Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 03-09-20, 10:45 AM  
Ann1964

Workout only - No Diet to drop Weight

I have 15 pounds to drop. Have you had success without dieting ? I know its the food & you need to cut back. I do not want to do anything restrictive, but willing to make small changes and up my exercise.

Tell me your experiences.
You can PM me or email if you want. I know we can't discuss DIET.

Honestly just want to feel in shape again & halfway look the part.
Ann1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-20, 11:33 AM  
Vintage VFer
VF Supporter

My opinion is that one's age makes a difference. In my younger years, it was easier to lose weight just by watching what I ate. Around peri-menopuse that all changed.

Find your perfect balance of a sensible food lifestyle (not diet) and exercise. This, too, will change with the decades.

POSTURE CHECK!
Vintage VFer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-20, 11:41 AM  
Ann1964

Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vintage VFer View Post
My opinion is that one's age makes a difference. In my younger years, it was easier to lose weight just by watching what I ate. Around peri-menopuse that all changed.

Find your perfect balance of a sensible food lifestyle (not diet) and exercise. This, too, will change with the decades.
Ann1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-20, 01:10 PM  
alisoncooks

And I'll flip what Alta said. When I was younger, I could (and did) out-exercise poor eating. I started The Bar Method and lost 20 pounds without changing my diet (and pretty quickly, too).

These days...nope.
alisoncooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-20, 01:16 PM  
cataddict
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vintage VFer View Post

It has been more difficult to lose weight as I age, but for me it has never been easy. I was a heavy child and although I lost weight and haven't been overweight in years, those fat cells don't disappear, they just shrink.

ITA with the second paragraph. Changes in lifestyle and everyday living/eating is the only way to lose and maintain, IMHO. I have been consistent with exercise over the years, but not so much with my diet. The only way to maintain my goal weight (give or take a couple pounds) is not to let my snacking go overboard. I don't believe in deprivation to such an extent that I will end up starving. Hungry is not the way I want to live my life. So maybe I eat two cookies instead of three as a treat. Small adjustments work for me.
cataddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-20, 02:09 PM  
Taiga

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann1964 View Post
I have 15 pounds to drop. Have you had success without dieting ? I know its the food & you need to cut back. I do not want to do anything restrictive, but willing to make small changes and up my exercise.

Tell me your experiences.
You can PM me or email if you want. I know we can't discuss DIET.

Honestly just want to feel in shape again & halfway look the part.
You could probably do it but it might take you a year. Typically, dropping the worst dietary offenders and increasing exercise (walking an extra 45 min every night etc) will move the scale eventually. I usually don't have the patience for that and focused dietary change gets the job done more quickly for me.

You might also consider researching intermittent fasting. This addresses the timing of eating more than specific dietary foods or calorie intake, though it can be combined with diet plans. It is an excellent way to curb post workout soreness. It's been mentioned in several threads here and you can find a bunch of info (try Jason Fung on Youtube) on line. Some of these techniques have broader appeal because you really can get some benefit by changing the timing of your eating without changing your diet at all-----reducing post workout soreness, increasing immune function, weight loss etc.
Old 03-09-20, 04:11 PM  
Hsim

What I've been reading (mostly from myLivestrong feed) is that if you can either cut 500 calories from your diet, burn 500 additional calories from additional activity or some combination of the 2 totalling about 500 calories daily you should lose 1 pound per week (500 X 7 = 3500 calories weekly). This seems pretty logical to me. And it seems that you can play around with these numbers a little if you want to lose more slowly.
Hsim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-20, 04:29 PM  
bzar
Exchange Moderator

assuming your current eating stays constant, weight training could be the ticket, particularly circuit training.

Joyce Vedral's books show before/after shots of women who weight-trained, and were over 30 YO and lost weight.

i've also read threads of VFers who did steady-state cardio and lost weight, but your sessions may be longer, like maybe 75 minutes/day.

Miyagi: Wax on, right hand. Wax off, left hand. Wax on, wax off. Breathe in through nose, out the mouth. Wax on, wax off. Don't forget to breathe, very important.
[walks away, still making circular motions with hands] ~ Pat Morita, The Karate Kid, 1984

disclosure: in the years 2002-2004 i had a professional relationship with a distributor of fitness videos; see profile.
bzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-20, 06:10 PM  
Softshoe
VF Supporter

What is steady-state cardio?
Old 03-09-20, 10:04 PM  
fanofladyvols

Quote:
Originally Posted by Softshoe View Post
What is steady-state cardio?
Walking, biking, even step cardio or dance where you don't vary your energy output. Your pace is a consistent speed or your energy output is at a similar pace throughout the workout.

You might still warmup and cool down but during the main part of the workout you are exercising at the same level.

Never give up on your body!-- Miranda Esmonde-White

Word/Guiding Principle for 2024: Embrace: embrace my faith, my family, my friends, myself, the process, the progress, the hard work, the strength program I choose, the recovery methods and rest I need, my life, the good times, and the memories of good people.
fanofladyvols is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
abb, aerobic base building, diet vs exercise, steady state cardio, weight loss, weights only