Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-25-17, 08:17 PM  
bzar
Exchange Moderator

how have you improved your sleep habits?

I've been getting more sleep the past 2 weeks.

a key habit was divorcing myself from the idea that I had enough time before bed to do lots of things. the inspiration for this came from a book about being on time - "Never Be Late Again" by Diana DeLonzor. one of the chapters describes how late people assume they can finish lots of things before "x" (dinner, leaving for work, going to bed, a meeting).

the only thing I did differently was mentally commit to the process, that after dinner, I would begin telling myself that at 9 PM, I will start getting ready for bed.

Miyagi: Wax on, right hand. Wax off, left hand. Wax on, wax off. Breathe in through nose, out the mouth. Wax on, wax off. Don't forget to breathe, very important.
[walks away, still making circular motions with hands] ~ Pat Morita, The Karate Kid, 1984

disclosure: in the years 2002-2004 i had a professional relationship with a distributor of fitness videos; see profile.
bzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-17, 08:41 PM  
Orlita

I am totally a "lots of things" type of person. I am using Chalene's Smartlife Push journal, and part of my goals is getting to bed before the witching hour, and then not lying there scrolling through social media for another hour.

This blog post totally nails what goes on in my head. Have you read it?
Orlita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-17, 08:52 PM  
upperwside

I take a magnesium/vitamin D/calcium supplement an hour before bed. I also shut off electronics.. read my book for an hour.. put on my sleep mask and I sleep well. I have my last cup of tea at 3pm.. a glass of wine or Champaign (only one or two once in a while) a few times a week with dinner.. if I drink more I do not sleep well. I also have a big lunch and a small dinner. I also like a quick dog stroll before I settle in..
upperwside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-17, 09:00 PM  
bzar
Exchange Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orlita View Post
I am totally a "lots of things" type of person. I am using Chalene's Smartlife Push journal, and part of my goals is getting to bed before the witching hour, and then not lying there scrolling through social media for another hour.

This blog post totally nails what goes on in my head. Have you read it?
ha ha - laughing with you!

I just read your link and DeLonzor covers that in her book (it's a fast read, and I got it from the local library). one of the remedies to this (among several more key remedies) is getting more in tune with your sense of time. regarding the link you shared - part of my own motivation was that I didn't want to be rushing to get to work, to a meeting, etc. I noticed my blood pressure was getting worse with trying to rush.

some late people (me, apparently) have a warped sense of time - i.e., how much can be done in a given period of time. at around 8:30, I start telling myself it's time to take a warm shower and make sure my lunch for tomorrow is ready, etc.

the only electronic device I have in our bedroom is the clock, a small portable DVD player with yoga DVDs, and a CD player with meditation CDs. I haven't used my CD or DVD player in a while since I've learned to do yoga or meditation on my own. all other devices, like my phone, are outside of the bedroom. I've specifically told DH no TVs are allowed in the bedrooms. this has been helpful.

Miyagi: Wax on, right hand. Wax off, left hand. Wax on, wax off. Breathe in through nose, out the mouth. Wax on, wax off. Don't forget to breathe, very important.
[walks away, still making circular motions with hands] ~ Pat Morita, The Karate Kid, 1984

disclosure: in the years 2002-2004 i had a professional relationship with a distributor of fitness videos; see profile.
bzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-17, 09:51 PM  
BunnyHop

So many different factors play into my varying sleep difficulties that it's hard to know what really helps.

At least some of my trouble used to be hormonal, but since my hysterectomy I've been resting much better. I don't wake up with nightmares all the time any more. Was that hormones, or just watching less television (especially intense dramas like The Walking Dead)??

Getting my daily chores done, then making a conscious effort at winding down seems to be part of my recent success.

No caffeine at all, no snacks in the evening, keeping my room cool and comfortable.

I try to have a bedtime routine, but living with/caring for my dad makes that all but impossible to sustain. It does help having HIM on a fairly tight bedtime schedule so that I can at least try to wind down a bit before I actually get in bed. He loathes schedules and routines, but at least now I have the various steps of the process in a sort of pattern.

Lately I've been doing a bit of yoga and/or MELT Method late in the evening. Classical Stretch, too, if it's not too intense.

Getting dressed for bed, and my actual bedtime rituals (brush teeth, wash face, etc.) are a help too.

Avoiding the internet? Doesn't always happen, but at least I don't have a smart phone, so if I want to be online I have to be up, in the computer room (where dad can tell if I'm there).

Being in better physical shape does seem to help somewhat.

Oh, and I'm another one in a hot, humid climate. Even with air conditioning, it's warmer than I'd like, so I keep a ceiling fan going in my room. It does make a difference.

Last edited by BunnyHop; 07-26-17 at 05:03 PM. Reason: One last thought about ceiling fans.
BunnyHop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-17, 09:57 PM  
Jewels5

I had a "wake up call" when I got my Fitbit Alta. I love that it tracks my sleep and it really motivates me to get to bed earlier. Of course sometimes I naturally wake up earlier and can't do anything about that but I love it when my sleep goal has been met and it motivates me to make it a priority. I am one that can't function well on little sleep.

"To the world you may be one person, but to one person you may be the world." -Heather Cortez
Jewels5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-17, 05:41 AM  
Jeanne Marie

I sleep a lot. I have to because of how much working out I do. I go to bed by 9pm and I wake up at 6:30am. I think sleep is a key component in the health equation. 9 hours is my usual, 8 is the minimum I want.

I went through a short time period where I had insomnia (with menopause), but it didn't last long. Now I have a hard time staying awake once my head hits the pillow.
Old 07-26-17, 05:57 AM  
FirmDancer
VF Supporter

A couple of years ago, I thought I'd do an experiment with getting 8 hours sleep. Previously I lived on 5 hours. So one January I committed to being in bed for enough time to sleep 8 hours. It took about three days to get used to it. Then it was like a button was pushed - I slept all night. And now I need it. Now my body shuts down, I practically nod off in conversation, etc. I "have" to allow time to get 8 hours sleep.
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!” -- Hunter S. Thompson

Current Rotations:
JSmith: STRENGTHEN
ManFlowYoga: morning sessions & Strength Foundations
YogaGlo & MFML: easy, morning classes
FirmDancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-17, 06:18 AM  
txhsmom
VF Supporter

Because I have a memory foam mattress that sleeps HOT, I bought a BedJet to blow cool air on me underneath my top sheet. The BedJet is great, and I highly recommend it.

Carol
txhsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-17, 07:37 AM  
bubbles76

For me to get optimal, sleep like a log type of sleep, I have to do the following:
  • Hard, sweaty workout at least 30 minutes before bedtime
  • Chamomile tea
  • Magnesium supplement

Since I don't usually have the time during the week for a long workout before bed, my best sleep is on Friday and Saturday, when I have the time. I sleep okay during the week, but it's usually only 6 -7 hours.
"You humans have the potential to be the most wonderful beings there are - if you can get past all these enormous stupid spots you seem to have in your hearts. It's not your fault. You just don't know how to work your hearts right yet. That's why there are dogs." - Jim Butcher, Zoo Day
bubbles76 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
blue light glasses, blue light readers, insomnia, sleep, sleep help