Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 06-08-13, 09:25 AM  
KellyMarie65

Quote:
Originally Posted by MomOf2Gremlins View Post
Ok, this thread lead me to go back and request some of the mentioned books from Paperbackswap (where I've traded my copies away in the first place some years ago! LOL):
*12 Minute Total Body Workout
*The Fat Burning Workout

*College Dorm Workout (it wasn't mentioned here but the reviews on Amazon sounded great!)

And bought from an Amazon Marketplace seller *Definition, shape without bulk

Now I'm excited to actually start using Joyce's routine again! I remember back when I did follow her plan, I felt great! (Granted, I was also 10 yrs younger, but I'd like to think I can achieve that feeling & look again! -Or at least close to it! )
The definition one sounds good from the reviews. These seem like nice routines when I don't have alot of time. Let me know what you think of the definition book.
KellyMarie65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-13, 11:15 AM  
fitloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by MomOf2Gremlins View Post
*College Dorm Workout (it wasn't mentioned here but the reviews on Amazon sounded great!)
I missed this before but wanted to chime in that The College Dorm Workout is what got me started with Joyce years ago. It is really Marthe's book written with Joyce about a program they put together when Marthe had gone to college and gained weight. It drew me in because you really don't need much space at all to work out. Just a pair of 5-lb dumbbells and a chair and a telephone book. (The telephone book is used for calf raises but you can do them without the book.) Most of the pics are of Marthe. Some of the pics are of Joyce and I believe they are from another of her books (either Definition or Fat Burning Workout).

I still love that book. Even though I gave it away years ago, I still remember the routine by heart. And I give credit to Joyce for introducing me to weight training, because like her other books, she gives lots of information.

ETA: Joyce's tapes are my main routine in my workout. I prefer strength training and I like her routines, plus I enjoy her personality. I mostly use the DVDs as a guide. I pause the tape when I need to if I feel she's going too fast for me.
fitloon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-13, 01:11 PM  
MomOf2Gremlins

Quote:
Originally Posted by KellyMarie65 View Post
The definition one sounds good from the reviews. These seem like nice routines when I don't have alot of time. Let me know what you think of the definition book.
I will! Right now I'm first giving the College one a try for the next weeks as I feel I don't have anything to reveal definition of yet!

Quote:
Originally Posted by fitloon View Post
I missed this before but wanted to chime in that The College Dorm Workout is what got me started with Joyce years ago. It is really Marthe's book written with Joyce about a program they put together when Marthe had gone to college and gained weight. It drew me in because you really don't need much space at all to work out. Just a pair of 5-lb dumbbells and a chair and a telephone book. (The telephone book is used for calf raises but you can do them without the book.) Most of the pics are of Marthe. Some of the pics are of Joyce and I believe they are from another of her books (either Definition or Fat Burning Workout).

I still love that book. Even though I gave it away years ago, I still remember the routine by heart. And I give credit to Joyce for introducing me to weight training, because like her other books, she gives lots of information.

ETA: Joyce's tapes are my main routine in my workout. I prefer strength training and I like her routines, plus I enjoy her personality. I mostly use the DVDs as a guide. I pause the tape when I need to if I feel she's going too fast for me.
I'm reading/doing the College workout right now (started yesterday with the UB routine and did the LB today) and like it a lot too that it's really Joyce's DD who experienced the weight gain and came up with the workouts together with her mom.
I was surprised how 'toast' my arms were after the Giant sets with 'only' 5 lbs! I'm feeling it today in my arms! Much more than I do with other ST routines! I really enjoy JV's super sets and true pyramid style!

I've never done any of her DVDs but actually enjoy working out to books again right now.

"Change what you can. Accept what you can't. Live peacefully with all that's left."

MomOf2Gremlins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-13, 04:39 PM  
donnamp

I dug out my copy of Definition! I never tried it b/c I haven't worked out w/ books before - but maybe it is time to give this a try!!

Donna
donnamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-13, 07:28 AM  
MomOf2Gremlins

Donna !*wave*
Hi stranger!

"Change what you can. Accept what you can't. Live peacefully with all that's left."

Old 06-09-13, 08:05 AM  
Lucky Star
VF Supporter

I've begun collecting some Joyce books too, and I find I really like the College Dorm Workout book.

With minimal tweaking it becomes her Fat Burning Workout - both use giant sets and it's easy to turn the College Dorm Workout into a modified pyramid. I made notes about which optional exercises to add or substitute and I like that the CDWO book is smaller-sized and easily portable (I plan to take it on my beach vacation in July).
Lucky Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-13, 08:08 AM  
MomOf2Gremlins

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky Star View Post
I've begun collecting some Joyce books too, and I find I really like the College Dorm Workout book.

With minimal tweaking it becomes her Fat Burning Workout - both use giant sets and it's easy to turn the College Dorm Workout into a modified pyramid. I made notes about which optional exercises to add or substitute and I like that the CDWO book is smaller-sized and easily portable (I plan to take it on my beach vacation in July).
Great idea, Gina! I didn't think of that!
I plan on printing out the excis + modifications so I can actually go through the sets more fluidly.

Do you use only 1 weight like it's suggested in the CDWO?

Old 06-09-13, 08:24 AM  
Lucky Star
VF Supporter

Yup Val, I am currently a bit deconditioned - too many exercise breaks - so for now and at least through my vacation week I plan to use one pair of dumbbells, using dynamic tension or increasing the poundage when they begin to feel too light. I think when I get back in mid-July I'll be ready to incorporate the (modified) pyramid system.

My focus is to commit to a program and stay serious about it. For a combination of reasons my DVDs aren't doing it for me at the moment. I've never been one to exercise from a book but Joyce's books are VERY easy to follow.

Good news is I've lost about 10 pounds so far this year so I have made some progress already and my starting place is lighter.
Old 06-09-13, 08:37 AM  
MomOf2Gremlins

Gina,
congrats on having lost 10 lbs already this year, that's great!!!

As far as the weights go, I feel deconditioned myself as I've mainly used 3's when ever any barre workouts required weights and certainly lost some strength!
Today I feel my entire torso and lower body from yesterday's LB workout and I also 'only' used 5's, so until those will feel easy, I will also use only those for a while!

I've lost interest in my DVDs right now too and ever since we've arrived back in the US I basically used my laptop; for the past weeks Jessica's Youtube workouts.
I actually look forward to work out to Joyce's books for a while now and see where it takes me! [I will however try to finish Jessica's 5 week summer challenge in combo with the CDWO.]

Old 06-09-13, 08:42 AM  
Lucky Star
VF Supporter

Ah, thanks, Val! Your rotation sounds wonderful and Jessica is SO refreshing to workout with. Let us know how the combo works.
I'll be doing Joyce in the AM and low-impact cardio in the afternoon. Some Jessica to be sure!

Tags
college dorm workout, definition, dynamic tension, joyce vedral, significant weight loss, weight loss, weights only