Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-09-13, 05:06 PM  
Honeydew

I'm probably the only one who can't use melatonin...it causes me to wake up every hour and I am very groggy the next day.
Honeydew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-13, 05:36 PM  
athompson10
VF Supporter

My sympathy is with all of you suffering from insomnia. I had a bad bout a few years back in the midst of awful life stress when I was sleeping only a few hours each night (and I'm one who lists 'sleep' as a hobby - I love sleep, naps, bedtime, being drowsy, pillows, beds.....EVERYTHING about sleep). After six weeks, I was questioning my ability to function. Reluctantly I went to my GP. She tried me on two different sleep aids, and Ambien was the one that saved my sanity, no joke.

At that time, taking active (non-drug) steps to lower my stress level at bedtime - no caffeine at all, limiting TV/internet, stretching, calming teas, mind exercises - did nothing and I'm fortunate that a pill was able to help.

It sounds like a lot of you have gone the medical route, but for anyone who hasn't - you don't have to live with sleeplessness. There are a lot of aids, including pharmaceutical ones, to help. If you haven't done so, see your medical professional!
Old 01-09-13, 10:39 PM  
FitBoop
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by nairie View Post
It really, really is

Although my energy levels have gotten better (b/c of more consistent exercise/vitamins) my insomnia continues to worsen. And when I don't do these things consistently, it's really debilitating for me.

There are days I am so tired adn foggy that I want to cry so badly. That's how tired I am.

Sorry to be such a downer!
I read that the body adjusts to lack of sleep, so it becomes increasingly more difficult to cure insomnia as time goes on. Although we adjust to lack of sleep, in terms of somehow being able to function on 4 or 5 hours, we are definitely not functioning optimally. On the rare occasions when I actually sleep 7 or 8 hours, the next day, I am like the Energizer Bunny, and realize how awful I feel most of the time because of the lack of sleep. I honestly do not know how I work out when I haven't slept well, but I push myself and it doesn't feel good when I am doing it (i.e. going on the treadmill). There is no pep in my step.

There are some good books out there about naturally curing insomnia. Most of them say that you need a wind-down ritual at night. Children usually have wind-down rituals before bed, like taking a bath and having a story read, and adults need to do things to relax before bed. That means NO COMPUTER (horrors ), no problem-solving, no doing bills or other stressful activities, no exercising late, and no eating late.

I read that it helps a lot to take a hot bath at night, because sleep occurs as the body's temperature goes down. I tried it and it worked.

What has helped me in the past is doing a progressive relaxation tape (either a DVD or CD).

I have had to cut out even decaffeinated drinks, because even a drop of caffeine will make it harder for me to sleep.

We are designed to sleep when it gets dark and wake when the sun comes up. Those of us who are awake way past sundown are fighting the natural rhythm of the body. Of course, sundown is at 5 p.m. in the winter, so it's impossible to go to bed when it gets dark.

In Nancy Lonsdorf's book, "A Woman's Best Medicine," she says that we should go to sleep at 10 p.m. and wake at 6 a.m. for optimal sleep and functioning. If only...

Another good book is, "Say Goodnight to Insomnia."
FitBoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-13, 11:00 PM  
JanaK

I work rotating shift work and usually have insomnia when I switch from nights to days. I take a melatonin (that I got at GNC) and that always helps me.
Old 01-09-13, 11:11 PM  
nairie

I too work shift work (until 2am 4 days/week so I know that contributes to my insomnia but I've had insomnia even before I started this job.

? have to update/365
nairie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-13, 11:20 PM  
nairie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gams View Post
Count me in...I usually fall asleep around 10:00, wake up at 1:00 and again at 2:00 and/or 3:00 and then around 4:00 and stay awake until the alarm goes off at 5:00.
This is exactly me (just different hours). I wake up every hour or two, like clockwork, every single night. I can't remember the last time I slept more than a few hours straight.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kali1 View Post
Usually, if my sleeping pills do not help, then I try some relaxation music (sounds of waves, rain, etc) which helps most of the time but if that doesn't help, I stay up until I get drowsy enough to fall asleep for a few hours. It's frustrating because like you said, you get so tired, you just want to cry.

I saw another thread about Ultimate Yogi and sleep: http://forum.videofitness.com/showthread.php?t=188452

That might be something worth trying. :/
Hi Kali, I love the sound of rain/waves but I've never tried that for sleep. I probably should. Maybe I'll get one of those radio alarms that have those sounds on it. It is very frustrating. Thanks for the link to the UY thread. I'd love to try UY (or any other yoga for that matter) but I just CANT get into it. Believe me, I've tried.

Quote:
Originally Posted by athompson10 View Post
My sympathy is with all of you suffering from insomnia. I had a bad bout a few years back in the midst of awful life stress when I was sleeping only a few hours each night (and I'm one who lists 'sleep' as a hobby - I love sleep, naps, bedtime, being drowsy, pillows, beds.....EVERYTHING about sleep). After six weeks, I was questioning my ability to function. Reluctantly I went to my GP. She tried me on two different sleep aids, and Ambien was the one that saved my sanity, no joke.

At that time, taking active (non-drug) steps to lower my stress level at bedtime - no caffeine at all, limiting TV/internet, stretching, calming teas, mind exercises - did nothing and I'm fortunate that a pill was able to help.

It sounds like a lot of you have gone the medical route, but for anyone who hasn't - you don't have to live with sleeplessness. There are a lot of aids, including pharmaceutical ones, to help. If you haven't done so, see your medical professional!

Sleeping (or laying down/resting) is a hobby for me too! If I could, I'd lay in bed all day, most days. And I love naps too.

I'm happy that Ambien helped you I've tried both Ambien and Trazadone and unfortunately, neither of them have helped me. OTC sleeping aids don't really help me either. They may help me fall asleep but no matter what, I wake up every hour or so, even if I'm groggy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FitBoop View Post
I read that the body adjusts to lack of sleep, so it becomes increasingly more difficult to cure insomnia as time goes on. Although we adjust to lack of sleep, in terms of somehow being able to function on 4 or 5 hours, we are definitely not functioning optimally. On the rare occasions when I actually sleep 7 or 8 hours, the next day, I am like the Energizer Bunny, and realize how awful I feel most of the time because of the lack of sleep. I honestly do not know how I work out when I haven't slept well, but I push myself and it doesn't feel good when I am doing it (i.e. going on the treadmill). There is no pep in my step.

There are some good books out there about naturally curing insomnia. Most of them say that you need a wind-down ritual at night. Children usually have wind-down rituals before bed, like taking a bath and having a story read, and adults need to do things to relax before bed. That means NO COMPUTER (horrors ), no problem-solving, no doing bills or other stressful activities, no exercising late, and no eating late.

I read that it helps a lot to take a hot bath at night, because sleep occurs as the body's temperature goes down. I tried it and it worked.

What has helped me in the past is doing a progressive relaxation tape (either a DVD or CD).

I have had to cut out even decaffeinated drinks, because even a drop of caffeine will make it harder for me to sleep.

We are designed to sleep when it gets dark and wake when the sun comes up. Those of us who are awake way past sundown are fighting the natural rhythm of the body. Of course, sundown is at 5 p.m. in the winter, so it's impossible to go to bed when it gets dark.

In Nancy Lonsdorf's book, "A Woman's Best Medicine," she says that we should go to sleep at 10 p.m. and wake at 6 a.m. for optimal sleep and functioning. If only...

Another good book is, "Say Goodnight to Insomnia."
Thank you for your post, lots of helpful info, esp the book rec's. And that totally makes sense about your body getting used to insomnia, making it harder to sleep. I never thought about it that way, but that makes total sense. And I know what you mean about forcing yoruself to workout. That's why I don't work out as much as I want to/need to, not because I'm not motivated, its' b/c I haven't slept and the thought of working out or doing much of anything seems like such a struggle.

? have to update/365
nairie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-13, 11:28 PM  
gigi

I've been tossing and turning for about an hour. Going to give sleep a go again now...
Old 01-09-13, 11:40 PM  
JanaK

Another thing that helps me is a Biobrite alarm clock that I got a few years ago. It was expensive for an alarm clock, but well worth it in my opinion. When I go to sleep I set the "sunset" to 15 minutes and the light gradually dims, and by the time it is out I'm usually almost asleep.

http://www.biobrite.com/products.php?category_id=1
Old 01-10-13, 12:17 AM  
Yvette69

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honeydew View Post
I'm probably the only one who can't use melatonin...it causes me to wake up every hour and I am very groggy the next day.
I take melantonin quite often and have the same issue, particularly if I take too much and too late at night.

I find that if I take 5000mcg (Natrol brand) at around 8pm or so, I do OK.
Yvette69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-13, 12:29 AM  
wellnesswife

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyskier View Post
Try Harney and Sons for the best tea I have had:

http://www.harney.com/harney-teas/herbal-teas.html
These look amazing! Thanks for sharing
wellnesswife is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
insomnia, sleep, sleep help