and then took a nap. I'd like some more nap, please! Gotta go walk Cyric and get back into the swing of things. Hubby might be disappointed I'm not cooking tonight but he'll love the cookies I baked to bring home for him. I will go to bed decent tonight and hopefully sleep like a log. The hotel I stayed in Monday night was a dump plus didn't make me feel the safest. Thankfully Cyric was with me but I still slept in my clothes and the TV and one light on. I was up at 5 yesterday to get out of there as soon as I could. Last night was a fabulous room and I slept okay but I stayed up till 11:00 so didn't sleep long enough. The trip takes me like 30 hours so I'm looking forward to doing little to nothing tmrw!
You don't have to be fast, just keep moving forward.
Note to self: You don't get to complain about things you won't work to change!

Word for 2024: Accomplished; Word for 2023: Grounded; Word for 2022: Consistency; Word for 2021: Mindfulness
Vantreesta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-23, 09:57 AM  
LiliMagill
VF Supporter

Vantreesta - that's a long trip, rest up and recover! At least you had Cyric with you. Not feeling safe in a motel/hotel is never a good feeling.
Cleda - I'm trying to get back to doing Peloton workouts more than once a week. You talk about all of these instructors that I haven't tried and I want to try them all!
Waves to Helen!

We picked up the new computer, got everything set up except for Norton, but we'll figure it out eventually. So far, so good.

3/20 - dog walk
Firm Burn & Shape, 41 min.
Body Project's 10 Min. Fat Burner
3/21 - dog walk
1 hour of gardening
3000 Steps Disco Funk w/ GetFitWithRick
1 1/2 hours of pickleball
3/22 - dog walk
Unplugged E2015
Speed Walk 3000 Steps w/GFWR

Hubby's golf partner has gotten into pickleball and asked us if we'd like to play. We met at a new pickleball court with another golf buddy and they gave us all the basics. I think I even got the scoring down, which I never came close to understanding during our lesson last summer. We really enjoyed it and plan on getting together again next week!

“Let us rather run the risk of wearing out than rusting out.” Teddy Roosevelt
LiliMagill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-23, 05:30 AM  
Cleda
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiliMagill View Post

Hubby's golf partner has gotten into pickleball and asked us if we'd like to play. We met at a new pickleball court with another golf buddy and they gave us all the basics. I think I even got the scoring down, which I never came close to understanding during our lesson last summer. We really enjoyed it and plan on getting together again next week!

Ohhhhh ohhhh ohhhh .. This warms my heart. Makes all the difference in the world (the group you play with.) If you got the scoring down? You're good to go!!!! Welcome to the world of pickleball .....

Cleda
Cleda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-23, 06:02 AM  
Helen

Ugh - upgrading is expensive! Bill Gates recently said this:

"If General Motors had kept up with the technology like the computer industry has, we would all be driving $25.00 cars that got 1,000 miles to the gallon.”

To which General Motors replied with this:

If cars developed like computers....
  1. "For no reason whatsoever, your car would crash twice a day.
  2. Every time they repainted the lines in the road, you would have to buy a new car.
  3. Occasionally your car would die on the freeway for no reason. You would have to pull over to the side of the road, close all of the windows, shut off the car, restart it, and reopen the windows before you could continue. For some reason, you would simply accept this.
  4. Occasionally, executing a maneuver such as a left turn would cause your car to shut down and refuse to restart, in which case you would have to reinstall the engine.
  5. Macintosh would make a car that was powered by the sun, was reliable, five times as fast and twice as easy to drive – but would run on only five percent of the roads.
  6. The oil, water temperature, and alternator warning lights would all be replaced by a single “General Protection Fault” warning light.
  7. The airbag system would ask “Are you sure?” before deploying.
  8. Occasionally, for no reason whatsoever, your car would lock you out and refuse to let you in until you simultaneously lifted the door handle, turned the key and grabbed hold of the radio antenna.
  9. Every time GM introduced a new car, car buyers would have to learn to drive all over again because none of the controls would operate in the same manner as the old car.
  10. You’d have to press the “Start” button to turn the engine off."

As to the last one, I DO push the 'start' button to turn the engine off.
BUT I'd like to add, that every time you bought a new car, you'd have to replace every single vehicle related accessory as the old things won't work in the new car.

Anyway - turning up to report that buddy-Kathyrn has saved me from myself:
41min, Cathe - LITE - Metabolic Blast
where Cathe used 3, 5 & 8lb bells; I used 5.5, 7.7, & 9.9lb instead - no problems.

LILI
Ooohhh... another pickleball player has joined the movement! Another 2!
Disco Funk? Whoah - I would look ... just.... awkward.

VANNIE
That's a hellishly long drive! Sorry that you were so uncomfortable in the dodgy hotel. Ick.

CLEDA
I can see you're using your FitBit as your steps are healthy in my list.

Other
The hideous heat dropped but the humidity didn't until last night - when a huge thunderstorm hit. What it had been building to I suppose. Alice was stressy & I had Kathryn's new puppy with me for the evening, so was on the couch, puppy on my lap, Alice between my extended legs & doing maths whilst watching TV.
• Resistance training is critical. 💯

¹ Walk first
² Weights next
³ Cardio for fun
⁴ Add stretch & balance.
Helen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-23, 12:10 PM  
LiliMagill
VF Supporter

3/24 - dog walk
Jessica's 360 Abs

Old 03-25-23, 01:51 AM  
Helen

FINALLY - under 85F (only 72F)!!
35min, Cathe - Intensity - Cardio & Weights, with Kathryn
done early afternoon, to get it in before her visitors arrived.

It's SO doable at this temperature! Looking forward to winter workouts! Even Autumn, now that it's finally here.

Oh - DH left on Tuesday, probably gone until he MUST come home for 25th April, as we have tickets for the ballet then.
• Resistance training is critical. 💯

¹ Walk first
² Weights next
³ Cardio for fun
⁴ Add stretch & balance.
Helen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-23, 09:23 AM  
Cleda
VF Supporter

checking in

Helen: I felt guilty not wearing the FitBit. It's such a simple thing. So I got "Unmad" at the battery issue, ordered a couple of new clips, a new zip for when this one wears out and put it back on. So you are right, I'm back to wearing it. (now I have to go and look at my dashboard. I rarely do that.).

Interesting about General Motors and it's like redecorating - you get one thing and then start changing and redoing 9 million others. Computers are no exception. Especially with how fast technology moved (there for awhile, it seems to have slowed down a little bit? Or I'm just older and don't upgrade as much.).

We are heading into our spring. And although it wasn't a bad winter, I am looking forward to spring and summer. Just something about being outside in that sunshine!!!

on to me:

3/22/23: 30 minutes 80s ride
with Bradley Rose (for the challenge), 1.5 hours of pickleball.

3/23/23 - PALINDROME DAY
... and don't think I wasn't shouting it from the rooftops to anyone and everyone who would listen! 20 mins. Emma's HIIT ride & 15 mins. Bradley Low impact

3/24/23: REST DAY

Pickleball was not crowded this week, so the rotations went quickly. Probably about 20 of us. 3 courts rotating (12 players) so went fast.

Met a friend for coffee that day at a cute little coffee shop. Had a wonderful time. Server was from Ireland. Interesting conversations.

Waves to all.
Cleda
Cleda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-23, 01:36 PM  
Vantreesta

Hey, guys! I think I'm back in the land of the living now. I haven't felt great since Thursday afternoon, and yesterday I barely even left the couch. My stomach feels better now (pretty sure everything just got off track with traveling and eating poorly on the road), just have the remainder of a headache from not drinking enough yesterday. Really hoping to get back to routine on Monday. Poor Cyric hardly got any attention yesterday and no walks. He is the most patient dog!

I didn't do a whole lot for activity in AZ, besides walks with Cyric (and sometimes Dad) and my foot exercises (but not every day). Dad and I hoed the weeds out of our little family cemetery one day, my aunt and I walked about 6 miles one day, and she and I went to the Ren Fest last Saturday. It's so weird going not in garb! But we had a really nice day. and I bought a scarf and necklace and 3 more spiders. No rings, which is shocking! Otherwise Dad and I hung out, mostly watching TV (including rewatching the entire Longmire series, which we both love) and movies. We had a get together for my grandma's 88th birthday and I spent a few days with her over the course of my visit. She has Parkinson's, which is getting worse, and she's also starting to show signs of dementia. I wanted to spend as much time as I could with her. We also had supper with my brother and his family a couple times. It was a really good trip, and I'm so glad I have the freedom to spend that much time when I go. The trip was delayed a couple days bc of the snowstorm here. I drove in horrific wind with gusts up to like 70 across New Mexico but otherwise the drive out there was fine. On my way home I had snow/rain mix in New Mexico and rain in Iowa but nothing bad at all. I really enjoy road trips but it's always nice to get off the road for the day. I listened to music, podcasts and baseball while I drove. Cyric is the best traveler you could ask for. Even easier than humans! Although since he doesn't talk back he doesn't help much if I get sleepy. Anyway, I had planned to only be there two weeks but a couple days before I was set to head home hubby and I talked and decided I should stay a few extra days to see everyone, especially Grandma, more and I'm so glad we decided that. All the same, it was really good to get home and see him after so long away.

Cleda, I'm surprised you can still get a Zip! My Ftibit buddies and I have joined Stridekick so we can still do challenges. Still just ticked at Fitbit/Google for doing away with them!

Helen, loved the GM technology comeback. Glad it's cooling off some there.

Lili, I keep thinking I should try a Get Fit With Rick but haven't yet. Glad you're learning more about pickleball! I'm sure it makes it more enjoyable.

I'm bummed that the foot of snow we got right before I left (to add to what was already on the ground) is almost all gone. But trying to look on the bright side, I don't have to resume my running on the treadmill but can go outside to do it. I was planning to start again at Dad's since the weather was warmer and no possibility of ice but it never happened. Some of it was laziness bc I usually do workout some while I'm there, but I also I just felt like visiting was more important.
You don't have to be fast, just keep moving forward.
Note to self: You don't get to complain about things you won't work to change!

Word for 2024: Accomplished; Word for 2023: Grounded; Word for 2022: Consistency; Word for 2021: Mindfulness
Vantreesta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-23, 03:36 PM  
LiliMagill
VF Supporter

Vantreesta - What a nice trip! It's great that you got to spend so much time with family, especially your grandmother. Sorry to hear you were feeling badly once you got home, good that you are getting better.
Cleda - I wish I had known about palindrome day. One reason my goal is to live to 101 is because it's a palindrome!
Helen - So glad your temps are coming down, sorry that hubby will be gone so long. Thanks for the General Motors/computer comparison! I showed hubby, too.

3/24 - Lift w/ Cee, Wt Training over 40 #28
3/25 - TURD (entertaining that evening, so cooking and cleaning all day)
3/26 - LwC #27
20 Min. Beginner Run w/ Olivia on treadmill
dog walk
3/27 - Finally back to hiking! 5 miles w/ hubby, then a short dog walk later.

Old 03-29-23, 12:14 PM  
LiliMagill
VF Supporter

3/28 - dog walk
1 hour of gardening
Lift w/ Cee #12, 21 min.
2000's R&B Walking W/O, GFWR (Get Fit w/ Rick), 12 min.
Kelly Clarkson Beginner Rebounding w/ Jump & Jacked, 15 min.