Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-29-10, 09:16 AM  
D72

Hi Lisa. Try going to 30 Minute Workouts and scrolling down. On my On Demand-Tonique Fitness is second-to-last there. Hope this works for you!

Diana
D72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-10, 09:29 AM  
in paris

Quote:
Originally Posted by alisoncooks View Post
You're right, it's not....but this time it's Tonique...before this there was BBL...before that.... (see where I'm going?) So THAT does get expensive. I'm resisting Tonique so hard b/c right now it's a "bandwagon" getting lots of raves. I'm trying to figure out b/f I take the plunge, if this is something I can stick with or would be able to do.
So sorry I couldn't compare it (don't have any you mentioned) for you...

And, yeah, I understand about not wanting to get sucked into bandwagons. Truly, I do!

I looked into Tonique far before it was fashionable, took one look at the squats and lunges and decided to pass.... Took another look early this year (again, pre-bandwagon) and decided to take a chance (lots of stress in my life and I was looking for something as mindless and aggressive as stair-stepping). And I'm really glad I did!

It was something I had to "grow" into, taking it slower at first -- not matching Sylwia's pace until I got stronger. Because of the way she had broken it up, thirty reps or whatnot, I was able to do the exercise for the entire time, if not as fast. Slowly, I was able to build up until I could keep pace. So what some have considered monotonous, I find was the reason I stuck to it

I mute the sound, put on my own music, and just do it. I glance at the screen to see when to change legs, but otherwise I'm in my own kind of meditative zen state....

Others have gotten into Tonique 2, but I still can't. I think it's because she mixes it up and a)I have to pay attention [which I'd rather not] and b) it makes it much more difficult for me to concentrate on my form (and thus protect my knees).

Speaking of knees, the drills she has are out for me until I get a rebounder. I just do my own thing to increase the cardio effect for the allotted time.... I also honestly feel that doing Tonique has actually helped me strengthen my knees -- because I've gone about it in such a methodical way. But but but it is not something I can do when I'm tired and my form might be sloppy! I respect my limitations and I respect the workout.

You can do this!

Would you stick to it? Only you can know that... It is strangely addictive, though, and I think it takes doing it a few times at least before you really get a feel. Also, subbing your own music is hugely recommended!

I say you should take somebody up on the offer and borrow it

(and don't be turned off that it's a bandwagon)
in paris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-10, 09:33 AM  
bee
VF Supporter

Seconded! (what in paris said, that is -- try it!)
bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-10, 09:33 AM  
alisoncooks

Thank you in paris ~ That was truly helpful (though now you might be guilty of pushing me back in the direction of *interested* ).

I'm going to hold out a while, but I'm keeping my eye on this. Maybe it can be a reward for getting myself consistent again with my workouts .
alisoncooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-10, 09:45 AM  
D72

Hi Alison. Great thread by the way. I'm trying to resist too (is it futile?) but I'm pretty close to ordering just the Mat. I'm going to alternate it with other standing workouts that I know will be more doable for me and my legs/knees as I don't think I'm ready for the intensity of the standing/cardio drill Toniques.

These are older workouts (that are not dated in my opinion) but they may interest you too. Again-as you said before-these are in no way the *same* as Tonique but alternated with mat-type work-could prove to be similar on the fab scale. I'm planning on alternating these with her Mat workout-although most have mat exercises too so they can be done without Tonique as well. And would still provide great results. They're also all pretty inexpensive now which is always nice, right?

Kathy Smith Secrets of a Great Lower Body-This is now sold as part of a compilation along with a truly great/no-nonsense upper body workout and a cardio interval/lower body toning workout that rocks. It combines standing work with mat work and there are options to use ankle weights if you like. It's very mellow and well-thought out-and extremely effective! I always come back to this one.

Perfectly Fit Legs and Perfectly Fit Buns-These are only available on used VHS here in the US but they are amazing and totally worth getting I think. These are part of the Claudia Schiffer/Kathy Kaehler series and consist of many reps of standing and floor exercises. The settings are gorgeous and I find these really challenging although some more advanced people might not. In fact-I'm not allowing myself to order Tonique until I do these for a straight week and see how well I can handle it! If you happen to have a region-free DVD player-you can order these on DVD (on one disc) from Amazon UK.

Kathy Smith Functionally Fit Lower Body Firming-This is an all standing workout that is very underrated I think! It's pretty short and gets the job done very well. It's now sold as part of Kathy's Yoga Sculpt DVD (odd that she chose to put it with yoga to me) or you can buy the now out-of-print solo version from a third-party seller.

See links below and hope this is helpful!

Diana

http://www.amazon.com/Kathy-Smith-Su...2551912&sr=8-1

http://www.amazon.com/Perfectly-Fit-...2551968&sr=1-2

http://www.amazon.com/Perfectly-Fit-...2551997&sr=1-4

http://www.amazon.com/Kathy-Smith-Fu...2552031&sr=1-1

http://www.amazon.com/Kathy-Smith-Yo...2552065&sr=1-1
Old 04-29-10, 10:51 AM  
patrice
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisarah View Post
I've searched on Exercise TV on Demand & can't find it. Anyone know what category or how to find it please??
It is under "most popular".

Patrice
patrice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-10, 07:06 PM  
D72

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrice View Post
It is under "most popular."
Yes-I see now that it's under both of these-good to know! 30 Minute Workouts--and Most Popular as Patrice pointed out. Hope you found it Lisa!

Diana
Old 04-29-10, 07:10 PM  
pbnj

You could just put on your favorite music and do as many lunge and squat variations you know.
pbnj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-10, 08:44 PM  
KarenJo
VF Supporter

I'd also recommend Kathy Smith's Super Slimdown Circuit compilation DVD. The lower body workout is a good no-nonsense routine on a nice set. The interval workout, Peak Fitness, is very much the cardio and lower body combined kind of thing. It basically alternates slow unweighted lower body moves with interval-intensity cardio bursts that use similar moves. Mostly the cardio is one or two moves done as fast as you can go. Levels are given. Mary has the DVD for 4.99.

Amazon has Kathy's Great Buns and Thighs Step workout for $5 something if you do step. Didn't you recently invest in one? This is also alternating strength moves and cardio routines that will work your legs. It starts out slowly and builds. Combos are dead simple. It ends with some floor/on the step stuff if I remember correctly. Peak Fitness also has a bit of floor work. It may just be stretches which you do need.

For some thing completely diferent, I like Deante Dance. The 2-disc set has 5 workouts at different lengths and levels with lots of overlap in the moves used. These use very simple combos with lots of squat-related stuff. It's between $25 and 30 but there is a related DVD I haven't tried called Percussive Jam that Amazon has for less then $15. The music is pretty much drum beats, I think the set is CIA, and they're produced by JB Burns of rebounder fame.

I now have a doctor's order to never again do push ups (yippee!)
KarenJo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-10, 09:08 PM  
Lucky Star
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbnj View Post
You could just put on your favorite music and do as many lunge and squat variations you know.
See, that's what I'm thinking. Cardio drills (with or without a rebounder), many reps of lunges and squats with variations, and your own cool music... what do you need a video for?
Lucky Star is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
anti-bandwagon, bandwagon, kathy smith compilations, tonique