Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > Polls
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Sleep & Insomia issues?
Have trouble falling asleep most nights. 2 1.60%
Have trouble staying asleep most nights. 41 32.80%
Wake up too early most nights. 14 11.20%
All of the above! 31 24.80%
Sleep like a log most nights. 37 29.60%
Voters: 125. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-19-13, 01:00 PM  
Vintage VFer
VF Supporter

Sleep & Insomnia Poll...

Scanning VF, it seems some of us have sleep "issues." Either trouble falling asleep or trouble staying asleep or waking up way too early.

Let us commiserate!

POSTURE CHECK!
Vintage VFer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-13, 01:21 PM  
Nuggie's Auntie

I could have gone either way on 'have trouble staying asleep' or 'waking too early.' Sometimes I have trouble falling asleep, but not usually.
Nuggie's Auntie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-13, 01:36 PM  
Vintage VFer
VF Supporter

I was thinking of "trouble staying asleep" as waking and going back to sleep multiple times per night. (Which sucks.)

As opposed to just waking up once way to early and not being able to get back to sleep. (Which also sucks.)

POSTURE CHECK!
Vintage VFer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-13, 01:56 PM  
antbuko

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alta-tude View Post
I was thinking of "trouble staying asleep" as waking and going back to sleep multiple times per night. (Which sucks.)

As opposed to just waking up once way to early and not being able to get back to sleep. (Which also sucks.)
I do both of these things. Last fall I slept 7 hours straight one night - A-mazing! I am used to it now. I do some times get night sweats so I got a oscillating fan for the bedroom - a must have for women of a certain age. I really don't mind so much anymore, especially getting up a little too early. I make use of the time. It does catch up with me sometimes, though. This past weekend I got up early and then went back to sleep, which was very luxurious.
Old 02-19-13, 02:14 PM  
glavtx
VF Supporter

I wake up a little too early, but only once or twice a week, and then it's usually only an hour before I'd want to get up, so I put no problems.

I did have terrible insomnia, especially when going thru the change, the night sweats were the worst!

One thing that's really helped me is Lee Holden Qi Gong dvds. The days I do one, I really do have the best sleep. His 7 Minutes of Magic has a PM extended version, that's only about 15 minutes long, and I'd swear it's what cured my problems falling asleep. There's a very simple foot massage on it, that he says you can do right in bed, that's for insomnia.

You sit so that you're in bound angle (butterfly) pose, but separate your feet so that the soles are still facing each other. You use your thumbs to massage the bottoms of your feet with fairly firm pressure for about 30 seconds -- the spot to concentrate on is the "bubbling springs" right below the ball of your foot -- when you bend your toes, it's the area that's hollow.

If the only prayer you say in your life is Thank You, that would suffice.
Meister Eckhart

It is our resistance to things as they are that causes most unhappiness.

When you rise in the morning, give thanks for the light, for your life, for your
strength. Give thanks for your food and for the joy of living. If you see no
reason to give thanks, the fault lies in yourself. Tecumseh
glavtx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-13, 02:17 PM  
Nuggie's Auntie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alta-tude View Post

No, I get the distinction (all too well!) but really, sometimes it's one and sometimes it's the other.
Nuggie's Auntie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-13, 02:40 PM  
Buzzer

I don't know if I can fairly answer this question since I have a baby... so I don't sleep through the night at all. BUT, I answered for before she was born, which I would wake up for about 2 hours during the night every night. I would have my radio on "Coast to Coast" (radio show) just so I'd have some entertainment while I was wide awake. Sometimes, I'd wake up and clean a room. Then, when I wake up in the morning, the room is clean and it's like it magically happened (since it was in the middle of the night between sleeps. It was kinda like having an extra day sometimes!)

Now, I can say all of the above, depending on if she's growing, or had a busy day, or is cranky, or didn't have many naps, or had too many naps, or...
TA Omni 90 days completed! 7/11/11-ish
Tapout XT1 90 days DONE! 6/29/13
Body Beast: Done 3/14, minus the last week. I started JNL and never looked back!
JNL DONE! 5/12/14
Buzzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-13, 04:08 PM  
athompson10
VF Supporter

I'm all of the above, though my most frequent problem is waking up and not being able to get back to sleep at all.
Old 02-20-13, 07:57 AM  
gigi

I sometime have trouble falling asleep but I now know to stay up until I'm falling over and I fall asleep much faster. My biggest issue is staying asleep. I hardly ever remember dreaming and toss and turn all night, waking up many times to a full wide awake state and it totally sucks. I never feel well rested and I wish I could figure out what to do to stay asleep.
Old 02-20-13, 08:13 AM  
Helen

I can sleep like a log, ON a log, in a noisy place... So this isn't my problem, but many of you may find >>this article<< interesting, and helpful.
• Resistance training is critical. 💯

¹ Walk first
² Weights next
³ Cardio for fun
⁴ Add stretch & balance.
Helen is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
i'm tired!, insomnia, sleep