Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-06-17, 10:26 AM  
violingal3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scorpio6 View Post
My husband had this problem, got acupuncture tested, was told it was his liver, started taking a Standard Process supplement called Liverall and that fixed it. On the other hand, thyroid sufferers have been told to keep orange juice with a little salt in it by their bedside and when they wake up, to sip on that to go back to sleep. Hope it helps.
I used to get acupuncture and had the best sleep ever. I can't remember what Standard Process supplement I was taking, but my dr also was working on my liver with the acupuncture.

I have been having major issues being wide awake at 2 am so I'll have to try this sleepy dust!
violingal3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-17, 10:29 AM  
Crescent Moon
VF Supporter

I turn the heat down so my bed is comforting and keep a floor fan running. An ambient noise machine might be worth checking out. Blue light from electronic devices can be disruptive to sleep as well.
Crescent Moon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-17, 10:58 AM  
PhyllisG

I have the same problem...waking in the very early morning. Usually around 3 or 4. I am so happy if I wake t 5! Wide awake and of course anxious about a whole bunch of stuff which doesn't seem so bad once I am up. I used to count backwards by three from three hundred. That can work. I am definitely trying Sleepy Dust. Could just be a placebo but that's fine. Many years ago I was under a great deal of stress and anxiety and one night just could not sleep. I took half of an anti anxiety prescription medication. Fell asleep. When I checked int the morning I found I had taken talk an aspirin. So much for the power of suggestion.
PhyllisG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-17, 01:53 PM  
bee
VF Supporter

I tried the salt+sugar trick in the wee hours of the morning and I wouldn't say I fell back asleep "immediately", but I did fall back asleep -- sometimes I never do fall back asleep, so that was an improvement.

Instead of counting with numbers, I sometimes "count" with letters and go through a sequence like this: AAA - AAB - ABB - BBB - BBC - BCC - CCC - CCD - CDD - DDD, etc. I don't know why but sometimes that works better than counting backwards or forwards.

I've heard that people should not rely on a melatonin supplement because then your body will start to make less of it and then your problem just gets worse.
bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-17, 06:49 PM  
DCW

High stress and then developing the habit of not sleeping thru the night is my horror story.

I remember NEVER waking up in the middle of the 🌃 night. I couldn't comprehend that people would wake up to use the bathroom must less not be able to sleep.

Now years later, I daily rate my sleep. A is for sleeping thru the night. Not too many A's folks.

What has helped is watching TV shows that make me laugh so I go to bed in a good mood. No drama, no news, no blood and gore. I also use my surface on YouTube to listen to low key TV shows like America test kitchen. It is enough to stop the endless to do list and worrying that I haven't learned how to stop in my head at 2 am.

Thanks for all the advice.
DCW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-17, 07:27 PM  
BunnyHop

I remember one night some years ago that I managed to fall asleep the moment my head hit the pillow. Didn't wake up til about eight hours later. So blissful! I mostly remember being astonished that I did it, and wondering how on earth to make it happen again. I do think that I was more physically active then, which is the main reason I've been so stubborn about trying to get stronger and build my endurance. Some part of my brain is convinced that if I can increase my fitness level that it will help me get more comfortable rest at night.

Lately I've been doing reasonably well, with good sleep hygiene habits, Ambien CR and a white noise generator. As others have said, being careful about my entertainments is helpful too. (No more Walking Dead and such stuff for me. Too intense.)

Apparently one of the issues I have is that the town I live in is quite noisy at night (the sound of trains carries a long, loud way).
Old 12-06-17, 08:18 PM  
KBear

A lot of good info already. I suffer from insomnia, too. for me both falling asleep and stay asleep.

I have heard many people actually are low in magnesium.

Some say Bach Flower sleep spray works.

Do you grind your tooth? If so, try something to prevent it.

I listen to guided meditation or low key audio books when I can't sleep. Just needs a boring book with sleep inducing voice (even though I never know what the book is about!).
KBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-17, 08:57 PM  
juliel
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sara1000 View Post
I take a calcium/magnesium tablet and a D3 tablet when I wake up to go to the bathroom. It takes about 30 minutes but I almost invariable will go back to sleep for the rest of the night.
I just started taking a magnesium supplement. I think it is helping.

"One cat just leads to another." - Ernest Hemingway
juliel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-17, 10:24 PM  
Malinda

The Sleep with Me podcast puts me out every time.

www.sleepwithmepodcast.com
Old 12-07-17, 01:50 AM  
videofit

I used to wake up at the same time too early in the morning. I found out later it was a neighbor leaving very early for the gym. I had no conscious memory of actually hearing a noise but obviously it woke me up. Thankfully his hours changed.

Tags
insomnia, sleep mask