Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 11-20-17, 01:21 PM  
Garrie A.

This is fun!

1. If you could get rid of any Thanksgiving staple food, what would it be?
Potato Salad

2. What is something you love to do around Thanksgiving? Or, who is someone you love to see around Thanksgiving?
I love to see my aunt and uncle, since I don't see them any other times (except Thanksgiving and Christmas).

3. What are your plans for the upcoming holiday(s)?
Eat, spend time with my family, and check out the upcoming sales!

4. What fitness gift are you tempted/planning to buy yourself - especially given Black Friday and Cyber Monday? (Gotta keep this on topic )
Good question. I'm thinking about the new Callanetics DVD, and maybe one or two KCM workouts. I was originally tempted to pre-order her newest, but will wait on reviews!

5. What memory do you have of hanging out on VF over the holiday season (gift exchange, New Year's exercise-a-thon, holiday workouts, something totally random, etc.)
Last year I became approved to start posting, and participated in the Gift Exchange for the first time. It was so much fun! I also do Firm Volume 1 every January 1st for two reasons: 1) It's to see how far I've come since the last year, and 2) It's Susan Harris' birthday! (I do V1 at other times throughout the year too, but always every January 1st!)

6. What is one thing you want to do differently next year?
Hmmmm....continue to be consistent in my varied exercise routine. I also want to become licensed to teach Strong by Zumba, and get my ACE or AFAA Group Fitness certification since becoming licensed to teach Zumba (Basic Steps, Level 1 aka B1) in August of this year.
--------------------------------------------------------
CLX 6/19-9/19
STS Grad 11/19-2/20, 9/20-12/20

Current Focus:
Retro Rotation!!

Check out my blog by clicking on the "Home Page" link under my profile name.
Garrie A. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-17, 02:17 PM  
donnamp

great thread!

Well, since we have become the Thanksgiving Hosts, there is nothing I would get rid of since I get to choose the menu. If I did have to pick something out of the 'traditional' menu I would say - green bean casserole and sweet potatoes w/ marshmallows - anything too heavy/sweet, etc.

2. What is something you love to do around Thanksgiving? Or, who is someone you love to see around Thanksgiving?

We always decorate our tree and house the day after Thanksgiving and kick off our holiday movie watching with Planes, Trains and Automobiles. Also, since the new Star Wars movies come out around the holidays we try to see them, as well.

We'll be the host for both Thanksgiving and Christmas. We also have plans to go see a holiday themed show.

4. What fitness gift are you tempted/planning to buy yourself - especially given Black Friday and Cyber Monday? (Gotta keep this on topic )

I already got Jessica's Walk Strong 3.0 which I told DH was his gift to me. If Classical Stretch has a good sale I may be tempted to get something there as well.

5. What memory do you have of hanging out on VF over the holiday season (gift exchange, New Year's exercise-a-thon, holiday workouts, something totally random, etc.)

For a few years I did a YBB rotation in the weeks between Thanksgiving and New Year's and it was a really fun way to stay consistent. I also like exercising in front of the Christmas Tree w/ the lights on.

Hmm - this is a tough one......at age 50 I want to gear up my career and get some new experience and possibly a promotion - I didn't take time off from work to raise my DD, but I didn't actively seek any new opportunities either since I had my hands full, LOL! I also want to do a better job at keeping in touch w/ far away friends...particularly my college roommate. We always pick up where we left off no matter how long between phone calls (we live in different states) but I want to reduce the time between calls and maybe find a way to see each other in person more often, too. I also want to try to not sweat the small stuff - which I am guilty of doing more often than not. Workout wise, I don't really have any definitive plans other than to stay consistent and avoid injury.
donnamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-17, 03:02 PM  
bzar
Exchange Moderator

1. potato salad.
2. my mom
3. mom's house for dinner!
4. yoga wheel, new rebounder, walking sticks
5. favorite memory was during the late 90s between Christmas and New Year's, Walmart had a bonanza of "The Firm" VHS videos (DVDs were in its infancy) in a special display box. Everyone on VF and Yaya's went crazy completing their Firm collection. They were priced at around $5/ea.
6. resume logging my workouts. I used to do that religiously before, but I've stopped over the years.

Miyagi: Wax on, right hand. Wax off, left hand. Wax on, wax off. Breathe in through nose, out the mouth. Wax on, wax off. Don't forget to breathe, very important.
[walks away, still making circular motions with hands] ~ Pat Morita, The Karate Kid, 1984

disclosure: in the years 2002-2004 i had a professional relationship with a distributor of fitness videos; see profile.
bzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-17, 08:01 PM  
fanofladyvols

Thanks for starting this, Laura! It's been fun to read and answer.
Green bean casserole...but only because of a traumatic stomach virus episode that occurred during Thanksgiving. I've been scarred for life.
Seeing everyone sitting around that big table full of anticipation
Preparing for all those people..yay!!

Either a high step, or a new bodybar...and some more dvds, of course!!

Sweet messages from fellow VFers. I can't wait to rejoin the New Year's exercise marathon!!

Recordkeeping!! Specifically: Keeping an inventory of my workouts, tracking my progress by making notes on the workout about when and what I did. Hopefully, this will also lead to purging the ones I don't love.

Never give up on your body!-- Miranda Esmonde-White

Word/Guiding Principle for 2024: Embrace: embrace my faith, my family, my friends, myself, the process, the progress, the hard work, the strength program I choose, the recovery methods and rest I need, my life, the good times, and the memories of good people.
fanofladyvols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-17, 08:24 PM  
fanofladyvols

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laura S. View Post
I have no problem with people who don't like it because that leaves more for those of us who do!
Exactly, Laura, no matter what the food is!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by donnamp View Post
I also like exercising in front of the Christmas Tree w/ the lights on..........
YES!! I turn the lights off and it's magical as they twinkle while I work out.
Quote:
Originally Posted by donnamp View Post
I also want to do a better job at keeping in touch w/ far away friends...
I am committed to working on this as well. So wonderful to keep in touch with the beautiful people in the world

Never give up on your body!-- Miranda Esmonde-White

Word/Guiding Principle for 2024: Embrace: embrace my faith, my family, my friends, myself, the process, the progress, the hard work, the strength program I choose, the recovery methods and rest I need, my life, the good times, and the memories of good people.
fanofladyvols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-17, 04:00 PM  
bzar
Exchange Moderator

bumping.

Miyagi: Wax on, right hand. Wax off, left hand. Wax on, wax off. Breathe in through nose, out the mouth. Wax on, wax off. Don't forget to breathe, very important.
[walks away, still making circular motions with hands] ~ Pat Morita, The Karate Kid, 1984

disclosure: in the years 2002-2004 i had a professional relationship with a distributor of fitness videos; see profile.
bzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-17, 05:51 PM  
KateTT
VF Supporter

How fun! I love these!

1. If you could get rid of any Thanksgiving staple food, what would it be? Tough one. I'm not making mashed potatoes this year. I have a great recipe for sweet potatoes that's actually pretty healthy so doing that instead.

2. What is something you love to do around Thanksgiving? Or, who is someone you love to see around Thanksgiving? I always love to spend time with my kids and grandkids, but I love watching the parades on Thanksgiving Day.

3. What are your plans for the upcoming holiday(s)? Actually not doing anything tomorrow. Just me and hubby and some lobster tails! Celebrating with all the kids on Sunday. I'll have TEN in my tiny house!

4. What fitness gift are you tempted/planning to buy yourself - especially given Black Friday and Cyber Monday? (Gotta keep this on topic ) I just bought a pullup assist band, so actually don't have any fitness gifts in mind. Yet.

5. What memory do you have of hanging out on VF over the holiday season (gift exchange, New Year's exercise-a-thon, holiday workouts, something totally random, etc.) I am always so amazed at the generosity of the Secret Santa's in the gift exchange. I love reading about what everyone gets! We're a great bunch here at VF!

6. What is one thing you want to do differently next year? I would LOVE to be done with menopause!!! I don't like when my body doesn't do what I want it to do.

Happy Thanksgiving everyone!

When your body screams, tell it to shut up! Body Pump

"Where I am today is where my mind put me. Where I'll be tomorrow is where my mind put me." - Billy Blanks

I'm a SHOCKING GRADUATE of STS!!!! Feb - May '09!
I did it again! I'm a SHOCKING GRADUATE of STS!!!! Feb - May 2018!
Beachbody On Demand 80 Day Obsession - Full Rotation June - September 2018
Third time's a charm! I'm a SHOCKING GRADUATE of STS!!!! July-Oct 2020!
KateTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-17, 05:53 PM  
KateTT
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dutchgirl View Post

6. What is one thing you want to do differently next year? Savor life and my good fortune a little more.
Sabine, this is wonderful!!!

When your body screams, tell it to shut up! Body Pump

"Where I am today is where my mind put me. Where I'll be tomorrow is where my mind put me." - Billy Blanks

I'm a SHOCKING GRADUATE of STS!!!! Feb - May '09!
I did it again! I'm a SHOCKING GRADUATE of STS!!!! Feb - May 2018!
Beachbody On Demand 80 Day Obsession - Full Rotation June - September 2018
Third time's a charm! I'm a SHOCKING GRADUATE of STS!!!! July-Oct 2020!
KateTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-17, 09:57 AM  
buffmama

1. turkey
2. small family so we usually like being around a larger group
3. lunch at a favorite restaurant with a huge group of people
4. Lauren Brooks dvds I've been coveting for awhile
5. staking Mary's site to see if she posted the sale items yet
6. sit and exhale more (whether it will happen is another story....)
Old 11-25-17, 02:27 PM  
MomOf2Gremlins

1. If you could get rid of any Thanksgiving staple food, what would it be? Turkey! (Which we actually don't have anyway in our vegan/vegetarian household.) Home made mashed potatoes and stuffing with lots and lots of gravy is all I need!

2. What is something you love to do around Thanksgiving? Or, who is someone you love to see around Thanksgiving? Since I'm German, I fully adapted to this holiday through my marriage to my husband of over 17 years and absolutely just spending time with our family of 4. It's also officially opening season to put out Christmas decorations all around the house!
When we're still stationed overseas, it was always a nice holiday we spent with other military families, either on base or someone's house!

3. What are your plans for the upcoming holiday(s)? Spending lots of quality time with my DH & kids!

I was already tempted by Leslie's Miracle Miles set that was on for sale for a super short time for 10$!!! [I already have it, but was seriously debating on getting another one, just because ...]

I just love the generosity and 'comradery' of VFers, not only during the holidays, even though it shines through the most at that time!

Be more at peace with myself and enjoy my workouts without any internal pressure from myself!

Happy Holidays, everyone!!!

"Change what you can. Accept what you can't. Live peacefully with all that's left."

MomOf2Gremlins is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
getting to know you, introductions