Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-26-17, 05:53 PM  
BunnyHop

Quote:
Originally Posted by txhsmom View Post
Invest in a BedJet - it helps compensate for having your A/C set higher - it also heats in the winter.

Carol
Count on VF'ers to enable me even when I'm sleeping! This gadget does sound nice.
Old 07-26-17, 06:08 PM  
Dorothy J
VF Supporter

Here's another source of magnesium that has worked for me: Morton Epsom Lotion. (I get it on Amazon.)

I purchased it to rub onto my sore shoulder muscles, as you can't easily soak sore shoulders in Epsom salts, ya know? It helped soothe my shoulders, but I was pleasantly surprised to find that I slept better too.

Now, I sometimes rub a little bit into my feet if I think I'm going to have trouble sleeping. Downside for me: I'm apparently VERY sensitive to the laxative effect of magnesium, so I have to be careful with the amount I use.

As to temperature: I turn the AC down to 73 at night. But I'm off to check out the Bed Jet...

"You want to go into life feeling great, feeling strong, and as you get older, feeling even stronger!" Gin Miller
Dorothy J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-17, 06:25 PM  
ardnas

Quote:
Originally Posted by txhsmom View Post
Invest in a BedJet
Do you have one? I'd be curious if it makes any noise, is it just a fan under the covers (that's what it looks like), do you have to use the aromatherapy system, and why is it so expensive w/ only a 2yr warranty?

Any type of fan keeps me awake, so I don't think this would work for me due to noise & air movement.

We used to have parrots so our thermostat was always set to 70F for them year round. Since they passed, we actually save $ on a/c because I can let it get warmer during the day and in winter let it get colder.
Old 07-26-17, 07:18 PM  
bzar
Exchange Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardnas View Post
is it just a fan under the covers (that's what it looks like).
I have an old vornado fan with a tall pedestal base. it's right at the same level as our bed and provides enough "breeze" to keep me cool. although we have an A/C, we keep it off to save on electricity.

Miyagi: Wax on, right hand. Wax off, left hand. Wax on, wax off. Breathe in through nose, out the mouth. Wax on, wax off. Don't forget to breathe, very important.
[walks away, still making circular motions with hands] ~ Pat Morita, The Karate Kid, 1984

disclosure: in the years 2002-2004 i had a professional relationship with a distributor of fitness videos; see profile.
bzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-17, 07:26 PM  
ncl

This is interesting. I just don't go to bed early enough. I have a fitbit and if often says I am awake for 1.22 hours in the night but I don't think I am. How accurate do you ladies think these things are? I do best with 8 solid hours, which I rarely get during the week. On the weekends, I will get that much or more but I know I would feel better to get to bed earlier.

I think I get excited about being done with everything and wanting to relax and read VF or surf or whatever. I just want my head to be free for awhile before I have to go to sleep. I am really conscious of this right now. It feels so much better to be well rested.
ncl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-17, 10:45 AM  
bzar
Exchange Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncl View Post
I think I get excited about being done with everything and wanting to relax and read VF or surf or whatever. I just want my head to be free for awhile before I have to go to sleep. I am really conscious of this right now. It feels so much better to be well rested.
i know what you mean. one thing i've noticed is that if something is on my mind, it's better to write it on a pad before sleeping. observing myself, things tend to pop into my head right as i'm about to climb into bed, or as i am laying there. i used to pop out, leave the bedroom, and go do whatever it was. but i have a different procedure now - i have a rule now that once i get into the bedroom, i must sleep. the act of leaving the bedroom was keeping me awake.

i started noticing that these many little "important" tasks were simply delay tactics (of getting to the task at hand, which was to get to bed), and my mind/body would start winding UP again, as if telling myself that it's time to get up and get moving.

Miyagi: Wax on, right hand. Wax off, left hand. Wax on, wax off. Breathe in through nose, out the mouth. Wax on, wax off. Don't forget to breathe, very important.
[walks away, still making circular motions with hands] ~ Pat Morita, The Karate Kid, 1984

disclosure: in the years 2002-2004 i had a professional relationship with a distributor of fitness videos; see profile.
bzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-17, 06:02 PM  
Laura S.
VF Supporter

My DH is one of those "warped time" people. And, he believes we should always go to bed together. He used to wait until I said I was ready to go to bed and then start the things he "had to do" before bed. The more I waited for him, the later it would get every night. So, I set a time that I would head back to bed for weeknights and a later time for weekend nights and I have stuck to that time, heading back for bed with or without him. I've gotten a lot more sleep since instituting that policy.

Laura's Workout Mantras:

Something is better than nothing
The best workout is the one you will DO
Laura S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-17, 09:56 PM  
txhsmom
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardnas View Post
Do you have one? I'd be curious if it makes any noise, is it just a fan under the covers (that's what it looks like), do you have to use the aromatherapy system, and why is it so expensive w/ only a 2yr warranty?

Any type of fan keeps me awake, so I don't think this would work for me due to noise & air movement.

We used to have parrots so our thermostat was always set to 70F for them year round. Since they passed, we actually save $ on a/c because I can let it get warmer during the day and in winter let it get colder.
I do have one and I love it. I think it's very quiet - I often can't even hear it running - it's down at the foot of my bed, underneath the frame. I am a very light sleeper too.

I've had a Sleep Number Dual Temp and I thought it was horribly loud - sent it back and got the BedJet instead. Very pleased with it.

I actually wake up cold sometimes, and I thought that would never happen to this 60 year old woman.

Carol
txhsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-17, 05:45 AM  
Nuggie's Auntie

I definitely agree with those who recommend not pushing past the point of sleepiness. The siren song of time to myself after the kids have gone to bed is strong! But I find if I go to bed right when I feel sleepy (which is around 9.30), I tend to sleep much better. If I stay up and get a second wind... not good!
Nuggie's Auntie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-17, 10:56 AM  
Genevieve M

After having no sleep problems most of my life, I developed severe insomnia last year. It was awful; I got 2 hours of poor sleep each night.

I was way beyond melatonin and benadryl helping me. Even ativan and klonopin, which I used sparingly in the past, did not help.

My dr. prescribed trazadone, which was miserable. Tried ambien, got a few m more hours sleep, but you're not supposed to be on this long-time.

Fast forward a few months and I found a dr. who prescribed mirtazapine and belsoma (a new med)as sleep aids. Works great, except for the weight gain associated with mirtazapine.

I had a neurological consult for another reason. The dr. said that women develop insomnia more than men, but the medical community does not know why this is.

I reminisce about the days when I could fall asleep unaided at 11, and wake up at 7, with no problem. those were the days! At least now, I am able to function. hope this info helps.
Genevieve M is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
blue light glasses, blue light readers, insomnia, sleep, sleep help