Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 08-29-03, 03:17 AM  
fitofrage

The Firm was sold outright--not a temporary deal. This includes the studio as well as the video rights.
fitofrage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-03, 10:25 AM  
metalbarbie

Yeah they sold all of it. Even the gym in South Carolina.

But Anna still has the rights to the old Firm tapes. I think this is why Goodtimes is not releasing the old Firm tapes on DVD. But I could be wrong....
metalbarbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-03, 10:49 AM  
Helen S
VF Supporter

I think Medical Mark wrote in MUM that GoodTimes doesn't want to release the older Firms anymore since they don't feature the new FannyLifter. He also wrote that they sold to GT to help pay for legal costs. And they were being sued right and left. I know one of them was for the sets. So they can't use the Classic sets anymore. That's why they tried a different background for StrongBody (Strength) and StrongHeart (Cardio). But then whoever was suing still said that it still looked like the old Classic set.

I hope I'm remembering all of this correctly. There are threads from MM in MUM describing all of this. But you have to wade through lots of stuff because the threads tend to get long and they talk about lots of different things. You can also read interesting background info on the filming of the old Firms.

Helen
Helen S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-03, 02:45 PM  
mojolisa

20 Questions for Medical Mark

Go to www.mindundermuscle.com. You will have to register to view this website. Look in the folder "Fitness Temple".

Look for the thread titled "20 Questions for Medical Mark". It usually floats near the top. Warning, it is very, very long.

This should answer many of your questions about FIRM being sold to GoodTimes, the individuals responsible for all the lawsuiits, as well as what happened to the old mansion set (it's in a landfill).

Mark did say he and Anna still get royalties from old FIRM (both Classics and BMG, I think). It has been implied that GT doesn't want to release many of those VHS/DVD because GT only likes workouts that use the FL, not the 14" wooden step box. I don't know if this is true, but it does seem odd that GT is unwilling to market the DVDs of many of their 'old' workouts. I know there are a lot of people who would buy these workouts: Cardio Step Mix and the Core Cardios immediately come to mind.
mojolisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-03, 05:43 PM  
lfcjasp
Exchange Moderator

Thanks to mel VF on the FitPrime preview info...I'll check that out, Mel VF.
And thank you to mojolisa on the mum site link. Joanna warned us that it's a very long thread (thanks for the warning!)....Joanna, you didn't mention the melodrama!!! Makes for interesting reading.
Old 08-29-03, 10:59 PM  
Beth

mourning the old Firm

I have nothing against the newer Firms, but I must take a moment to mourn the loss of the old Firms.

Among the many things I am sad to see an end of:
-The tuba fart song (it always makes me think of tooting--and not just a horn)
-the end flashes like the wierd cartwheel thingie Sandahl does at the end of Vol. 3 or the jazz hands Kai does in Vol. 4
-the music matching perfectly to the worlkout
-the mansion set
-the workout cast (not just the leads)
-the overall drama of it all

I was fascinated by the Classic Firms and still am--maybe because it's so theatrical. I know my list seems sarcastic, but it's really not. I genuinely loved all that stuff--even if it was for a laugh. It feels like the end of an era for all of that to be gone.

Beth
Beth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-03, 08:46 AM  
Kathryn
VF Supporter

Re: mourning the old Firm

Quote:
Originally posted by Beth
I know my list seems sarcastic, but it's really not. I genuinely loved all that stuff--even if it was for a laugh. It feels like the end of an era for all of that to be gone.

Beth
I think we should all bring our own "ta da!" move to the end of our Firm workouts!

2010 season speed-walking 5K PR: 35:47
2011 season race-walking 5K PR: 34:42
Kathryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-03, 10:14 AM  
Messe

Re: mourning the old Firm

Quote:
Originally posted by Beth

I was fascinated by the Classic Firms and still am--maybe because it's so theatrical. I know my list seems sarcastic, but it's really not. I genuinely loved all that stuff--even if it was for a laugh. It feels like the end of an era for all of that to be gone.

Beth
Do you think the old Firm could survive in today's market? Even without all the lawsuits, marital discord, etc., I'm inclined to think not, because I suspect the production costs would be so high that the net revenue would be quite low. And I'm fairly certain that the sales numbers would be much, much lower than they are for the new Firms, because I've noticed that a lot of new Firmies appear to be turned off by the look and feel of the old Firms.

You're right--it's the end of an era, but maybe it was time for it to end. Times change, people's tastes change, and things we once thought were wonderful sometimes become things that make us wonder why we thought they were wonderful. Fan or not, though, there's no denying that the old Firm was a huge force in the birth and evolution of the home video fitness industry, and even the end of an era can't change that.

You can’t use up creativity. The more you use, the more you have. — Maya Angelou
Messe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-03, 01:16 PM  
bethlee

the mansion

i kept expecting Spike or Angel to suddenly materialize, long black leather coats flared out, and bury their incisors in some participant's neck.
bethlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-03, 02:26 PM  
carole r.

I love the old workouts too. They made me think of the Stepford wives, though.

Tags
firm history, mark henriksen