Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 01-31-15, 07:46 AM  
Tugger31

I know you have to join for access to blogs and more info, but there are a ton of great articles that you can access for free. The articles I have read for free have dealt with fat loss, exercise, macronutrients, Paleo diet. The site definitely has a CrossFit vibe which I like.

One article gave a great work week schedule that I am going to implement because I can definitely fit this into my busy work schedule. Also I have wanted to work on my flexibility but always let my yoga workouts fall to the wayside in favor of more "calorie burning workouts". A no-no according to one of the fat loss articles. Without diet details it basically says cut cals and carbs on rest days and lighter workout days.

Sunday--Rest
Monday--Yoga
Tuesday--WOD
Wednesday--Rest
Thursday--Strength
Friday--WOD
Saturday--Strength

It stresses lower intensity for fat loss stating you can't go all out crazy with your workouts, restrict cals a bit and expect to lose body fat without your body eventually protesting. I'm going to play around with the order of these workout days and for the "WOD" will likely do a circuit workout or some sort of "metabolic" workout. For strength, will play around with splits or total body workouts. The big thing for me is being okay doing workouts that make me feel nicely worked out, not drenched and gasping for air.

Thanks again for the site Michelle! I feel liberated, like I have been given "permission" to scale it back. Of course I have to keep my diet in check but I think that will actual be easier when I'm not doing super tough/RWH type workouts everyday!
Tugger31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-15, 08:38 AM  
desie

I agree with moderate intensity workouts, getting enough sleep, having down time, reducing stress on your body/spirit in every way. I had two other sentiments to share. One, try to arrange your life so that you choose how to spend most of your day. Jettison the activities that are less important to you. If your days are arranged so that you are looking forward to what you are going to be doing, it is much better. Two, try to find a physical activity that you are good at and can get better at. Then you will look forward to doing it, and feel rewarded as you get more skilled from practicing.
desie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-15, 08:43 AM  
Tugger31

Unfortunately, that is part of the problem. I have a very demanding job that has long hours, I'm on my feet all day and it is mentally taxing as well. There is no way to arrange my schedule, short of quitting my job, to do that. Financially that is not an option right now. I'm trying to make the best of the situation, but it's a struggle!
Old 01-31-15, 09:06 AM  
smith938
VF Supporter

if you managed Cathe 2x last week on top of being exhaustd then I"d say that's pretty good- try adding in something else less intense a few of the other day s- maybe Leslie or Jessica Smith's walk or yoga...

I'm afraid I' not much help because right now all I can identify with is wantng to lose and being tired from work (mine is al ot of mental too and is really draining even if we're nto busy) but I need to lose more so the Leslies do it for me...also I'm nowehre near a cathe and dont think I'll ever be so it's hard to recommend something less intense that isn't super easy for you.

but I DO know a walk after work even if I'm tired helps me clear my mind. right now it's too dark after day shift but I try to walk before work on night shift when there's still some daylight. try for maybe 20 min or treadmill or 1 mile Leslie..just something to help your mood if not burnng mega calories
Old 01-31-15, 09:12 AM  
Tugger31

Definitely will try to get in some more walking. Unfortunately it'll be treadmill walking until the weather is better. It's dark when I get home and right now it's 15 degrees with snow on the ground and 8 more inches predicted for the weekend. Snow Max is going to be in full effect again soon! Good squat workout though
Old 01-31-15, 12:33 PM  
Bebop

Tugger - I don't know what you do for work but I am in a very similar situation. I have a very emotionally taxing job, my commute is 1 1/2 to hours, not counting if I have to go to a court that could be anywhere from 1 - 2 hours away. Financially I need this job so I have to stick with it.

I take it you live in N.E. like I do or some other snow belt area. I get up before the sun, can't even walk my dog in the a.m. anymore, and by the time I get home - after 7:00 p.m. I'm exhausted it's dark and cold. I'm also rehabbing a shoulder injury.

So I feel the frustration you have as far as trying to work out and get the weight loss going. What has worked for me recently is to remember the old Nike ad "Just Do It." I have been working out, not so much for a goal but fun. I put in something I like and just do it. I have also given up on working out 7 days. I just try for at least 5. I am giving myself permission to do shorter workouts and make up for longer ones on the weekends.

Yoga is wonderful. Kundalini is magic. I know because I've stopped and I miss it and am going back to it VF is great too. Full of caring people and motivation. Life just happens and we have to flow with it.

Diet is 90% of the formula and like LynnO - I think I too will never finish menopause. I agree to have your labs tested again. Also, don't be too hard on yourself. Give yourself permission to just be. It's okay. IBS can be a challenge but I agree that maybe a chat with a nutritionist would be helpful, if you can find the time.

Cathe is good motivator but maybe you just need to switch it up? If you like Cathe, how about her bodyblast series? It's fun and there are lots of pre-mixes and chapters and mix and match that you can make shorter workouts.
Bebop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-15, 12:46 PM  
Tugger31

Thanks for the kind words, Bebop. It's good to know there are others out there with similar job situations. I have all of Cathe's workouts and have already made a decision to use the outline I posted above. Even within that framework I'm going to consider even a 30 minute workout an accomplishment. I'm no longer going to fret about what workout to do, as long as it's in the category for that day. If I feel I haven't worked upper body enough, I'll do a circuit that is more upper than lower body etc. I have alot of KCM's 30 MTF workouts as well as some recent FIRM acquisitions, JNL Fusion, Bob Harper, ZCUT, the original KB Kickboxing Scorcher set etc. Basically I have no shortage of workouts. I use the "Just Do It" mantra alot, I now will just change what the "IT" is

I really feel that once I scale back a bit, I won't be as hungry and it'll be easier to eat healthier and the carb cravings will dissipate. I have considered a nutritionist but I pretty much know after about a good 25 years of trial and error what flares up my IBS and what doesn't. I just have to cut back on the stuff that does.

Hoping Spring is somewhere near so at least I can leave for work and/or come home from work and see some light which will help!
Old 01-31-15, 02:19 PM  
smith938
VF Supporter

LOL you need to move to Houston - we get some cold but think the lowest I've seen it/felt it was around 17 F last year- that was freezing for here. I've seen ice a couple of times but thankfully haven't had to drive on it.
do you have the virtual active hikes or youtube where you can watch the virtual hikes others film? I like to get on my rebounder, pick a hike from youtube or a virtual active one and mute it then put in a cd with music Il ike and just bounce/walk on the rebounder...may do that tonight since I'm already tierd and barely halfway through this 12 hr shift

Tags
amber glasses, blue light glasses, blue light readers, insomnia, sleep help