Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 01-09-13, 06:43 AM  
gigi

I have difficulty staying asleep. On a good night I wake up too many times to count, wide a wake, like startled awake, then I go right back to sleep. On a bad night, I'm just awake and stay awake. There are definitely times where it effects me and I crumble under the stress of the day or feel like I'm just keeping from losing it at bay. That's why I totally allow myself a lazy weekend whenever I want it. For example last weekend my couch and I and netflix spent a lot of time together (I did workout each day though). I figure my body and mind just needs to rest and recover on the weekends so rarely do I pack it full unless it's fun stuff, of course.
Old 01-09-13, 06:57 AM  
nyskier
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fit Gal View Post
Does anyone have decaf herbal tea recs? Thnx
Try Harney and Sons for the best tea I have had:

http://www.harney.com/harney-teas/herbal-teas.html
nyskier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-13, 07:08 AM  
Fit Gal

Thnx for the tea recs. Usually i it takes me a long time to fall asleep and t i wake up several times throughout the night. I am always tired. It does take a toll on me. I walk around at work so i don't fall asleep at my computer. I try to catch up on weekends but my DS needs my attention. I am going to check out those teas today Thnx
Fit Gal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-13, 09:45 AM  
PeakFitness

Ok I wake up around 3:30 or 4, but it is usually in the middle of a dream, which I've read could be because that's when the throat is most relaxed and could be sleep apnea during REM sleep. So if you're waking up several times, it could be the same type of problem, waking up during REM.
Old 01-09-13, 02:49 PM  
weezy

I used to be one of those people that once I fell asleep I would not wake up at all during the night. Another let's hear it for menopause. Oh, how I love thee. NOT! If I am not waking up in a pool of my own sweat, it is to use the bathroom. I am not a doctor and don't play one on t.v., but my doc told me to take 1 mg of melatonin. Now, I am not telling anyone to start using melatonin without checking with their own doc first, but it did help to relax me and even though I still woke up, I was able to get back to sleep a lot faster. I have since discontinued using it because I am one of those people that do not trust taking anything like that. But, it was nice while it lasted. So, I have tried to make lifestyle adjustments pertaining to my situation. I still have good nights and bad nights. I guess it is what it is.
weezy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-13, 02:54 PM  
Severen

Hello there!

Life-long insomniac here, plus another sleep disorder that developed two years ago (because I'm lucky like that).
Old 01-09-13, 02:59 PM  
dela

Bad sleep runs in my family for all the women on my mom's side. When I was younger in my twenties a combo of melatonin and valerian worked well for me. Then I moved to OTC sleeping aids like simply sleep (which I do not like and stopped working anyway), now I take an ambien nightly to go to sleep. I don't like having to take a nightly pill, but I prefer it over not sleeping.

ETA: I have problems getting to sleep, but once asleep, I will sleep until the morning.
dela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-13, 03:01 PM  
Gams

Count me in...I usually fall asleep around 10:00, wake up at 1:00 and again at 2:00 and/or 3:00 and then around 4:00 and stay awake until the alarm goes off at 5:00.
Gams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-13, 04:34 PM  
kali1

Quote:
Originally Posted by nairie View Post
Thank you Kali! It's good to know I'm not alone (although it sucks that you experience this too )

I should get my thyroid checked too. I don't know much about thyroid problems but I remember reading it can affect weight and sleeping and mood if it's out of balance.

Do you take anything for sleep?
Usually, if my sleeping pills do not help, then I try some relaxation music (sounds of waves, rain, etc) which helps most of the time but if that doesn't help, I stay up until I get drowsy enough to fall asleep for a few hours. It's frustrating because like you said, you get so tired, you just want to cry.

I saw another thread about Ultimate Yogi and sleep: http://forum.videofitness.com/showthread.php?t=188452

That might be something worth trying. :/
kali1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-13, 04:39 PM  
Nuggie's Auntie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gams View Post
Count me in...I usually fall asleep around 10:00, wake up at 1:00 and again at 2:00 and/or 3:00 and then around 4:00 and stay awake until the alarm goes off at 5:00.
This sounds similar to my sleep pattern. Historically, I didn't struggle so much with falling asleep, but then would wake up frequently and/or be awake for a while in the night.

Now I sometimes have difficulty falling asleep, too.
Nuggie's Auntie is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
insomnia, sleep, sleep help