Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-05-17, 05:48 PM  
ealakey
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by momofcha View Post
Sounds strange but I make a concoction of equal parts sugar and salt and keep it in a container on my nightstand. When I wake up and can't fall back asleep I take a pinch and put it under my tongue. It's worked for me so far....
Wow, I will have to try this.

Thanks!
~Beth
ealakey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-17, 05:51 PM  
sherry7899

Sue, do you use just regular sugar and salt? I would hate to waste mine on the specific types in the article if it does not work. Thank you!

The cat in my avatar is my sweetheart named Bonkers
sherry7899 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-17, 06:07 PM  
Scorpio6

My husband had this problem, got acupuncture tested, was told it was his liver, started taking a Standard Process supplement called Liverall and that fixed it. On the other hand, thyroid sufferers have been told to keep orange juice with a little salt in it by their bedside and when they wake up, to sip on that to go back to sleep. Hope it helps.
Scorpio6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-17, 06:30 PM  
sherry7899

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scorpio6 View Post
My husband had this problem, got acupuncture tested, was told it was his liver, started taking a Standard Process supplement called Liverall and that fixed it. On the other hand, thyroid sufferers have been told to keep orange juice with a little salt in it by their bedside and when they wake up, to sip on that to go back to sleep. Hope it helps.
I am glad your husband is sleeping better. I will pick up some orange juice and give it a try. Where did you learn about what thyroid patients should use? Thank you.

The cat in my avatar is my sweetheart named Bonkers
sherry7899 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-17, 06:38 PM  
Usia
VF Supporter

Lemon balm (Melissa leaves) tea. I always make a cup in the evening and have some before I go to sleep. If I wake up in the middle of the night, I have whatever is left in a cup and it puts me right back to sleep without fail.
Old 12-05-17, 06:58 PM  
Scorpio6

sherry7899: Forefront Health. www.forefronthealth.com
I myself have Hashimoto's low thyroid, this guy really knows his stuff.
Scorpio6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-17, 07:08 PM  
LynnO
VF Supporter

I use an app called Prana which has breathing exercises on it- I do the calm section. Since my issues is also too many problems with my daytime life, my success with just the breathing exercises can be limited. Sometimes a guided meditation would work too.

Someone here mentioned another technique a while back where they think of all the things starting with a certain letter (?). Anyway it was a distraction technique which helped.

If you absolutely need to go back to sleep because you have obligations the next day- a shot of whisky (or whiskey) assuming you don't actually have to get up for a few hours. Yea yea, lots of reasons this is a bad idea, but on occasion it works.

Sometime reading works because it slows my mind back down.

When I worked part time and could set my own hours sometimes I'd go back to sleep at 5 or 6 am and sleep for a couple more hours after being awake for a few hours.
LynnO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-17, 07:38 PM  
FirmDancer
VF Supporter

I think we talked about this here on VF a few years ago. Apparently, it's "normal", as in before electricity was invented, people would go to sleep when it got dark, and then wake for a few hours in the middle of the night. Some would actually be pretty active as in going out and visiting people. Then sleep for a few more hours. Google "second sleep" and you'll find lots of info.
I went through it for several years. I keep a book / magazine near my bed - something fun to read. I'd stay awake for exactly 1.5 hours then have a wonderful, deep 2nd sleep. It was lovely on nights when I didn't have an alarm going off at 5am.
-Anita
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!” -- Hunter S. Thompson

Current Rotations:
JSmith: STRENGTHEN
ManFlowYoga: morning sessions & Strength Foundations
YogaGlo & MFML: easy, morning classes
FirmDancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-17, 07:41 PM  
adrien_73

I was suffering from this many years ago. I was probably in my mid to late 30's. I would fall asleep very quickly for 1-3 hours and awake, unable to go back to sleep. My doctor prescribed Ambien for a while. It did help, but after some time passed she said she could no longer issue refills for me. The insomnia kicked right back in.

My doctor suggested working out in the AM rather than the PM, since adrenaline levels can stay elevated for a long time after exercise subsides. (I didn't think it would help since I worked out at night for so many years before the insomnia started.) I was reluctant to try because my schedule was such that I would have to wake up at 3-4 AM! Well...low and behold...I sleep like a baby now. I get up at 3:30, but when I go to bed at 8:00 I sleep through the night now. I might wake up one or twice but it's very briefly. It has been working for about 10 years now.

I know how hard it is to go for weeks at a time with no sleep. It's awful. There are so many factors that can affect our sleep patterns, but I thought I would share in case it is helpful.

ETA: I also don't do any other activities in bed except for sleep. (No TV in my room, no reading, no listening to music, etc.) The doc said it helps to get your body to associate being in bed exclusively with the act of sleeping.
adrien_73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-17, 07:50 PM  
lorajc

Sherry - I've had trouble sleeping since my late 20's early 30's up until current. I suffer from migraines and then the problem was worse with hormonal issues, peri-menopause and now I am menopausal. I can't fall asleep and then when I do fall asleep, I keep waking every hour.

When I was younger and I worked, I'd be up sometimes 3 nights in a row...bouncing off the walls....and no, I didn't even drink a drop of coffee (or any caffeine). I don't know how I went to work. Now, when I can't sleep, I HATE it! I could never go to work at my age!

Although, I take many supplements, Valerian Root, Melatonin, etc....nothing really works.

I did do transcription for an office once that did Sleep Studies for people with sleep issues and the Doctor's used to say to have good sleep hygiene. Practice getting up at the same time every day...go to bed same time....something I have a hard time doing. It keeps your Circadian Rhythms in sync.

Also, in the very beginning when you are first starting out....I remember the one Doctor recommending sleep deprivation to get to sleep. I know....I always thought that was crazy....that is basically my entire life...sleep deprivation. On a good night, I get 6 hours of sleep...if I get 7 hours or more, I'd not be able to sleep at all for a night or so now. (Also what the person above said about only using your bed for sleep was recommended by the Clinic where I work....keep your room dark, noise free, or use white noise, etc.) Earlier in my life I averaged about 3-4 hours of sleep when I worked. I had lost jobs for getting sleepy at work because of my sleep issues.....so I look forward to getting some knowledge from this thread....for natural solutions..........thanks!!
lorajc is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
insomnia, sleep mask