Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-29-15, 05:29 PM  
PrairieGem

Quote:
Originally Posted by LynnO View Post
ETA if you know of a site like this for encouragement for habit changing, please share.
https://www.facebook.com/BeckDietSolution
http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/beck-diet-solution-234/
http://www.amazon.com/Beck-Diet-Solu...+diet+solution

The above book/author, recommended here on VF in a thread about emotional eating several years ago, got me to take an honest look at what I was doing, and helped me lose almost 20 extra lbs I didn't want to drag into my 40s.

I have IBS (going on 20 years now), work and have an insanely busy family life/schedule, and get 5 hours of sleep on a really lucky day. I've been a consistent exerciser all of my adult life, but just couldn't seem to shake the extra weight. Dr. Beck's program reminded me that losing weight takes honesty, focus, and discipline... and she serves it up in spades. When you can't eat a lot of traditionally healthy foods, it's really easy to go overboard on things we *can* eat, and as we get older, it really does get harder to outrun dietary indiscretions. The Beck program focuses on eliminating/reducing stress, and rejiggering your life and schedule so that your health becomes your top priority... which makes all the rest of it exponentially easier.
Old 01-29-15, 05:58 PM  
yahoo205

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrairieGem View Post

The above book/author, recommended here on VF in a thread about emotional eating several years ago, got me to take an honest look at what I was doing, and helped me lose almost 20 extra lbs I didn't want to drag into my 40s.

I have IBS (going on 20 years now), work and have an insanely busy family life/schedule, and get 5 hours of sleep on a really lucky day. I've been a consistent exerciser all of my adult life, but just couldn't seem to shake the extra weight. Dr. Beck's program reminded me that losing weight takes honesty, focus, and discipline... and she serves it up in spades. When you can't eat a lot of traditionally healthy foods, it's really easy to go overboard on things we *can* eat, and as we get older, it really does get harder to outrun dietary indiscretions. The Beck program focuses on eliminating/reducing stress, and rejiggering your life and schedule so that your health becomes your top priority... which makes all the rest of it exponentially easier.
I still have to read this book, workbook. Thank you for the links.
yahoo205 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-15, 06:54 PM  
videofit

If you want to spend time with your family, why not go bike riding, walking, swimming, dance, play volleyball or badminton, etc. It will give them the fitness habit.
Old 01-29-15, 07:39 PM  
Tugger31

Mostly b/c I'm so tired and it's dark when I get home from work

I have no idea what kundalini or buti is so have to do some research there...
Tugger31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-15, 08:08 PM  
Tugger31

Michelle, thank you for the info on the Eat To Perform website. I have browsed thru it and have read one article but it's a very informative site! The article I read stated simply that for fat loss your workouts need to focus on maintaining performance and scaling down to the bare essentials. That was music to my ears! Looking forward to reading more!
Tugger31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-15, 11:10 PM  
LynnO
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrairieGem View Post

I think I may have recommended that book. Read it, loved it, never implemented it. I'm going to try lurking on the 3 fat girls thread and go from there.
LynnO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-15, 02:19 AM  
Sinclair

If some of you are looking for a good book on emotional/intuitive eating then you might check out Josie Spinardi's 'How to have your cake and your skinny jeans, too'.
It's a cheesy, stupid title but the ebook is golden and she has a very friendly, entertaining and engaging style. I found that she answered all my questions - but it might not be something you'd like to do since it's not a diet.
Just thought I'd share this since I really enjoyed the book and it might help someone else, too.

If you feel stressed out about food and stuff this might be something worth looking into.
Sinclair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-15, 11:37 AM  
mspina

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tugger31 View Post
Michelle, thank you for the info on the Eat To Perform website. I have browsed thru it and have read one article but it's a very informative site! The article I read stated simply that for fat loss your workouts need to focus on maintaining performance and scaling down to the bare essentials. That was music to my ears! Looking forward to reading more!
Right - a big eye opener the way they explain it. You can't build and cut fat at the same time. You need to eat to build, then have a deficit on your rest days, which means it will take you longer to drop fat if you are still working out hard. But once you have that in your head? It's ok, because you can understand what's going on in your body. I love it.

Glad you enjoyed what you've read so far!!!!

Random Stuff:
  • Spinervals Team Member Triathlon Coach
  • Avid CrossFitter
  • Former Triathlon Fanatic
  • 2008 Boston Marathon Finisher
  • Cast member in IronGirl StrEndurance workout (released 12/07)

mspina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-15, 09:47 PM  
FitJosee

A lot of good things have been written.

My 2 cents is that lack of sleep can probably in some cases prevent weight loss + trigger overeating or making poor food choices.

I have a chronic food related condition too, and 1 year ago I started seeing a nutritionist beause after 10 years I was having a rebellion agaist my condition & managing my care was a big challenge. I already knew tons about food, I knew it all!!! But consulting with her was very emotionnaly soothing and physically helpful. I'm in a much better place now. I've made peace with my condition, actually eat food that are better for me most of the time & I lost weight. One of my big haha discovery, is that I eat wrong when I'm tired and that fat was more present in my diet than I realised.

I exercise intermediate 30 to 45 minutes 4 to 5 times a week and it works for me. Sometimes I just watch a TV shows that I enjoy, later at night, while speed walking on the treadmill. It's like adding a second shot of pleasure to the prosess. I know it's not the best time or most challenging, but at least I'm mooving regularly and I can slowly loose weight and maintain a fine balace.

I hope that things will get better for you soon
Old 01-30-15, 11:02 PM  
LynnO
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mspina View Post
Right - a big eye opener the way they explain it. You can't build and cut fat at the same time. You need to eat to build, then have a deficit on your rest days, which means it will take you longer to drop fat if you are still working out hard. But once you have that in your head? It's ok, because you can understand what's going on in your body. I love it.

Glad you enjoyed what you've read so far!!!!
The web site! Do you have to sign up to actually see anything. I hate popups and have them blocked. Some of their page didn't load correctly. I'm really interested, and partly for my daughter who won't listen to me, lol. She has 2 a days for track, from crossfit once or twice a week for 6 months and could understand better that what she eats during the day (or not, mostly not) affects her workouts.
LynnO is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
amber glasses, blue light glasses, blue light readers, insomnia, sleep help