Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-07-17, 09:13 AM  
marki64

Quote:
Originally Posted by horsemom2 View Post
my main problem is I am afraid to not get up and go to the bathroom during the night because I have had dreams of peeing and the dreams have sparked a couple of accidents.

Usually, I fall right back to sleep but do have the nights where the *second sleep* theory seems to kick in.

Barb S
This is me too!! I have no problem falling asleep. I fall asleep by 9 p.m. usually with a book or my tablet in my hand. I usually wake up about 3 a.m. to pee and falling back asleep doesn't usually happen. I start thinking of things I have to do in my day. I am an early riser and get up at 4:45 a.m. I do a lot in the morning before work. I sleep a couple hours later on the weekend. I am energetic and am constantly moving, so I guess I am getting enough sleep. Ever since my dosage for my thyroid medicine was increased, I have felt much better. But I hate it when I can't get that extra hour of sleep in because of my mind going a mile a minute.
marki64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-17, 10:32 AM  
bzar
Exchange Moderator

i am post meno, so no more sweating during the night or rapid thoughts racing through my brain.

however, comma.......

my problem now is just cutting myself off at a certain time and getting into bed. at least now, i can fall asleep. for months, i couldn't. i'd be in bed ruminating on idiotic subjects.

if my brain was ruminating, i would meditate. breathing and/or praying.

for the praying part, i would change the tempo to very slowwwwww motion to be a boring drone-ish soundtrack in my brain. it helped!

of course, all of the other sleep hygiene tactics - very dark room, no electronics whatsoever in the room, fan on if needed, etc.

Miyagi: Wax on, right hand. Wax off, left hand. Wax on, wax off. Breathe in through nose, out the mouth. Wax on, wax off. Don't forget to breathe, very important.
[walks away, still making circular motions with hands] ~ Pat Morita, The Karate Kid, 1984

disclosure: in the years 2002-2004 i had a professional relationship with a distributor of fitness videos; see profile.
bzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-17, 09:07 PM  
iwant2bfit

me too!

I wish I had some advice being that I'm a registered sleep technologist. I use an eye mask, sound machine, keep the room cool, no electronics etc. I also use blue light therapy glasses when I wake up to help shift my circadian rhythm. The only thing I cannot do is maintain a sleep schedule on my days off. It's just not possible. I do a modified sleep schedule, like going to bed @ 3-4 AM & try to sleep until noon. It rarely happens! Most says I'm at 6 hours. Some nights when I work, I've gotten as little as 4 and having to work a 14 hour shift. I've tried Ambien but only seem to get 6 hours. Even though I feel fine, it is habit forming so I'm not comfortable with that. I've tried melatonin, honey with sea salt. It doesn't work for me. I'm getting ready to try tart cherry juice. It's supposed to act like tryptophan. It's also great for inflammation, aches and pains. I'm going to add a little calcium/magnesium powder to it to see if I can get a decent nights sleep. I'll let you know how it goes.
iwant2bfit is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
insomnia, sleep mask