Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 11-25-04, 03:15 PM  
GymRatt
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by isa
Anna sold the Firm to Goodtimes (a large company) because of a lawsuit that cost her lots of money. They won the lawsuit but the company was broke because of the legal fees...
That's interesting...what was the nature of the lawsuit?
GymRatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-04, 03:18 PM  
Debbie M

Only have TLP and have seen Fitprime

Since everything I have seen and read about the new Firms shows that they are the same general style as the classic Firms, TLP is not similar.

Tracie has completely moved away from Anna's teachings and become certified with NASM. Her and all her staff are certified through this body with the focus on functional training.

Tracie states thst she suffered many muscle imbalances and some chronic pain from doing the type of work in the original Firms.

Her philosophy now is to strengthen the core and our smaller supportive muscles that are not used in traditional lifting in order to prepare the body for more intense work. You are suppossed to progress through developing the proper body alignment and core strength, move on to functional strength moves (moving in different planes than you do it Firm workouts) and then add power moves while still moving in multidirectional planes.

Tracie says that she has never looked and felt better in her life due to training this way.

I have now viewed two Fitprimes (taped for me) and was underwhelmed. I found them weird (and I love functional work). I thought it was just strange. I thought many moves were just plain weird with no real goal except to look weird! I think Anna went over the top with strength, cardio, yoga etc, in every workout. The non-dominant principle is unique to Fitprime too, if I am correct. I know some people really like them. I can see that they do bring balance and core into play but so do Body Bar, BOSU etc. without being so darn weird (not to mention the low production quality and eyesore sets).

The only thing that I can see running through most off them is the lack of pure cardio or pure strength. Tracie's first DVD Core Foundations would be the exception. In that sense I do see the original teachings following all three offerings. Even though the Yorktowns are called Core Cardio and Core Strength, there is some cardio in the strength and some strength in the cardio in a Firm like way. These are not like a classic Firm but more like when they called workouts pure cardio or pure sculpting when they always still had an element of AWT in them.

Deb

Last edited by Debbie M; 11-26-04 at 01:12 AM. Reason: fixed NASM
Debbie M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-04, 03:34 PM  
isa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Debbie M

I have now viewed two Fitprimes (taped for me) and was underwhelmed. I found them weird (and I love functional work). I thought it was just strange. I thought many moves were just plain weird with no real goal except to look weird! I think Anna went over the top with strength, cardio, yoga etc, in every workout. The non-dominant principle is unique to Fitprime too, if I am correct. I know some people really like them. I can see that they do bring balance and core into play but so do Body Bar, BOSU etc. without being so darn weird (not to mention the low production quality and eyesore sets).

Deb
Just curious: which one did you view? Because the first three Fitprimes are much "weirder" than the others. Not a lot of people like the first three, but lots of people like other seven. I got great results when I started to incorporate lots Fitprime workouts in my rotation, so I think the exercises are not just there for no reason than to be weird, for me they really work.

I have to say that I honestly donīt find the other seven Fitprimes "weird". An example of a Fitprime exercise is that you stand on one leg when you do tricep extensions (great for the core and balance). The only thing that is a bit weird is the handstand on the tall box. But I kinda like that one as well, but I can see why people would find that a weird exercise.

Edit: maybe my post sounds a bit like "You have to like them". Itīs not meant that way .
isa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-04, 04:51 PM  
GymRatt
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Debbie M
Tracie has completely moved away from Anna's teachings and become certified with ACSM. Her and all her staff are certified through this body with the focus on functional training.

Tracie states thst she suffered many muscle imbalances and some chronic pain from doing the type of work in the original Firms.
Has she ever been specifc about what this means? Are there specific moves (or sequences of moves) from the old FIRMS that she claims led to this?
GymRatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-04, 05:10 PM  
Jane P.
VF Supporter

There are some clips to view at the Fitprime website. Some of them are quite long as I recall. I don't know how to describe it, but Anna's workouts have an almost asthetic quality to them. She has a unique way of sequencing things and combining moves. Some people like it, some hate it, but it is her own gift.

Tracie's new training is based a lot on sports conditioning drills. Her workouts contain moves like doing tick tocks with your feet while passing a medicine ball from hand to hand over your head. She also does a lot of stability ball work such as side planks while holding the ball between your legs. Rather than having you do straight lunges, you lunge in all directions of the clock. She also has you turning your upper body to the side when you lunge. These are subtle variations that challenge your balance and co-ordination. Hope this helps.
Old 11-25-04, 05:54 PM  
punky3333
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by GymRatt
Some vf'ers have described the moves in TLP and FP as 'weird'...has that weirdness gone away over time? Do you know see a 'purpose' in the moves, or do you think they're just different to be different?
A lot of the TLP's and some of the older Fitprimes (I haven't seen the newer) have a lot of I forget the proper word for it - multi-limb movements - i.e. lunge with overhead press. Some of these moves are very challenging and IMHO require a lot of concentration on form and core strength to execute properly. If I am tired, or sloppy, there is risk for injury. However, if you concentrate, and perform these moves properly and really engage the core, then you are getting a lot of bang for your buck.

Just depends what you like - some people like COMPOUND (that's the word I was looking for) moves and others hate them.

I think that's what the "wierd" is.

I think.....

punky3333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-04, 05:56 PM  
isa

Quote:
Originally Posted by punky3333

I think that's what the "wierd" is.

I think.....

I think youīre right !
isa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-04, 05:58 PM  
punky3333
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jane P.
There are some clips to view at the Fitprime website. Some of them are quite long as I recall. I don't know how to describe it, but Anna's workouts have an almost asthetic quality to them. She has a unique way of sequencing things and combining moves. Some people like it, some hate it, but it is her own gift.

Tracie's new training is based a lot on sports conditioning drills. Her workouts contain moves like doing tick tocks with your feet while passing a medicine ball from hand to hand over your head. She also does a lot of stability ball work such as side planks while holding the ball between your legs. Rather than having you do straight lunges, you lunge in all directions of the clock. She also has you turning your upper body to the side when you lunge. These are subtle variations that challenge your balance and co-ordination. Hope this helps.
I think that's an excellent description of the TLP's - they are very functional and I would assume they would add strength to your every day moves.

The Fitprimes were too funky for my taste - funky sets, funky clothes, funky music. Too "woo-woo" (it that what Alta would call it?? hehehe) for me.
punky3333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-04, 06:07 PM  
Debbie M

Fitprime

Quote:
Originally Posted by isa
Just curious: which one did you view? Because the first three Fitprimes are much "weirder" than the others.

I have to say that I honestly donīt find the other seven Fitprimes "weird". An example of a Fitprime exercise is that you stand on one leg when you do tricep extensions (great for the core and balance). The only thing that is a bit weird is the handstand on the tall box. But I kinda like that one as well, but I can see why people would find that a weird exercise.

Edit: maybe my post sounds a bit like "You have to like them". Itīs not meant that way .

Hi there,

Aw, you know that I love passionate opinions, I would nver take your post as "You have to like them".

I should state first that I dislike the pre-Goddtimes Firms very much so I am not a Firmie kinda gal. Now, GymRatt has me coveting the BSS Firms since she thinks they are different, so I will probably cave and try some of these! LOL

Fitprimes that I watched were "G-Force" and I think the other one was called "Weights First" (have to check the tape).

I thought they were both awful. My main complaint with G-Force was getting off the rebounder for useless (IMHO) weight intervals and the production quality. The other one was just plain strange.

I do not think balancing on one foot and doing upper body movements is weird. I am a huge balance/functional fitness fan. I do this type of thing (on a balance disc, no less) all the time.

I generally don't like Anna's concepts so this is probably an issue.

Hey, this sounds like a job for Liz N!!!! (Sorry Liz. )

She is already going to do a thorough review of the TLP Yorktowns. Maybe she would look at an older Firm, a newer Firm and a Fitprime and give us some comparative reviews from a pros point of view!

Deb
Old 11-25-04, 06:21 PM  
Debbie M

Tracie's comments....

Quote:
Originally Posted by GymRatt
Has she ever been specifc about what this means? Are there specific moves (or sequences of moves) from the old FIRMS that she claims led to this?
GymRatt,

I do not remember now which movements she felt led to her shoulder and back pain. She just generally decided that the type of lifting done in her whole workout history including the Firm workouts and her own work at the gym was not functional. She has a strong belief that doing endless step ups (she did mention that) and lat rows (mentioned that one too, but not as singling it out) caused her to develop pain and a limit in ROM because she had not worked on the smaller supporting muscles.

The threads where she spoke about her own feelings are old and I am not sure they are even transferred to the new V forum.

She does still have a testimonial statement in general about her movement to what she is doing now called "Why functional fitness?" It talks about her journey and her results, but not in the detail that some older threads did.

You have to be a member of V to read the link.

http://www.justv.net/forums/showthre...0899#post10899

If you are not, I can send it to you in a creative fashion if you wish to read it.

Sorry, I do not remember more.

Deb

Tags
everything the firm, firm history, mark henriksen