Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 02-05-02, 04:31 PM  
smuha

I got mine too...

and previewed it during my lunch hour.

Joan's second paragraph are my thoughts exactly. I was composing what I was going to say when I saw Joan's post and realized I didn't need to repeat any of that.

For people who are wondering about the comparisons with Lower Body Split - to me, it doesn't seem like a fair comparison. I think what people might be trying to get across is the "work one leg then work the other" concept that's done in LBSp. You know how Better Body & Buns and Tough Tape both have lower body emphasis but they are total body workouts? That's more along the lines of what Weight First is like. But I think Weights First is harder. Somebody's already asked if Abs First is more of an upper body emphasis on the FitPrime forum so I guess we'll find out more when Anna, Tracie, or Susan post an answer.

I think some people were also wondering if it's a slow & heavy (tortoise) kind of tape. I can't say for sure until I do the tape but to me, the workout is the definition of aerobic weight training. Since I'm not at an advanced level for weights, I will probably do all lower body work with no weights at all and then heavy up for the upper body work. The strength moves seem to go at such a pace that you stay in an aerobic state almost the entire time. In fact, I'd say that the lower body work is more of a muscle endurance workout (think Standing Legs... or Meaner Legs).

My plan is to attempt this tape tomorrow morning and I'll post more about the workout itself after I've done it.
Old 02-05-02, 05:55 PM  
donnamaria
VF Supporter

hmmm ...

Did anyone get an email notification before it shipped? Or am I just spoiled by good customer service at other sites ...

Donna
donnamaria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-02, 06:59 PM  
SharonH
VF Supporter

Thanks, Joan!

Thank you, Joan, for your intelligent, concise comments on the production quality of Weights First. The more I hear of it, the more I don't like what I'm hearing of it. As much as I like a tough workout, I like decent production quality, too. That being said, have others found the new Firm tapes to be rather grainy, too? I know they are supposed to be in SP, but perhaps the tape they used wasn't of very high quality. Of course, I just did a lot of Cathe's workouts recently on DVD, so perhaps anything would look grainy after the crispness of the DVD format. The new fanny lifter though is first rate - very impressive quality.
SharonH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-02, 08:51 PM  
videogirl

I wondered if the look of the Fitprimes would be different from the Firms without Mark Henrikson. I have never known how much of the look was him or Anna. It sounds like the Firms professional quality of the shoot may have been Marks work. And that is what is lacking in the Fitprimes.

I'm wondering if Anna did the shooting? And if so was that a new experience for her.

I'm so longing for a buttkicking Firm workout. Can't wait for my Fitprime to come. I didn't bother with the new Firms I just had a feeling they would not be tough enough. Sounds like that feeling was accurate.
videogirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-02, 09:20 PM  
Diavolobella
VF Supporter

There were 2 camerapeople

on the credits for Fit Prime, and one of them was Anna herself. I think it's fairly clear that Mark Hendrickson is the one with most of the filming making experience. In fact, I think that was said outright in the Firm for Life book, when they talked about forming the company and what each person contributed. He was already a filmmaker.

If you want a tough workout, I wouldn't overlook the new Firms. I did them in the infomercial and Jen's tape is a butt kicker!!

"We all want the looooove...without the handles!" Tracy Effinger

DISCLOSURE: I have a professional relationship with a seller or producer of fitness videos or products. For details, please see my profile.
Diavolobella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-02, 09:23 PM  
Messe

In terms of production quality

I'm both surprised and disappointed. In terms of the workout itself, I've only previewed, but I'm not sure how I'm going to feel about it. It's prop-heavy, which isn't a surprise, but I'm not sure I'm going to enjoy the venture into multiple props (working with a dumbbell or ball and the "balance stick" at the same time, for example) or trying to do wide-stance one-legged squats with a barbell across my shoulders. It may prove to be a wonderful workout, but right now my opinion is clouded by the production quality. Maybe if I put it aside for a few days and then just pick it up and shove it in the VCR (after lining up the requisite props, of course), I'll discover that I like it well enough to get beyond the appearance. Oh, and I don't like the music much either--some chanty vocals in several places that I found distracting in a preview, but again, the distraction may go away once I'm doing the workout. We'll see.

Not at all what I had expected.

You can’t use up creativity. The more you use, the more you have. — Maya Angelou
Messe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-02, 09:40 PM  
Jane C
VF Supporter

I did Firm Body Sculpt last night

I used heavy weights - I thought it was tough, and I'm totally feeling my lifted fanny today, thats for sure. I was impressed. I liked the set. I was fine with the music and production quality.

And I like the lifter. And (here's more than you need to know), my inner child, who is just running wild with this firm kit - wants to say FANNY LIFTER over and over again.:rolleyes:

man, they're going to kick me out of the Fit Over Forty check in!

Re: FitPrimes. I don't mind the idea of doing one whole side and then the other - at least not in theory. But I'm not pleased about Joan's report on the production quality. Especially not at $50 for two tapes! We'll see.

Come, come, whoever you are.
Wanderer, idolator, worshipper of fire,
come even though you have broken your vows a thousand times,
Come, and come yet again.
Ours is not a caravan of despair.

Rumi
Jane C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-02, 09:46 PM  
vron30075
VF Supporter

Fitprimes streamers are up and running

and I can tell just from the streamer that the quality is lacking. It is 4.5 minutes long, and so you can see a good deal of the video. Oh well,,, it's Tracy.
Rhonda
vron30075 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-02, 01:01 AM  
Lisa :o)
VF Supporter

I'm kind of shocked..........

Wow.....I just saw the streaming video too at FitPrime. I'm a little shocked because Tracie's video just seems different than I expected it to be. I really will be looking forward to all your comments after you've tried the workout. I know that looks can sometimes be deceiving but I think I was blindsided by the "busy-ness" of the set and possible quality issues. That floor still has me spinning............

Lisa
Lisa :o) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-02, 01:57 AM  
Shelby
VF Supporter

Unhappy The streamer wouldn't play

for me. Was it RealPlayer or something? I got a message saying it was an invalid format for Windows Media.
Shelby is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
anna benson, fitprime, mark henriksen, weights first fitprime