Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 01-20-09, 03:42 PM  
lreidgreen
VF Supporter

I have had the Petrone Method balls for some time. I liked them for chronic pain in the upper back/shoulder blades. However I recently purchased and have been using a foam roller and that seems to work better.
I just got the Jill Miller Tension Tune down CD with the balls but have not used them yet.

When I purchased the Petrone method balls it came with a small book explaining the method ( breathing and body weight ) and describing ball placement for different areas of soreness. I recently saw this set at BJs.
I purchased my foam roller online at Perform Better

Leslie
lreidgreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-09, 03:53 PM  
toaster
Exchange Moderator

I have all of the above--Petrone balls, Jill Miller balls, and foam roller--and I definitely like Jill's balls the best! The are definitely smaller and significantly harder than the Petrone balls (but more squishy than tennis balls--sort of like racquetballs?). Jill does send a simple Xeroxed sheet along with the balls that has a little diagram, although it's kind of hard to read. However, I find that the good thing with her balls is that exact placement doesn't seem to be necessary, as you can feel the pain (in a good way!) wherever you put them!

I like the foam roller too, although I find it more difficult to get into the smaller tight areas of my upper back and neck. For the Petrone balls, you are basically supposed to just lie there and breathe, and I just don't find this as useful, although I still use them once and awhile.

Btw, for those who like Jill, she has recorded several new CDs using the balls that are supposed to be released soon!

Follow me @YogiBethC

YouTube|Instagram|Facebook
And yes, I am Reviewer Dr. Beth on Amazon.
toaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-09, 03:57 PM  
charleyandbecky

I always reply to these threads about the Miracle Balls with enthusiasm, because I have had a set for years. I absolutely love them for lower back pain and for tension headaches. I have the set with the little book (approximately 10.00 at Costco usually) and I have heard that the book is better than the dvd because it has better instruction.

NOTHING has worked for me like these balls. Simple but very effective, at least for my particular areas of tension and pain.
Rebecca
charleyandbecky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-09, 04:25 PM  
BunnyHop

I'm a fan of the Petrone set too. You can adjust the firmness by adding some extra air. (I've found that mine get deflated over time, so occasional adjustments are necessary.)

I've been using mine off and on for a while now, and am quite pleased with them.
BunnyHop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-09, 04:35 PM  
Sarah-lara
VF Supporter

They didn't help my lower back pain (the inversion table does!), but my brother uses them a lot for his upper back pain. They aren't a miracle for him - he's still on a lot of medication and sees various doctors - but he does find some relief with them and uses them regularly.
Sarah-lara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-09, 05:01 PM  
CarlaVeg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah-lara
They didn't help my lower back pain (the inversion table does!), but my brother uses them a lot for his upper back pain. They aren't a miracle for him - he's still on a lot of medication and sees various doctors - but he does find some relief with them and uses them regularly.
what's the inversion table? do you have one?

Carla
CarlaVeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-09, 05:21 PM  
cristinalatina

Carla, I experience intense pain frequently between the shoulder blades. I recently saw a very highly recommended PT, who said that the culprit is the neck, not the upper back. If your neck hurts when you turn it to both directions with full range of motion, I'd suggest you take a look at that spot too. Might be tension that spreads downwards.
Old 01-20-09, 05:37 PM  
Sarah-lara
VF Supporter

Hi Carla, I do have an inversion table (that table that swings you practically upside down). I got it off Craigslist for about $100. I keep it collapsed when not in use because I have so little room. There are several threads on it here on VF. Like anything, it worked for some and didn't for others. If you are in a doctors care, you should run it past them first because I believe it is contraindicated for certain types of back problems. The last thing I want is for you to feel worse!
Sarah-lara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-09, 05:45 PM  
CarlaVeg

Quote:
Originally Posted by cristinalatina
Carla, I experience intense pain frequently between the shoulder blades. I recently saw a very highly recommended PT, who said that the culprit is the neck, not the upper back. If your neck hurts when you turn it to both directions with full range of motion, I'd suggest you take a look at that spot too. Might be tension that spreads downwards.
My neck does hurt actually.... thanks for the info!

I'm going to Costco tomorrow to see if I find the Petrone's set. On their website it costs $10.5 or so. My girlfriend from work has a membership and she is going to take me In the meantime, I'll do these exercises at home tonight using the tennis balls. Are these exersices the same as in the little book?

http://www.elainepetrone.com/pdfs/woman.pdf

Carla
CarlaVeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-09, 06:55 PM  
charleyandbecky

Carla...just some info...the Miracle Balls are usually with the books in Costco.
Rebecca
charleyandbecky is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
miracle balls