Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-19-21, 07:03 PM  
tytbody
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bee View Post
I don't think Sherry is alone in that! I feel like you're being a bit harsh on her. It is hard to find the days to fit in everything if a person likes a wide variety of activities or wants to make sure s/he has a certain number of days of X and Y, etc. I know when I saw her question posed in the first post on this thread I thought "oh great! I need some wisdom in that area, too!" It's just hard to fit it all in.
No one can do it ask. It all is not suppose to be done by every one every day.

From what I’ve learned if you concentrate on one form you build in your rest days
If you strength train you always rest your muscles the next day
If you do yoga as your mainstay then you fill in with mobility stretching
If mobility is your mainstay you fill in with yoga

The muscles should be well rounded in whatever you practice. And there are enough forms of yoga to fit one into your practice.
If you do Pilates you fit in yoga.

Sorry I’m not getting why this is 😞 difficult

Pick a day, a form and do it 🤷🏽*♀️

~~~Cheryl

Completed a 10 day Pilates Challenge 2019
Completed Pilates 7 day Challenge 2019

Live Life Simply -Simply Love Life
tytbody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-21, 07:05 PM  
Pam61
VF Supporter

There are so many benefits to doing yoga daily, but it's a matter of....

Adding shorter practices to a shorter strength or cardio day.
Adding a couple longer sessions during the week on active rest days.
Adding AM or PM practices routinely when you awake or upon bedtime.

Or, just shooting for five/six days out of the week and being okay with that.

I don't think any of us do everything we plan all the time. But, having a plan helps, and when life gets in the way we just move on. No guilt.

April Focus:
Linda Stejskal Wooldridge (Barlates)
Dean Pohlman (Man Flow Yoga) April 8th Everyday Yoga Four Week Challenge
Jessica Smith Cardio Walks/Pilates Fusion
Lee Holden Qi Gong 30 Day Challenge
Pam61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-21, 07:09 PM  
tytbody
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pam61 View Post

I don't think any of us do everything we plan all the time. But, having a plan helps, and when life gets in the way we just move on. No guilt.
That’s all I was trying to say. Amen. 👍🏾

~~~Cheryl

Completed a 10 day Pilates Challenge 2019
Completed Pilates 7 day Challenge 2019

Live Life Simply -Simply Love Life
tytbody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-21, 08:52 PM  
Vantreesta

Quote:
Originally Posted by tytbody View Post
No one can do it ask. It all is not suppose to be done by every one every day.

From what I’ve learned if you concentrate on one form you build in your rest days
If you strength train you always rest your muscles the next day
If you do yoga as your mainstay then you fill in with mobility stretching
If mobility is your mainstay you fill in with yoga

The muscles should be well rounded in whatever you practice. And there are enough forms of yoga to fit one into your practice.
If you do Pilates you fit in yoga.

Sorry I’m not getting why this is 😞 difficult

Pick a day, a form and do it 🤷🏽*♀️
If you don't have suggestions that actually address Sherry's question about how other exercisers fit it in, why are you even commenting and giving her grief? Scheduling a well-rounded, balanced and varied workout routine when you enjoy many different types of exercise is not as simple as just pick and do it. Many of us here struggle with this on a regular basis.
You don't have to be fast, just keep moving forward.
Note to self: You don't get to complain about things you won't work to change!

Word for 2024: Accomplished; Word for 2023: Grounded; Word for 2022: Consistency; Word for 2021: Mindfulness
Vantreesta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-21, 09:00 PM  
bee
VF Supporter

Quote:
There are so many benefits to doing yoga daily, but it's a matter of....

Adding shorter practices to a shorter strength or cardio day.
Adding a couple longer sessions during the week on active rest days.
Adding AM or PM practices routinely when you awake or upon bedtime.

Or, just shooting for five/six days out of the week and being okay with that.

Good answer, Pam. Thanks!
Old 08-20-21, 05:19 AM  
Izzy

I think it comes down to what I “want to do” vs “what I can do”. I think Cheryl is saying do your best and don’t stress about it. Maybe I am wrong.

We all have different lives and things get in the way. Each month my goal is some yoga every day. But I work two jobs, volunteer, garden not to mention other chores and I can’t get it in every day. Every month it’s in my plan and I do my best. I want to, but I can’t always make it happen.

Sherry, my only suggestion is find a yoga or instructor that you like and then find some of their shorter practices. I personally think no matter what if you don’t enjoy it, you won’t do it. I have found what I like and it has taken the pressure off of what I should or should not do. Should is a powerful word and it can put a lot of stress on us if we demand too much of ourselves.
Old 08-20-21, 05:53 AM  
sherry7899

Quote:
Originally Posted by Izzy View Post
I think it comes down to what I “want to do” vs “what I can do”. I think Cheryl is saying do your best and don’t stress about it. Maybe I am wrong.

We all have different lives and things get in the way. Each month my goal is some yoga every day. But I work two jobs, volunteer, garden not to mention other chores and I can’t get it in every day. Every month it’s in my plan and I do my best. I want to, but I can’t always make it happen.

Sherry, my only suggestion is find a yoga or instructor that you like and then find some of their shorter practices. I personally think no matter what if you don’t enjoy it, you won’t do it. I have found what I like and it has taken the pressure off of what I should or should not do. Should is a powerful word and it can put a lot of stress on us if we demand too much of ourselves.
Thank you! I have TOO many instructors I like and want to do so many of their practices. I am actually ignoring my yoga dvds and hopping between you tube channels from Yoga Upload, Sarabeth Yoga, Yoga with Bird,Yoga Ranger, etc.

Thanks for the responses.

The cat in my avatar is my sweetheart named Bonkers
sherry7899 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-21, 07:19 AM  
Pam61
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sherry7899 View Post
I have TOO many instructors I like and want to do so many of their practices.
Sherry,

I'm the same way, and it's not just yoga instructors. We have so many choices nowadays.

What usually helps me is to concentrate on one specific instructor for a week, and then switch it up the next week. I've done one instructor per month but that's difficult when there is so much variety. And, sometimes we get bored with the same person, too!

I feel bad when I haven't done some of my favorite instructors for a while, too! But, trying someone new makes workouts more interesting or fun, too!

April Focus:
Linda Stejskal Wooldridge (Barlates)
Dean Pohlman (Man Flow Yoga) April 8th Everyday Yoga Four Week Challenge
Jessica Smith Cardio Walks/Pilates Fusion
Lee Holden Qi Gong 30 Day Challenge
Pam61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-21, 08:22 AM  
fanofladyvols

Quote:
Sherry,

I'm the same way, and it's not just yoga instructors. We have so many choices nowadays.

What usually helps me is to concentrate on one specific instructor for a week, and then switch it up the next week. I've done one instructor per month but that's difficult when there is so much variety. And, sometimes we get bored with the same person, too!

I feel bad when I haven't done some of my favorite instructors for a while, too! But, trying someone new makes workouts more interesting or fun, too!
You're so right, Pam61!

I also have that dilemma that Sherry mentioned. I do notice many times when I find something new I either find a new favorite OR really appreciate my old instructors that much more!

I am currently trying several times a week of something in the CS, yoga or pilates realm. I don't always get there but can always tell by how great I feel when I have.

Sherry, I hope you find a way to make it work for you that is manageable and helps you meet your goals

Never give up on your body!-- Miranda Esmonde-White

Word/Guiding Principle for 2024: Embrace: embrace my faith, my family, my friends, myself, the process, the progress, the hard work, the strength program I choose, the recovery methods and rest I need, my life, the good times, and the memories of good people.
fanofladyvols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-21, 09:05 AM  
donnamp

I hear what you're saying, Sherry -

I think a rotation like this may be helpful:

Day 1 - Strength & stretchy yoga
Day 2 - Cardio & stretchy yoga
Day 3 - Just yoga - whatever style, format, etc. you want to do
then repeat Day 1, 2, and 3
Day 7 - Wild card day -

With this plan you would get Cardio in 2X per week, Strength 2X per week, Yoga 2X per week and you'd have a free day to do anything else you want - or nothing at all!

I know I struggle to fit it all into a balanced program as well.

Donna
donnamp is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
yoga