Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > Polls
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Sleep & Insomia issues?
Have trouble falling asleep most nights. 2 1.60%
Have trouble staying asleep most nights. 41 32.80%
Wake up too early most nights. 14 11.20%
All of the above! 31 24.80%
Sleep like a log most nights. 37 29.60%
Voters: 125. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-20-13, 08:46 AM  
Vintage VFer
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helen View Post
I can sleep like a log, ON a log, in a noisy place... So this isn't my problem, but many of you may find >>this article<< interesting, and helpful.
Helen, I've read that article before. It is really interesting! Taking naps during the day is also supposed to be beneficial. Too bad it is not exactly convenient.

It may be psychological, but I do feel better if I get at least seven hours of uninterrupted sleep.

POSTURE CHECK!
Vintage VFer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-13, 12:47 PM  
Nuggie's Auntie

I've read that article, too, and it def. resembles more how I seem to be inclined to sleep, but it's very frustrating in this day and age! I hate how early I have to go to bed to accommodate my wakeful period, and my kids get up too early to enable me to sleep more in the morning (6am is considered sleeping in around here.)
Nuggie's Auntie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-13, 08:43 PM  
BunnyHop

I've read that article a while ago, but it was interesting to read again.

For me, a relaxed attitude about getting to sleep, falling asleep, staying asleep, waking up 'too early' and other such issues has been helpful.

For a long time, I had some stressful things going on in my life that prevented me from just rolling with whatever sleep came my way, so I was on Ambien CR.

I forced myself off of it after a while, (once the crises were over and I had the luxury of a few nights/days of fatigue from lack of sleep while adjusting) when I realized I wasn't really getting much benefit from it anymore, and tried to reevaluate my sleeping environment, my eating habits, my clothing, etc., to see what else could be adapted to improve things.

Since I came down with influenza earlier this year, I've been napping in the late afternoon or early evening. At first, I did it because I was still recovering, then I realized it was truly helpful and kept it up. Not every day, since life won't always allow it, but it does seem to be helpful. Somehow it doesn't disrupt my nighttime sleeping, not sure why. Just stretching out and relaxing, eyes closed, is also a help.

Eating too much in the evening and wearing too much in the way of pajamas also seems to have been a big problem, so changing those habits has been a big help. (I wear those men's sleeveless t-shirts, with pajama bottoms, either long or short. Not glamourous, but I've pretty much quit waking up because I'm too hot, so I'll take it.)

ETA: Also realized that a xylitol/saline nasal spray I've been using for allergy related congestion/mucus has really helped my sleep too, in addition to helping me breathe through both nostrils without medication. What a relief. It's been a big help.
BunnyHop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-13, 04:24 PM  
DejaDeb

I have a cat who wants affection at 3 AM; she lets me know this by bumping her head against my face. I don't want to banish her from the room (I love her furry-little-bundle-self when she's sleeping quietly in the bed), so I just absently stroke her until she's had enough.
Old 02-21-13, 05:43 PM  
Pat58
VF Supporter

I opted for sleeps like a log most nights but I've had many bouts of insomnia in my life, notably when I was a child and then in my late 30's to 40's. Every once in a while I'll have an insomniac night but not as often now.
Pat58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-13, 11:40 AM  
Jeanne Marie

I also opted for sleeps like a log, but this hasn't always been the case.

I went through about a year where sleeping was tough. It was right during the time I was starting menopause. I had the occasional night sweat too. Fortunately the night sweats are now gone and I sleep like a log most of the time.

I'm especially grateful for it too, because I know what it's like to lie awake trying despeately to get to sleep and watching the clock. It's no fun, and it certainly takes a toll on your physical and mental health.

Hugs to all who are going through this.
Old 02-22-13, 12:04 PM  
Laura S.
VF Supporter

I grew up with one of each my parents sleeping opposite of each other. Dad has always had trouble sleeping. My mom sleeps like a log. Dad's line about Mom's sleeping is, "You've heard of the Princess and the Pea? Your mother sleeps like a peasant!"

And, I grew up to sleep like my mom. There are some weeks when I have trouble sleeping, but usually it's not a problem going to sleep or staying that way. The main problem is having enough time to sleep before I have to get up and get ready for my day. Yes, I sleep like a peasant!

Laura's Workout Mantras:

Something is better than nothing
The best workout is the one you will DO
Laura S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-13, 01:55 PM  
LauraBella

I used to be in the "all of the above" category, but I take a magnesium supplement now, and now I "sleep like a bug." Get your physician's input, of course, but I highly recommend magnesium!
Old 02-27-13, 05:48 PM  
bzar
Exchange Moderator

i've tackled this question a lot, even initiated a sleep check-in a few years back.

in the past 2-3 months, i've been working on this. currently reading a book by Dr. Michael Breus (a PhD, not an MD) called "Sleep Doctor's Diet Plan" which spends a good amount of pages about non-food aspects about sleep hygiene. hygiene refers to your environment, your daily activities that you do while awake, caffeine intake, exercise, etc.

he has a lot of excellent, immediately usable techniques for tackling all of the issues that insomniacs encounter. another book that i read, by Alex Lukeman (Sleep Well, Sleep Deep) also gives you the techniques in the first chapter, and then spends the rest of the book tackling select topics about physical issues that affect sleeping, children's sleep issues, and other topics.

Michael Breus's research prompted the experiment published in Glamour magazine about how several women lost weight simply by increasing their sleep!

he's written another book about getting a good night's sleep (Good Night), which is also pretty good.

so far, my immediate goal is sticking to a bedtime routine which begins 1 hour before your intended bedtime:

set your alarm to 1 hour before bedtime, stop what you're doing, then spend -
20 min to get things ready for work the next day
20 min to shower, clean up, brush teeth
20 min to stretch, relax, do yoga, meditate, etc to calm yourself and transition to bed

in the summer of last year, i conducted a month-long check-in for meditation, which greatly helped me improve my ability to relax myself before bed. we had a small core of VFers, and i learned how to meditate.

Miyagi: Wax on, right hand. Wax off, left hand. Wax on, wax off. Breathe in through nose, out the mouth. Wax on, wax off. Don't forget to breathe, very important.
[walks away, still making circular motions with hands] ~ Pat Morita, The Karate Kid, 1984

disclosure: in the years 2002-2004 i had a professional relationship with a distributor of fitness videos; see profile.
bzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-13, 09:58 AM  
SpiritSong

I voted "like a log," but I notice when I take a break from exercise, I am part of the "wake up during the night but can't get back to sleep" crowd.

Tags
i'm tired!, insomnia, sleep