Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 08-26-16, 03:28 PM  
Salamander

Square Butt !!

Help please. I've been working for years to improve my butt and it's not working.

I know everyone is different- so here's some info. I'm 46, 5 feet tall, short waisted and hips not much larger than waist. I have improved the volume of my mid-cheeks (if you look at the side view, there is shape)- it's the outer bottom of the cheeks that is square shaped!

Here's what I've tried: brazil butt lift, Tonique (premier mainly), Tracy Anderson Meta and others like Precision Toning, barre (P57, Exhale, Barlates, Barre Method), Callanetics, Ballet Beautiful.... etc.

I think I need to go in the opposite direction- heavier weights and doing more to target the outer glutes, like side and curtsy lunges, also deadlifts and kettlebell swings. I don't want to build my thighs though. I'm really happy with them. I don't have extra fat on my butt or thighs (I tend to store fat on my abs).

I'm open to advice. Anyone manage to soften their square edges into more of heart shaped/round? I don't have the energy to do long intense Tonique-style workouts anymore. I love working out almost daily, but don't want to spend more than 40 minutes so efficiency is great.

BTW, I've been using the Fascia blaster. But I don't think that can help this- I am using it on my midsection/waist to try to soften the curve from waist into the upper buttocks.
Salamander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-16, 03:36 PM  
Demeris

All I can tell you is that too many pretzels made my butt square. I had to leave off pretzels for almost a year to reform my bum.

I'm an hourglass with a natural bubble butt. Right now it could be tighter, but I like its overall shape. I just have to be judicious with pretzels, which I love.
Demeris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-16, 04:00 PM  
sbh

I had absolutely no butt for most of my life. After a year of ballet, it is nicely rounded and lifted. And I am a former fitness instructor. I have taught and done many, many different types of classes. Ballet is hard, but it really defined my butt and legs.
sbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-16, 04:23 PM  
KateTT
VF Supporter

I have been reading how good heavy weight work is for the butt/glutes. I started doing lots more bridge work, weighted deadlifts and Kettlebell swings.
Voila! At 53 and 5 foot 1, I'm seeing the roundness and lift.

I swear by heavy lifting!

When your body screams, tell it to shut up! Body Pump

"Where I am today is where my mind put me. Where I'll be tomorrow is where my mind put me." - Billy Blanks

I'm a SHOCKING GRADUATE of STS!!!! Feb - May '09!
I did it again! I'm a SHOCKING GRADUATE of STS!!!! Feb - May 2018!
Beachbody On Demand 80 Day Obsession - Full Rotation June - September 2018
Third time's a charm! I'm a SHOCKING GRADUATE of STS!!!! July-Oct 2020!
KateTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-16, 10:17 AM  
Ann1964

https://bretcontreras.com/jane-fonda-experiment/
Ann1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-16, 10:31 AM  
mandie123

Thanks for posting that link ann1964,very interesting
Old 08-30-16, 08:18 AM  
Ann1964

Your welcome
Ann1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-16, 10:51 AM  
Salamander

That is a great article, thank you!
I have been researching and compiled a list of 7 moves that I'm going to do at least two times a week- things like clamshells (with circle band), side lunges, deadlifts etc. Gradually building the weight and sets. In addition, I'm going to focus more on heavier weights for my whole body.
Salamander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-16, 11:13 AM  
bjammin13
VF Supporter

Brett Contreras , Strong by Brett, and FitThrive(formerly Get Glutes) w/Kellie Davis. These's are paper workouts that have accompanied libraries of video demonstrating proper form for each exercise. They are both excellent at responding to form check videos And questions. You can access all the get glutes workouts on FitThrive but I've been enjoying incorporating the FitThrive 12 week band program with the Strong by Brett lifting workouts
bjammin13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-16, 11:21 AM  
Tugger31

Butt Bible and Zuzka's Butt Lift Series (on youtube)
Tugger31 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
butt workouts, lower body workouts, pretzel, square butt