Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 10-10-11, 07:58 PM  
mommy2two

Needing options/ideas

I may be moving to an apartment and it will be a drastic change from what I am used to (but also the best for my situation right now) . So I need ideas on what kind of exercise can I do and what ones should I avoid ? Also how is using equipment in an apartment - a good idea or a bad idea ? Currently I use workout dvds/vhs, stationary bike, or mini trampoline....but I use these in a house. Thanks for any help! It is going to be hard enough to try to get my children to learn to be more quiet. I definitely don't want to move in a new place and make my neighbors mad but I hope I don't have to give all my exercise up either.
mommy2two is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-11, 08:04 PM  
Pepnchar

I just moved from a house to an apartment a couple of months ago. I am on the ground floor this time around... I made that request when I was first looking at apartments... for several reasons, one of them being my exercise habit. But back in the day I used to live in a 2nd floor apartment. I don't think my downstairs neighbor noticed my exercise routine. The equipment you described doesn't sound too noisy. You can always introduce yourself to your downstairs neighbors and let them know you exercise and possibly work out a time that would be the least disturbing.
Pepnchar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-11, 08:05 PM  
buffmama

You may not know what will work til you get there. Time of day you're exercising could make a difference. I have a carpet under my treadmill to help with noise (although the clothes drying on it really aren't loud ). Wall to wall carpet will also dampen sound. I do mostly DVDs/videos and am just careful when jumping that I land as softly as possible (I do high impact, but I'm not a tuck jump, inner thigh scissor kind of gal). My neighbors are teachers and leave earlier than me so that helps too. Good luck.
buffmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-11, 08:07 PM  
icebergslim

Well, there have been quite a few vidiots who are in apartments that have had to deal with their neighbor's complaints about their exercise regime. Meaning, if you have neighbors below you, don't be surprised if you run into complaints by them if you are working out. Most apartment buildings are paper thin and any jumping of the slightest one can hear. Just giving you heads up. So, hopefully you are on the ground floor so your jumping, etc. does not distract your neighbors. Next, depending how large your apartment is, are you dedicating one room to an exercise room? Because for an apartment you do have quite a bit of equipment. A stationery bike should not be a problem, but a trampoline could be. Also, depending on the type of dvd exercises you are doing, if they are more low impact, stationery it should not be a problem, but if it includes a lot of jumping remember to take heed to any neighbors you may have below. Good luck on your move.
icebergslim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-11, 08:09 PM  
mommy2two

I am hoping that I get a downstairs one cause getting my two young kids and groceries etc. up stairs will be difficult .
Old 10-10-11, 08:13 PM  
mommy2two

I figured the mini trampoline would be easy to put anywhere. I don't usually keep it out - when I get done with it I lean it up against a wall. I have a variety of workouts like Biggest Loser, Taebo, Denise Austin, Firm, etc. that would include more jumping stuff. But I also have my old faithful Leslie Sansone that might be an option. I won't be able to dedicate one room to workout in - that would be nice but probably won't be an option until years, years down the road when my kids are grown.
Old 10-11-11, 05:38 AM  
Kyra

If you can, go for a ground floor apartment. I also got one because of my exercise habit, although at this point it really doesn't matter because I seldom work out indoors/at home anymore (it's mostly on the road/at the gym). If I had an upstairs neighbor who used a treadmill or jumped around a lot, as sympathetic as I am toward others who exercise, there would have to be some discussion. I doubt the stationary bike would be a huge issue, though, unless it's noisier than most and you work out at odd hours. If you use weights and don't have carpet, it might be helpful to have some mats or a small area rug where you could put them down between sets (your floor will appreciate that, too).

Mostly, though, I think being willing to talk to your neighbors is key.

Certified Bulletproof Athlete
Kyra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-11, 07:37 AM  
moviegrl1737

I lived in a third floor apartment and ended up exercising in the kitchen because it was over cold storage for the apartment below. Luckily I had the extra TV and/or portable DVD player (but a laptop or a computer setup would work too) so that I could do that.
Insanity Grad
Half Marathon Finisher

"What you do today is important because you are trading a day of your life for it." - Unknown
moviegrl1737 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-11, 08:03 AM  
Kesal

I don't have a lot to add that hasn't already been said, but, yeah, if you're on the ground floor, you can likely do pretty much anything you want.

If you're on an upper floor, it depends. Noise from the bike or the trampoline will carry well to the apartment below. Where I live now, exercise equipment isn't even permitted in upper floor apartments; having previously lived below someone with a rowing machine, I appreciate that. But, as others have said, if you have good communication with your neighbors, you may still be able to find times (or figure out which room) to use them that won't bother anyone.

I live on the second floor now, and I try to stick to low/ no impact workouts. I also work out in the very early AM, in the living room (which is over my downstairs neighbors' living room, not their bedroom). I figure that I need to save my neighbors' good will for any annoyances my dog might cause (he's a good apartment dog, but he is a dog, and occasionally barks or runs around). So I try to keep my workouts unobtrusive.
Kesal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-11, 09:15 AM  
Sarah-lara
VF Supporter

Many apartments will have something in the lease about what exercise you can do. Ours said no running & no fitness machines of any kind. Generally most provide an exercise room if there is nothing nearby.

You can sometimes even negatively affect your upstairs neighbors depending on how the place was built. The vibrations of the kids running in the unit beneath us used to knock over glasses and cause my pictures to go askew. I'm extremely grateful no adult has ever decided to kickbox, rebound, or DDR down there.

I don't do any cardio here, though thankfully I bought a garage when the place went condo so I can use that now. I haven't done any loud exercise (including a Leslie) in my apartment for over 15 years now and I'm just fine. Lots of opportunities out there if you are open to them and flexible.

I do yoga, pilates, kundalini, hula hoop, weights, kettlebells, barre and many other things inside. I also have a Magnetrainer mini-bike that is whisper quiet. I walk a lot of my errands (post office, drugstore, etc.) I also now belong to a gym for the spinning classes. Some gyms are reasonable in price and have daycare to boot. This one was something like $10/month, so that's cheaper than 12 DVD's a year. HTH

Tags
apartment, condo, downstairs neighbors, stationary bike, workout space