Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-21-12, 11:11 AM  
FirmDeb

Exercise Bike for Pear Shaped?

My birthday is in January and I want a new piece of exercise equipment. I have a treadmill and my new dream machine would be an elliptical, but I don't think it will fit where I need to put it. So, I'm thinking about an upright exercise bike.

I'm curious if any Pear-shaped Vfer's have had experiences with exercise bikes. I'm especially concerned about the thighs. Since I have a treadmill (and tons of cardio dvds) the bike wouldn't be my only source of exercise, I'm thinking once a week.

Also, any recommendations on a good quality bike would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Debra
FirmDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-12, 12:53 PM  
starbelly

Have you considered a trampoline? I am a pear and I know that cycling just doesn't give me the shape I want (unless it's outdoors with wind resistance/hills). I have a Needak and a Bellicon but I much prefer the latter since it is super quiet and the softer bounce makes me work harder. Bellicons are quite pricey in the US since they are made in Europe, but mine was worth every penny. You can get videos to give you an idea of types of exercises or you can bounce/dance to music. It doesn't take up a lot of space (I lean mine against the wall) so it won't take over a room. Plus there are many health benefits such as lymphatic flush. Try it, you'll love it!
starbelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-12, 01:36 PM  
FirmDeb

Hi Starbelly,

Thanks for your suggestion. I have an UR and love it. I'm looking to add to my exercise collection.
Old 06-21-12, 02:04 PM  
Jane P.
VF Supporter

I've heard pros and cons on this. Some of my friends have said it really slimmed their thighs, while others have said the opposite. I think it depends on the amount of resistance you use when pedaling. I've been a spectator at professional bicycle races, and the female racers have solid muscle in their thighs, but they don't seem to be unduly large.
Old 06-21-12, 03:10 PM  
FirmDeb

Thanks Jane. I'm going to be stalking the sports channels for female cyclists events. It's an Olympic sport, isn't it? Ooh, I know what I'll be watching next month. hahahaha. I'm thinking that you're right in your observation about the level of resistance and since it won't be the only cardio I do, it may help define my legs rather than bulk up.
Old 06-22-12, 10:03 AM  
starbelly

A stationary bike would never give you the results of a road bike because you are not clipped into the pedals. A stationary bike relies mainly on the quads (and bulked me up) but clipping into pedals activates the muscles in the back of the leg and gives a more efficient pedal stroke. The results are not comparable unless you put a road bike on an indoor trainer.
Old 06-22-12, 10:44 AM  
FirmDeb

Thanks Starbelly for sharing your experience. Using a stationary bike bulked up your quads, were you using the bike for your main source of cardio? For me it would be in addition to the treadmill, Zumba & the UR as well as my cardio dvds. Since I wouldn't be using the bike exclusively I probably won't have to worry about bigger legs but maybe it'll help define my legs.
Old 06-22-12, 12:22 PM  
Kellie

Quote:
Originally Posted by starbelly View Post
A stationary bike would never give you the results of a road bike because you are not clipped into the pedals. A stationary bike relies mainly on the quads (and bulked me up) but clipping into pedals activates the muscles in the back of the leg and gives a more efficient pedal stroke. The results are not comparable unless you put a road bike on an indoor trainer.
Or you can put clipless pedals on your spin bike. That's what I did. Works beautifully!
Kellie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-12, 02:47 PM  
FirmDeb

Thanks for the tip, Kellie.
Old 06-23-12, 05:16 AM  
starbelly

I was using the stationary bike as my main source of cardio and I have naturally large quads; perhaps your experience will be different since you are alternating with other activities. Using a road bike did help to even out my legs since I was clipped in. I think that the spin bike with clips is a great alternative although I have never personally used one.

How much does a good spin bike cost and what are some recommended models?

Tags
exercise bike, pear, stationary bike