Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 03-17-16, 06:54 PM  
momofcha

Kathy Smith revisited...

I just started following Kathy Smith on Facebook & she has my interest piqued - she looks fantastic. I haven't done her videos in a long time. Are there any workouts that have stood the test of time that are still gems???

"I'm just one workout away from a good mood." ~ Valerie Waters
momofcha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-16, 08:31 PM  
turbo1

I still have some of her cardio DVDs (don't recall the titles right off hand) I like Cathe, Amy B, and Michelle D, but I can't do their cardio every day, so I switch to Kathy S and Leslie when my body/mind needs a break. I still enjoy Kathy's cardio DVDs
Old 03-17-16, 08:32 PM  
donnamp

Hi,

I think most of them are still pretty solid! There are some where she gets a bit goofy, but overall, I think they are still good workouts. The ones from the '80's do have a lot of big hair and spandex, but that is to be expected, I guess.

Enjoy!

Donna
donnamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-16, 10:00 PM  
Donna D

My favorite Kathy Smith workouts are the ones that were sold in the Rejuvenation kits. Mary is selling the workouts minus the gadgets.

http://www.totalfitnessdvds.com/Sear...h=Rejuvenation
Donna D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-16, 04:28 AM  
bubbles76

Her workouts on her Super Slimdown Circuit (Secrets to a Great Upper Body, Secrets to a Great Lower Body, and I believe there is a cardio one on the dvd as well) are excellent. I also like her Cardio Knockout, which has two cardio workouts (Boxing and Kickboxing) that are very good. I haven't tried her Matrix Method Ultimate Sculpt (repackaged from Build Muscle, Shrink Fat) but it also looks pretty good. Oh, and her Lift Weights to Lose Weight (LWTLW) workouts are also pretty good, if you can get past the whooping and lack of warm up in LWTLW1. Super Slimdown Circuit and Cardio Knockout will never leave my collection; I hope to say the same for Matrix Method Ultimate Sculpt.

If you like very simple step choreography, then you may like her Step Workout and Great Buns and Thighs Step Workout. Great Buns and Thighs has excellent music and is colorful. Very cheerful workout, but the choreography was too simple for my taste. I think that they hold up very well though. Some people also like her Pilates and Yoga workouts. I have the Pilates one but haven't tried it yet. I borrowed Yoga Sculpt from the library and plan to try it this week.

I also like her three newest ones -- Fast Fit (once I rearrange the order of the workouts, although there is no matrix), Ageless Staying Strong, and Ageless Total Body Turnaround. I borrowed them from the library. I would like to acquire those, as well as the LWTLW workouts.

For reference, I also do Cathe, Jari Love, and Amy Bento, and if I pick the correct weight, I never feel short changed with Kathy Smith She is a breath of fresh air and very fun in an area that has gotten too serious over the years.
"You humans have the potential to be the most wonderful beings there are - if you can get past all these enormous stupid spots you seem to have in your hearts. It's not your fault. You just don't know how to work your hearts right yet. That's why there are dogs." - Jim Butcher, Zoo Day
bubbles76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-16, 06:38 AM  
hotncmom

I love Kathy but I bought several of the Rejuvenation workouts and I found them boring and too easy for me. They looked like just the thing on preview and I was excited to get them, but I only did them once and just couldn't get motivated to do them again. I think there just weren't enough reps to feel the burn on the lower body and my growing dislike of using resistance bands in general. Maybe 30 years from now they'll be just right, if we still have DVD's then.
hotncmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-16, 07:14 AM  
AnMrsDe

Every few years I pull out Kathy's Timesaver Cardio Fat Burner and I always have a blast! It's not complicated choreography, lower impact and just intense enough to keep it fun for me. It is rather repetitive since you do the same moves a few times (TIFTT), but it's great for those mornings when you just would rather stay in bed and don't want to think much during your workout!

The stretch that follows that cardio segment is one of my favorite 8 min. stretches. She includes a few arm stretches but mostly neck, core and lower body stretching.

Since I downsized all her workouts, I kept her Personal Trainer dvd which includes excerpts from Functionally Fit Peak Fat Burning (another goodie!), Timesaver Cardio, Lift Weights to Lose Weight, and New Yoga Basics. http://www.amazon.com/Kathy-Smiths-P...rsonal+trainer

Last edited by AnMrsDe; 03-18-16 at 07:36 AM. Reason: corrected title
AnMrsDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-16, 07:35 AM  
alisoncooks

Are the Lift Weights to Lose Weight any good?
I also seem to hear Project You mentioned often...
alisoncooks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-16, 07:42 AM  
Pat58
VF Supporter

I love Kathy's yoga workouts. She has a strong daily practice and it shows. Her Timeless Collection: Yoga Sculpt features three workouts, New Yoga Basics with a younger Rod Stryker (Yum ), New Yoga Challenge, and Functionally Fit Lower Body Challenge.

Other favorites of mine include:
  • Peel Off the Pounds Pilates which starts with a fun low impact cardio routine then moves into a well structured Pilates workout
  • Both of the Ageless DVDs, each features three 20 minute workouts
  • Tummy Trimmers - the one with the green outfit on the cover, I've read there is a bad bootleg out there with a blue cover
  • Timeless Power Walk for Weight Loss
  • Great Buns and Thighs

I would mention the Lift Weights to Lose Weight DVDs, but I have her Project You kit from Beach Body so don't need LWTLW. In Project You she built on those DVDs. If you can get your hands on that set, including the walking CD, I recommend it! I've also been meaning to get my hands on her Latin Rhythms, VF'ers have told me that one stands the test of time (though I never could figure out why she's wearing a twin set).

Ones I tried and traded or gave away include the kickboxing and boxing workouts and her old Ultimate something which I found to be dangerous by today's standards.

Gee thanks for starting this thread. I'm clawing my way back from a bunch of health issues and adding some Kathy back in sounds perfect.
Pat58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-16, 08:06 AM  
momofcha

thank you everyone! I am going to do a little research on these.

"I'm just one workout away from a good mood." ~ Valerie Waters
momofcha is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
kathy smith, kathy smith compilations, kathy smith walking, rejuvenation