Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-01-14, 10:27 AM  
MsThistlebottom

Quote:
Originally Posted by withak View Post
I followed one of her rotations about four years ago, along with walking every day and WW and dropped 25 pounds. I used her books way back when, and added videos along the way. I use a combination of the two now.

While I try lots of other instructors, at some point I always go back to Joyce.

Kathy
Same experience here, and I'm still using a combo of her books and DVDs. I dropped 28 lbs in five months three years ago using primarily Joyce's BUG (Bottoms Up Gold) for upper body, rebounding and walking for cardio, and a bit of yoga and qi gong for flexibility. I did tweak my diet, but I tend not to see any results unless I'm strength training regularly. For me, muscle eats fat.

"When I was young, I used to admire intelligent people; as I grow older, I admire kind people." -- Abraham Joshua Heschel
MsThistlebottom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-14, 11:03 AM  
Hej

About 7 years ago I had honest-to-goodness amazing weightloss and strength results with one of Joyce's more intense mix-it-up plans, the eating plan from her Bottoms Up book, and lots of walking. I lost about 10 kg in 12 weeks, and have have never had results like that before or since. This was despite several years with Cathe and The Firm.
Hej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-14, 01:42 PM  
Scorpio6

Wow! Some very interesting and encouraging responses here! Thanks so much to all who have responded, and looking forward to more!

To thos eof you who have lost weight with JV workouts, which do you think is the best, fastest acting for weight loss?
Scorpio6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-14, 01:43 PM  
bzar
Exchange Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by withak View Post
I followed one of her rotations about four years ago, along with walking every day and WW and dropped 25 pounds. I used her books way back when, and added videos along the way. I use a combination of the two now.

While I try lots of other instructors, at some point I always go back to Joyce.

Kathy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hej View Post
About 7 years ago I had honest-to-goodness amazing weightloss and strength results with one of Joyce's more intense mix-it-up plans, the eating plan from her Bottoms Up book, and lots of walking. I lost about 10 kg in 12 weeks, and have have never had results like that before or since. This was despite several years with Cathe and The Firm.
every time i read a VF JV success post, i start considering doing one of her rotations from her books. i own the 12-min Workouts book and the fat burning workout.

i have trained in the gym using index cards.... i've often considered transferring her sequences to cards. i'll bet that you get the moves memorized after a few sessions.

my question to those who used her books with success -

did you do it at home, and what were your heaviest poundages for DBs?

i asked because i don't want to lift heavier than 15# for each dumbbell because i don't own racks at home, and i don't want to go to the gym to work out. Joyce says repeatedly in her books that you don't need super heavy dumbbells, and has even stated that 5# DBs in each hand and body-weight type exercises will yield muscle definition (you contract your muscles intensely during the moves).

when i did a CLX rotation, i had to switch to bands because i hurt my back just getting the heavier DBs into position (again - no racks at home). i squatted to pick up/put down the weights too, and even then, i had to be careful.

i have a weight bench at home too, but no rack for very heavy bench press. i can bench press 45 pounds with a rack and a spotter.

Miyagi: Wax on, right hand. Wax off, left hand. Wax on, wax off. Breathe in through nose, out the mouth. Wax on, wax off. Don't forget to breathe, very important.
[walks away, still making circular motions with hands] ~ Pat Morita, The Karate Kid, 1984

disclosure: in the years 2002-2004 i had a professional relationship with a distributor of fitness videos; see profile.
bzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-14, 02:03 PM  
MsThistlebottom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scorpio6 View Post
To thos eof you who have lost weight with JV workouts, which do you think is the best, fastest acting for weight loss?
Of course, that's mostly about diet, but Bottoms Up Gold is the gold standard for me. The upper body segment alone is about 40 minutes and tough if you use heavy enough weights. There are so very very many reps that it becomes almost meditative for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bzar View Post

The heaviest for me three years ago was 5, 8, and 10. I have a different set of dumbbells now and recently have worked up to using 5, 7.5, and 10 (yes, I'm a weight wimp ). I lighten up on weights if I'm doing a full pyramid routine and lifting relatively fast to my own music (Definition, for instance). My goal is to get up to 10, 15, and 20. I believe Joyce says in one (or more) of her books that it's not necessary to go heavier than that with her routines.

"When I was young, I used to admire intelligent people; as I grow older, I admire kind people." -- Abraham Joshua Heschel
MsThistlebottom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-14, 02:06 PM  
bzar
Exchange Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scorpio6 View Post
Joyce Vedral does aerobic weight training AWT and claims you can lose x amount of pounds in 6 months time for example just by a regular program.

Has anybody here ever actually done that? Just curious.

TIA to all.
this thread might interest you.

Miyagi: Wax on, right hand. Wax off, left hand. Wax on, wax off. Breathe in through nose, out the mouth. Wax on, wax off. Don't forget to breathe, very important.
[walks away, still making circular motions with hands] ~ Pat Morita, The Karate Kid, 1984

disclosure: in the years 2002-2004 i had a professional relationship with a distributor of fitness videos; see profile.
bzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-14, 02:28 PM  
luvcritters
VF Supporter

I did WTME book workout for 8 months a very long time ago. It pulled me in in all the right places. Two guys who live on our road hit on me. Never did JV regularly after that.

I also got injured but it was my own stupidity because I was new to lifting. I'm still paying the price for that. I think it was with a video but it was so long ago I don't remember.

If you do the work the workouts will work for you.
luvcritters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-14, 04:00 PM  
eam531
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bzar View Post

I worked out at home with Joyce's books. The very first book of hers I used was "The 12 minute workout" and I only had one set of 3 pound dumbbells. Later, I acquired more weights and started adding different poundages to Joyce's workouts. I went from with 3/5/8 pound dumbbells and worked up to 8/10/15/20 pound dumbbells (depending on what body part I was exercising). I stopped at 20 pounds (for lat rows) because I don't have dumbbells heavier than that.

No barbells or spotters needed.

In one of her books (Definition, maybe?) Joyce said that she didn't go higher than 20 pounds.

Numerous people on this forum have said that they got their best results using Joyce's workouts. You don't need much equipment or space, and they're time-efficient.

There is no way of telling people they are all walking around shining like the sun--Thomas Merton

People have done all kinds of remarkable things because they thought they could. People routinely fail to do quite ordinary things because they assume they can't--Reinhard Engels

Stay gold, Ponyboy--S.E. Hinton

Pick up your crazy heart and give it one more try--Ryan Bingham

Disclosure: I have a personal relationship with a fitness instructor who has appeared in some videos.
eam531 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-14, 07:21 PM  
m42

I used 3, 5, and 10s like the book recommended. I had never lifted weights before and it was very hard for me. I also did the rapid reps. I used an ottoman for the bench. Now I could go up to 35s.
m42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-14, 07:25 PM  
m42

I'm tempted to go back to Joyce. Just get a good playlist on the iPod. I don't even have to take off my jammies.
m42 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dynamic tension, fast forward, joyce vedral, top shape, weight loss, weights only