Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 11-25-04, 12:54 PM  
GymRatt
VF Supporter

What are the fundamental differences between FIRMBss, Fitprime, & TLP workouts?

Are they all 'sort of' the same because of Anna, or do they represent changes in philosophy now that there are 3 'divisions' - so to speak?

I'm guessing that the TLP's are more 'functional'-based (even though I'm not sure what that means.) Are the Yorktowns similar to the first 3 TLP's?

I've only seen 1 FitPrime (Core First), so I'm not sure where these fit. Based on the description, it seems like the FP's mix several different 'types' of exercise into each workout (ie some pilates, some yoga, some core, some weights, some cardio, etc.) Is this correct?

And the 'new' FIRMS? IMO, they are classic AWT - effective with nothing too fancy. (or is there something I'm missing?)

Thanks for any input. I'm just trying to figure out where all of these workout will fit into my collection...(and if I need to get my hands on those YorkTowns...)

GR
GymRatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-04, 01:09 PM  
jenevieve

I've been wondering this, too. If I have all of the BSS's, do I need the Fitprimes, TLPs, etc?
jenevieve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-04, 01:12 PM  
Carol_is_fit

Anna does not produce the "new" Firms or the TLP's. The TLP's are Tracie Long's babies. She broke away from Anna some time ago. The "new" Firms are produced by Goodtimes, even though there are some original Firm instructors in there. Since most of them got their initial training from Anna, I suppose some of her influence can be seen in them.

Carol
Old 11-25-04, 02:23 PM  
porter
VF Supporter

The Firms are AWT focused, the TLPs are core focused, and the Fitprimes are a mixture of the two.
porter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-04, 02:41 PM  
mbt

i don't have any tlp's (yet ), but there's definitely a noticeable difference between the new firms and fitprime's stuff. the firms are much more to the point basic athletic stuff, while fitprimes seem a bit more graceful maybe. with the fitprimes, you throw in yoga and balance moves, and the cardio deviates from traditional firm stuff. both follow the awt philosophy, and i can certainly see liking both. however, they're definitely not that similar.
mbt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-04, 02:57 PM  
Videophile

Hmmmmm

My understanding is that Anna Benson began the Firms and had to change the name of her company to "Fitprime" when there was a coup and people who were working for Anna wound up owning the "Firm" company . My only experience is with the "Classic" Firms, Anna's first "babies". TLP came into being when Tracie also broke away from Anna's company.

I've read over and over on VF that the "Classics" are the best. Even better than Fitprime. That's what prompted me to search them out and buy them. Since my only experience is with the "Classics", I can't compare them to TLP or the post Benson Firms or even Fitprime as the only Fitprime vid I have is "G-Force" which I bought only because it's a "rebound" vid. I'm not crazy about it because you have to jump on and off the rebounder. I'd rather stay either on the floor or the rebounder, period.

I've read critcism as well as praises of all three companies. Some on the workouts themselves and some on the customer service. My only interest is the workouts so I'm looking forward to Anna Benson's new workouts which will be released in December or January. It's a matter of the Devil you know vs. the Devil you don't know. However, since my income is limited (and I'm cheap) I won't jump on that bandwagon any more than I've jumped on any other bandwagon, but will wait for the reviews and get them on e-bay when everyone else gets tired of them.

I know that doesn't answer your question, but I had nothing better to do this morning than dispense my somewhat dubious wisdom

Nancy
Videophile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-04, 02:58 PM  
dianairene

I may want to buy some TLPs but I can't get the site to work. Does anyone else have this problem? Maybe I'm in the wrong place? I use a mac.
dianairene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-04, 03:03 PM  
GymRatt
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by porter
The Firms are AWT focused, the TLPs are core focused, and the Fitprimes are a mixture of the two.
LOL - that kind of sums it up! LOL!

Do the TLP's and the FitPrimes utilize the tall box?

I actually consider the new FIRMS to be more 'athletic' and straightforward in the types of moves compared to the 'classics'.

Some vf'ers have described the moves in TLP and FP as 'weird'...has that weirdness gone away over time? Do you know see a 'purpose' in the moves, or do you think they're just different to be different?
GymRatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-04, 03:10 PM  
isa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Videophile
My understanding is that Anna Benson began the Firms and had to change the name of her company to "Fitprime" when there was a coup and people who were working for Anna wound up owning the "Firm" company .
This is not true, Nancy. Anna sold the Firm to Goodtimes (a large company) because of a lawsuit that cost her lots of money. They won the lawsuit but the company was broke because of the legal fees. Not a coup whatsoever, some people who worked for the Firm with Anna, simply stayed there when it was bought by Goodtimes.
isa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-04, 03:15 PM  
isa

Quote:
Originally Posted by GymRatt
LOL - that kind of sums it up! LOL!

Do the TLP's and the FitPrimes utilize the tall box?

I actually consider the new FIRMS to be more 'athletic' and straightforward in the types of moves compared to the 'classics'.

Some vf'ers have described the moves in TLP and FP as 'weird'...has that weirdness gone away over time? Do you know see a 'purpose' in the moves, or do you think they're just different to be different?
Fitprimes use the tall box (a lot), the TLPīs donīt as far as I know (I havenīt bought them).

The one you have (Core First), is "weirder" than the later Fitprimes: FTGU, Crunchtime, Steaminī Cardio, Fast Cheetah. I donīt think theyīre weird though, they just incorporate lots of functional fitness exercises and compound moves instead of "straight plain old weight lifting". Some people donīt like that and find it weird, but I like it!

HTH!

Femke
isa is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
everything the firm, firm history, mark henriksen