Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 01-02-17, 08:06 PM  
amomx5
VF Supporter

Thank Lannette, I subscribed and found the alignment and counter streams. I think I'm going to like this. Thanks for starting this thread and giving all the info!
Old 01-02-17, 11:13 PM  
SueT

Thanks, Lannette. The only book I have of Callan's is the original blue book with the famous butt pictures. Do you remember which book it is where she talks about the correct way to walk?

I also want to thank you for telling us about your Callanetics results and taking the time to answer all our questions. I've joined the streaming site to really give this method a chance.

Sue
SueT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-17, 04:19 AM  
Lannette

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D View Post
Wondering whether Sandra meant 2017 when she said next year? I was told the DVD was in editing.
I'd like to think so. It was January 2nd when she posted that but maybe she wasn't in 2017 mode yet. Who told you that the video was in editing? She's always seemed to be pretty straight up about questions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by amomx5 View Post
Thank Lannette, I subscribed and found the alignment and counter streams. I think I'm going to like this. Thanks for starting this thread and giving all the info!
You're welcome. I hope you post at the cafe. The ladies there, including Sandra are quite helpful.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SueT View Post
Thanks, Lannette. The only book I have of Callan's is the original blue book with the famous butt pictures. Do you remember which book it is where she talks about the correct way to walk?

I also want to thank you for telling us about your Callanetics results and taking the time to answer all our questions. I've joined the streaming site to really give this method a chance.

Sue
Hi sue, it's on page 60 of her "Callanetics for your Back" book. It's quite brief. Nothing really new. A couple statements dated. When climbing stairs, she has you stepping onto a step with the ball of your foot, drppong the heel of that foot and placing the ball of the other foot on the next step, etc. Katy Bowman would love the sentiment but I'd be afraid my foot would slip.

Do you really want to look back on your life and see how wonderful it could have been had you not been afraid to live it? - Caroline Myss
Lannette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-17, 11:31 AM  
mandie123

Is there a modification for the thigh rotations,my knees hurt when I try to do them
Old 01-03-17, 04:03 PM  
noraW

I repeated Pure Callanetics with Lacey today and I felt it a bit more. I kept in mind that the pulses need to be tiny and I really engaged. My legs were shaky afterward. I am loving using these in between live Barre workouts. My legs and backside are really shaping up and I don't feel like I'm beating myself up.
noraW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-17, 04:10 PM  
mrs lightyear

Dear Lannette
Thank you for all your help. I have started the callanetics countdown book. After completion I am looking forward to trying my callanetics countdown dvd which looks like amazing value- express callanetics, an updated original and an updated super all on one dvd! Thank you for the coupon you posted last week, which I used to buy and download classic callanetics which I will use as a long callanetics, along with original 10 in 10 and super eventually.
I am looking forward to callaneticking again. Thank you for all your help and happy new year!
mrs lightyear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-17, 06:21 PM  
Lannette

Quote:
Originally Posted by noraW View Post
I repeated Pure Callanetics with Lacey today and I felt it a bit more. I kept in mind that the pulses need to be tiny and I really engaged. My legs were shaky afterward. I am loving using these in between live Barre workouts. My legs and backside are really shaping up and I don't feel like I'm beating myself up.
I'm really happy for you Nora.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrs lightyear View Post
Dear Lannette
Thank you for all your help. I have started the callanetics countdown book. After completion I am looking forward to trying my callanetics countdown dvd which looks like amazing value- express callanetics, an updated original and an updated super all on one dvd! Thank you for the coupon you posted last week, which I used to buy and download classic callanetics which I will use as a long callanetics, along with original 10 in 10 and super eventually.
I am looking forward to callaneticking again. Thank you for all your help and happy new year!
You're welcome - it's Jude, AM I right? I really like your idea of working through the book and then the DVD.

Do you really want to look back on your life and see how wonderful it could have been had you not been afraid to live it? - Caroline Myss
Old 01-03-17, 06:34 PM  
Lannette

Quote:
Originally Posted by mandie123 View Post
Is there a modification for the thigh rotations,my knees hurt when I try to do them
Hi Mandie, I'm not Callanetics certified but let me float a few ideas by you.

1. If your feet are too wide, rotating from the hips could stress your knees. Make sure you are standing with your feet right under your hip (pelvic/ASIS) bones. Don't mistake outer edge of the hips for your hip bones. Feel for the two bones (one on either side) in the front hips above your thighs. It's narrower than most people think it is.

2. Your feet need to be straight ahead - don't trust them look down and check.

3. Your weight needs to be in your heels. Placing your weight on the front of your heels can place stress in your knees.

4. Be sure that the turn out is from the hip joint not the knees or ankles.

If none of that helps you can lie on the floor, face up. Flex one foot and concentrate on rolling out from the hip, not the knee or foot. Feel what this feels like. Repeat a couple of times and then try the other legs.

As far as I know it isn't a forced rotation. It just keeps your knees facing forward.

If you are streaming then check out the foundation series video on alignment. That's where I learned the tips I mentioned above.

Let me know if any of that helps.

Old 01-03-17, 06:44 PM  
mandie123

Hey Lannette,it's the movement where you are on the floor on knees,than you come up and do rotations left and right.Prob called something else?
Old 01-03-17, 07:17 PM  
Lannette

Quote:
Originally Posted by mandie123 View Post
Hey Lannette,it's the movement where you are on the floor on knees,than you come up and do rotations left and right.Prob called something else?
I totally misunderstood that! Sorry Mandie.

The one tip I've heard is to keep your knees slightly apart while doing it and don't stay too low. In three Countdown book they show it done kneeling with hands on hips, knees hip width apart, hips high and barely bent. Maybe you could try it that way and see if they still hurt.

Are you streaming? If you are I can try to find and point you toward a session where they show a substitution at the barre. (It's too hard to describe. I think you'd do better to see it.

Last edited by Lannette; 01-04-17 at 05:39 AM. Reason: Fix typo and then further clarify

Tags
callan pinckney, callanetics, lacey kondi, pretzel, sandra hanna