Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 03-20-07, 05:24 PM  
Pratima
Exchange Moderator

Verrrry interesting! I'm up in the middle of the night, every night, with the baby. You would think that sheer exhaustion would make it easier to go back to sleep, but that's not the case. I'm going to try some forward bends!

I do know that just doing some stretches (i.e. sort of getting the kinks out) in the evening helps relax me. Getting rid of the tense feeling helps my emotional state, I'm sure.
Pratima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-07, 06:43 PM  
Laura S.
VF Supporter

Michelle and Lianne - thanks so much for the information. I'm not sure that I could explain what you explained, but it certainly makes sense in my brain. I just like to understand things and that helps me envision what happens physically.

I hadn't even thought of the Yoga in Bed workout. Of course, that workout never made sense to me because my DVD player isn't near a bed in my house!

I also found the comment helpful in Zyoga when she says that comment about even if you still can't sleep you can rest. There have been several times I've heard her say that in my head and so I concentrated on resting and ended up falling asleep.

I'm sure forward bends aren't a cure-all for all stress and all insomnia. I'm just glad it was for my most recent bout! It's good it works for others and hope even more find the idea useful in their lives.

Laura's Workout Mantras:

Something is better than nothing
The best workout is the one you will DO
Laura S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-07, 06:52 PM  
SharonNYC
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lianne
Oh - I can't pass this question up. This is an area of interest for me -I did a paper for my MEd on using yoga to promote stress reduction in teachers.

To add to what Michelle has said about forward bends activating the parasympathetic nervous system:

In yoga terminology one would say that forward bends decrease the Prana (masculine, energizing, upward flowing energy) and increase the Apana (feminine, calming, downward flowing energy) which may be the same thing as the sympathetic vs. parasympathetic.

If one is approching it from a western scientific mind, I think there are two crucial things that happen in forward bends that cause the parasympathetic to be activated. First, all vulnerable parts of the body are protected. When humans stood up on to two legs there was a trade off in that unlike other mammals, our "soft spots" (internal organs, throast, genitals) were well exposed to any predators. We compensated for this vulnerability in other ways, but there is still a primitive part of our brain that finds comfort in the closing and protection of these vulnerable bits. Second, and more importantly, for most people the breath naturally slows down in forward bends without any concious effort to do so - and the exhale becomes longer than the inhale which is a known key for activating the parasympathetic nervous system.
What Lianne said. This is completely the way I understand it.
I'm what I am, and what I am,
Is back on Boogie Street.

Leonard Cohen/Sharon Robinson "Boogie Street" 10 New Songs.

(I have a professional/personal relationship with an instructor who produces video and book material relevant to this site.)
SharonNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-07, 07:37 PM  
beyond.omega
VF Supporter

Am I a freak?

Don't mean to hijack this thread, (or disagree with the past two explanations of stress response in the body...they both make a lot of sense.)

But I feel energized after a massage - I become very productive after a massage. Definately not stressed, and running around like a chicken with her head cut off, but productive.

And forward bends (ala child's pose, or half-salutes) while they feel good, they seem to make my breathing shallower - that is, I have to fight for breath (sort of...well, at least work harder for it.)
beyond.omega is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-07, 09:10 PM  
KathAL79

Michelle, I'll go back and reread that part in Erich again; thanks for bringing it to my attention and starting to flesh it out.

Lianne, thank you, thank you! That's what I was looking for, and I'll be able to engage scientifically-minded SO with those terms.
That's great that you wrote a thesis on that topic! Any chance of it getting published? I'd love to read it.

Beyond.omega, you mentioned that you find your breath is shallow in child's pose and standing forward bends, but how is it in seated forward bends? Most of the poses we're discussing are actually seated forward bends, like with paschimottanasana (seated forward bend with legs straight in front of you), sukhasana (easy cross-legged pose), baddha konasana (bound angle or butterfly), upavista konasana (open angle or straddle), janu sirsana (head to knee forward bend), gomukhasana (cow's face), etc.
Personally it took me a while to learn how to relax completely in these types of poses. Now that I've trained myself better, it's much easier to breathe more deeply and to let myself calm down.

I also remembered that some of Shiva Rea's CDs may be able to yield some relaxing practices, perhaps even some with forwards bends.

Note: I have had a professional relationship with a vendor of health and fitness books and media. For details please see my profile.
KathAL79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-07, 04:42 AM  
fitness@home

I read this entire thread with interest last night and dedcided to do an experiment. I completed about 5-7 miutes of various forward bends before truning in for the night.

Wow, I slept very deeply and even remember some of my dreams . Periodically, I go through periods of insomnia or waking in the middle of the night. Usually, it's during a higher stress time in my life. I will use this method of relaxation when needed.

Thanks for all the explanations on the body mechanics of why this works!
Old 03-21-07, 06:53 AM  
julieric

I've been following this thread with interest, since I've had sleeping troubles since I was a child. My twelve year old daughter has them as well. It takes her a very long time to fall asleep (although once she's asleep she stays asleep) and mornings are really difficult. The 6:50 bus is missed quite a bit.

Anyway, I slept much better last night after doing some forward bends. Coincidence maybe, too soon to tell. I also suggested it to my daughter, who was skeptical but tried it. She has three hours of gymnastics each night, so is spending alot of time in backbends, etc., so the forward bends might help. Haven't asked her yet if it made a difference. She stayed home today, because she did something to her back last night and says it hurts to walk or move. She's had this before, usually only lasts a day or two.
Old 03-21-07, 07:05 AM  
Gardengirl

So I woke up at 4 a.m. and couldn't get back to sleep. I tried Laura's version of forward bends in bed, under the covers ( ). Weird, but it helped me relax and get back to sleep. One thing I did notice, when you do a forward bend it would be hard to maintain any tension in your upper body (and jaw). What I mean is, that most people carry stress in their shoulders and upper body (for me, it's jaw too). When I did my (modified) forward bend, my upper body relaxed. So maybe it's a tension releasing exercise!!!
Gardengirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-07, 11:38 AM  
yogini_michelle

Quote:
Originally Posted by julieric
She has three hours of gymnastics each night, so is spending alot of time in backbends, etc., so the forward bends might help. Haven't asked her yet if it made a difference. She stayed home today, because she did something to her back last night and says it hurts to walk or move. She's had this before, usually only lasts a day or two.
Backbends are more energizing. it couldn't hurt when she feels better to spend a little more time in seated forward bends. Even during gymnastic practice see if she will throw in a forward bend (even standing at that point) inbetween her routine/break during practice.
Old 03-21-07, 12:16 PM  
normandy

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheech
Are the forward bends you're mentioning regular forward bends, like the ones Cathe and other instructors do at the end of workouts??
Would love to know this answer, also!
normandy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
forward bends, geri halliwell, insomnia, relaxation, sleep, yoga, yoga for sleep