Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 05-14-06, 08:33 AM  
tinamatas

Question Neck pain with certain exercises

To those of you who have neck problems, such as pain after strength training, what specific exercises have you been told to avoid? Overhead/shoulder press? Lateral raises? Do you find that doing these types of exercises worsens your neck pain, particularly after the workout?

Tina
tinamatas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-06, 11:31 AM  
Tish

I don't have any suggestions on what to avoid but I do know keeping the shoulders down with overhead work makes a huge difference. And I wanted to mention that Miracle Balls work wonders with neck pain. I had neck DOMS last night and rested on a ball for about ten minutes and the muscle cramp was gone.
Tish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-06, 12:34 PM  
Kimberly33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tish
I don't have any suggestions on what to avoid but I do know keeping the shoulders down with overhead work makes a huge difference. And I wanted to mention that Miracle Balls work wonders with neck pain. I had neck DOMS last night and rested on a ball for about ten minutes and the muscle cramp was gone.
My experience has been similar to this as well (both parts). Think of your shoulderblades as wings, and keep them tucked into your torso and moving down your back. My traps (the muscles at the top of the shoulder, leading into the neck) want to do all of the work, and when I let them, my neck becomes unhappy. Distributing the work lower seems to take the pressure off of the neck.

In addition to the Miracle balls, lying on a flat tennis ball can be really helpful. It's much more intense, but I find it really helps to release knots in my back and shoulders, and as a result, the neck.

Set the gearshift for the high gear of your soul
You've got to run like an antelope, out of control. (Phish)

Can't control the kittens!
Too many whiskers. Too many whiskers
(Sleep Talkin' Man)
Kimberly33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-06, 09:16 PM  
Mike Zen

My take...

I've been diagnosed with cervical spondylosis (degeneration of the discs in the neck which causes pressure/pinching on the nerve) for the past 18 years thereby causing me pain in the neck and shoulders for the longest time. For me, going to the chiropractor or massage therapy on a regular basis helps me to manage it so that I can work out.

In terms of strength work which I do in my gym, I have no issue with using heavy weights but I avoid behind the neck military presses as I feel it makes me crane my neck forwards while lifting thereby causing more strain. Also, I avoid front military presses with barbells and prefer to work my shoulders with dumbell presses because it's easier to align the dumbells next to your ears when you press up and down.

For me, what cause my neck to stiffen are pilates (esp when the series of 100, single leg stretch, double leg stretch, scissors are done consecutively without break) and Callanetics Stomach (where you have you raise your neck and do the pulses 500 times!). In short, any exercise which requires me to lift my neck and head for extended periods. But the strain has decreased as my core strength improved.

If visting a chiro/therapist on a regular basis is an issue, I would suggest that you do yoga to ease the pain. It does help a lot.

Good luck
Mike
Mike Zen is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
miracle balls, neck pain