Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-26-04, 01:20 PM  
Jane P.
VF Supporter

I think if you do some of Cathe's ball work from the Pyramids or the core only premix from Bootcamp that you would have an easier time with the TLPs. The TLPs have some balance moves with weights, that Cathe doesn't get into, but her core work is very "functional".
Old 11-26-04, 06:00 PM  
janetb
VF Supporter

The common elements of Firms, Fitprimes, and TLPs: it's all highly choreographed strength training (though newer Firms are much less choreographed than Anna Benson Firms), mixing things up with the training of different body parts and activities (like cardio and weights), and lots of equipment changes and transition of activities between songs.

Firms are mostly just a combination of basic strength training and cardio. Nothing too fancy I don't think, though I haven't seen BSS3.

TLPs are functional fitness. The fundamental difference as far as I see it is that you train your body more for specific movements than you are just simply targeting muscle groups. They involve many large range of motion moves, with lots of rotation for the core, hips, and shoulders. Lots of moves involve multiple muscle groups, some with multi-planar movements (like simultaneously lunging forward and twisting your torso to the side). Balance is also challenged a lot, which brings into function more of the smaller, oft-neglected stabilizer muscles. I see the 1st three TLPs as more pure functional training. The Tracie-led Yorktowns are aptly named "Functional Foundations"; the moves themselves aren't really that functional (as compared to the 1st set), but they specifically target training of the smaller underutilized muscles that are so important for functional fitness.

Fitprimes are hardest to classify in a neat category. I see them as mostly strength or AWT training, but they adopt moves from many other disciplines into their routines like yoga, pilates, ballet, and functional fitness.

Both Fitprimes and TLPs are high on the innovative/weirdness scale, depending on your point of view. They are workouts which are often hard to "get" the first time you do them and are more of an acquired taste. I totally love the TLPs, and appreciate new things about them each time I do them. The only FPs I really like are Steamin Cardio and Strong Bear. I just find Anna Benson's choreography style more gimmicky than effective. I know others find her unique style very motivating, but for me she fuses too many different elements together in a way that just doesn't work well.

Janet
janetb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-04, 08:03 PM  
windyh
VF Supporter

The only FitPrime that I have is CrunchTime with Susan Harris. It is fun but to me seemed easier than the classic Firms. None of the other FitPrimes appealed to me judging from the clips.

I love the TLP's and find them very refreshing and different but not weird. The set on the first 3 is pretty awful though. The Yorktowns are my favorites and alternating these two workouts gave me the best shoulder definition of my life. They are not in my current rotation but I will be sure to pull them out before sleeveless weather rolls around again.

Windy
windyh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-04, 09:48 PM  
RuthNYC
VF Supporter

JanetB described the similarities and differences well...

and I agree with most points except that Fitprimes, to me, are not gimmicky at all. Yes, some moves are quite different and they do involve a lot of simultaneous activities--you sometimes work on strength,cardio,balance and coordination all in one move--but if you get the form right, the "weird" moves can be very effective. Fitprimes have a graceful, almost dancer-like quality to them. Somehow, that reminds me of the pre-goodtimes Firms, mainly the Classics and the Crosstrainers. I think the FPs are close to the Classics in intensity.

I also don't think that the first 3 FPs are significantly "weirder" than the rest--perhaps not as smoothly choreographed but they are very tough.

Gymratt--did you try CoreFirst? What did you think?

The TLPs are also great workouts. I see Anna's influence in the BSS Firms and TLP and I like rotating between Firms,FP and TLP. They seem to complement each other well.

RuthNYC
RuthNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-04, 09:54 PM  
GymRatt
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RuthNYC
Gymratt--did you try CoreFirst? What did you think?
Not yet, I'm waiting till i get to my new home. FitPrimes will be my new 2005 workouts, if I end up liking them...
GymRatt is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
everything the firm, firm history, mark henriksen