Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 02-22-15, 12:47 PM  
slysam

I think it was from this group that I learned about foam rolling and similar. Right now I have three things: foam roller, Jill Millers Ball and a cheaper version of the rolling stick.

My roller is pretty small and came with a short instructional video from the Core Performance guy (I like his work, but have trouble remembering his name. It is only big enough for half my body (some at my gym are pretty long). My foam roller is the 18" From GoFit. (For some reason I am having trouble getting the link to work, it is about $20 but works great for rolling and fits in my apartment, but it is not so well for some workout DVDs that use a foam roller for core work).

I have Jill Millers tune up balls and a couple of her DVDs, I love them for feet, shoulders and smaller areas. I read here that there are some cheaper pink rubber balls that work just as well (in amazon's toy department and others).

Lately, I added a massage stick as I received one for review (not paid). I find the stick really handy for the shin areas or to use while standing or stretching. I don't think it goes quite as deep as the roller or balls but is more relaxing since I don't have to do contortions to use it. I actually posted a (very amateurish as it is my first) video and written review on my blog: http://www.feelingfit.info/2014/12/t...ckvideoreview/

I think it will depend a little what you want to use it for and also how much storage space you have. There are less expensive and more expensive brand-name options for each.

Last edited by slysam; 02-22-15 at 12:50 PM. Reason: weird formatting
slysam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-15, 01:21 PM  
Susan G.
VF Supporter

I've focused on Jill's newest balls, Treat While You Train DVDs and book, Roll Model and have noticeably improved my sleep/energy the last few weeks. I have chronic, genetic muscle contractions and while the technique is no miracle cure, it allows enough relief to allow rest. Fingers crossed.

There's more news on the rolling front. Sue Hitzmann --Melt Method--who sells a good soft roller is taking pre-orders for a new DVD. I found her book too disorganized to work from. She already has a DVD to accompany the very small balls she sells for hands and feet. The balls come with a small instructional pamphlet which is clear and usable.

Meanwhile Yamuna, with larger, softer balls than most of Jill's has added to her DVDs with a streaming Yamuna in bed. She also has some freebie TMJ videos.

I can't directly compare the different techniques. However Jill has divided her treatment into shorter segments which makes it easier to do them everyday. So I've been able to stick with it and enjoy the results.
Susan G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-15, 08:57 PM  
4leftlimbs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Susan G. View Post
There's more news on the rolling front. Sue Hitzmann --Melt Method--who sells a good soft roller is taking pre-orders for a new DVD. I found her book too disorganized to work from. She already has a DVD to accompany the very small balls she sells for hands and feet. The balls come with a small instructional pamphlet which is clear and usable.
Can you tell me a bit about the balls for the hands? About how small are they, and are they dense or squeezable? Just seems pretty expensive, and I'm wondering if I might be able to find alternatives since I'm thinking of getting the new DVD package that includes the hands and feet DVD.

Last edited by 4leftlimbs; 02-23-15 at 08:00 AM.
4leftlimbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-15, 06:47 PM  
Pam61
VF Supporter

For the original poster...

I have never used a foam roller, but I do have Jill Miller's On Demand Pain Relief massage therapy kit which uses her yoga tune up balls. This two disc set gives you the option to use the balls on the floor or the wall. Jill says the wall is a little more gentle of the two workouts, and also using two balls inside the mesh bag is a little less intense than using one individual ball.

I just did the floor workout yesterday and followed the entire sequence. She starts with upper back and you work down the spine (or to the left/right) with shoulders, lower back, hips, buttocks, and a bonus neck/jaw routine.

Jill demonstrated where to place the balls, using a model of the skeletal system, and she also has two class participants who are doing the therapy along with you, so you can view where the balls are on their body, too! Jill is very good at explaining where you should be placing the balls as well as how you should be feeling. Once balls are positioned you move your body up/down or side to side while laying in relaxed position on floor or slight bridge with hips raised just off the floor, in some instances. She basically walks you through each routine/sequence.

What I noticed with the ball therapy is it creates a feeling of heat sensation just underneath the skin where the pressure is applied. I found it very relaxing for neck, and you immediately feel more balanced and aware of how tense/tight you had been before after the application of the balls. Circulation is definitely improved, as well as imbalances.

For me, since this was my first time through, i was sore after using the balls. And, even today I am still feeling like I do after a visit to chiropractor of physical therapist...relief but also sore in all the right places, even though laying on the balls isn't comfortable or something I was used to. It's not relaxing immediately, since it's a bit intense, but you do feel better afterwards. Kinda hard to explain.

I do want to try the wall sequences/routines so I can compare and contrast, but need a few days to recover. I'm sure with repeated use of the balls you get used to the ah ha moments, like the class participants seemed to be feeling.

Current Rotation:
Dean Pohlman (Man Flow Yoga) 90 Days to Flexible Phase 3 (Intermediate)
Cathe Strength Training (ICE & LITE series)
Pam61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-15, 07:36 PM  
Cher

Wow, thanks for all the great info! I think I'm leaning towards Jill's Therapy balls and either the book or the On Demand Kit. I was hoping to get it from Mary but she's been "out of stock" for a while and not sure when it will come in.
Cher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-15, 11:53 PM  
beyond.omega
VF Supporter

I've been silent on this thread by cause I have no experience with these equipment, but I bought I would chime in. But have you tried Barbara Benagh's YfSR-the SI Joint routine for this problem? It might take care of it without the specialized equipment (although you might need a couple bolsters.)
beyond.omega is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-15, 07:03 AM  
Cher

Quote:
Originally Posted by beyond.omega View Post
I've been silent on this thread by cause I have no experience with these equipment, but I bought I would chime in. But have you tried Barbara Benagh's YfSR-the SI Joint routine for this problem? It might take care of it without the specialized equipment (although you might need a couple bolsters.)
Thanks for your suggestion, I have tried YFSR a few times and it maybe helped a little. I recently bought Jill Miller's Hip Helper which helps a little too. Also have tried Classical Stretch which helped a little, but the stretching just doesn't seem to be helping enough.
Cher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-15, 11:58 AM  
Susan G.
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4leftlimbs View Post
Can you tell me a bit about the balls for the hands? About how small are they, and are they dense or squeezable? Just seems pretty expensive, and I'm wondering if I might be able to find alternatives since I'm thinking of getting the new DVD package that includes the hands and feet DVD.
The Melt Method hand/foot kit has three balls and a tiny resistance band for toes. Two of the balls, a hard density and a small squeezable one are about 1 and a half inches diameter and then there's a small hard ball about half that size. (It's difficult to measure a ball.) The small pamphlet that accompanies the kit explains the exercises clearly. I received the kit free when I attended Sue Hitzmann's class and showed proof I'd purchased her book.

In contrast, Yamuna has two types of half-domes for feet and Jill works feet with her regular balls.

(Sorry for the delay; I've been traveling.)
Susan G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-15, 12:36 PM  
mspina

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cher View Post
I've been having a slight pain in my hip/glute area. I've been trying some stretching and it does help but I thought about maybe trying a foam roller. Once I started looking, I realized they are much more expensive than I thought and many varieties including the therapy balls like Jill Miller uses. I'm so confused as to what to get.

Any help, advice, explanations or suggestions for size or whether I should get a softer or firmer one would be greatly appreciated.
Honestly, for the hip/glute area, I find that a lacrosse ball gets in there much better than a foam roller. Not dissing the roller, I use one every day. But if you are looking to save some money, you don't need a fancy specialized piece of equipment. LAX ball, baseball .... will do the trick quite nicely.

Random Stuff:
  • Spinervals Team Member Triathlon Coach
  • Avid CrossFitter
  • Former Triathlon Fanatic
  • 2008 Boston Marathon Finisher
  • Cast member in IronGirl StrEndurance workout (released 12/07)

mspina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-15, 01:03 PM  
4leftlimbs

Thanks, Susan G.! That was helpful!
4leftlimbs is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
foam roller, foam rollers, miracle balls, pinky balls, therapy ball