Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 02-18-14, 03:28 PM  
Fit Gal

Quote:
Originally Posted by pat58 View Post
i have nothing to add, other than i hope you find a solution, sherry. I hope all works out for you.
+1
Fit Gal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-14, 06:27 PM  
Terri1222
VF Supporter

Sherry: Thinking about you, girl!

As for me, I never had insomnia issues until I was 30 years old - it started during postpartum, after the birth of my child, and I have not had a real, solid, good night's sleep since then (my son is 23 now). My DH also tells me I snore really loud, and has been bugging me to go to one of those sleep clinics.

As a matter of fact, my brother told me he recently had a sleep study done - he now wears some kind of CPAP thing, and he swears by it. Says he has never slept better!

Let us know what you end up doing and how it turns out!

Terri

Crap happens in bunches - Beth

Just 'cuz I want to be a hermit doesn't mean I don't get lonely - DonnaB

What the head makes cloudy, the heart makes very clear - Eagles
Terri1222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-14, 08:11 PM  
adawn
VF Supporter

I had a sleep study done for hypersomnia rather than insomnia. My psychiatrist referred me because I was sleeping 12+ hours a day and still tired and occasionally would sleep an entire weekend except for bathroom/snack breaks.

My sleep study went pretty much the same as everyone else’s. I was exhausted the day after because my sleep was (of course) interrupted by them needing me to wake up to go home. I brought a morning snack for myself & they also gave me a bottle of OJ. I had time for a 10 min shower to get the goo out of my hair. I didn’t get to find out the results of my sleep study until my follow-up appointment with one of the doctors a week or two later.

Turns out, I’m an excellent sleeper, everything normal except I have a lot of periodic limb movements (ie I’m pretty active in my sleep). I was always pretty sure I move a lot in my sleep because I kick people who sleep in the same bed as me, roll over, steal covers, etc. However, the sleep study showed that the movements didn’t disturb me or affect the quality of my sleep at all.

I also got a fun little one page synopsis of all of the sleep study findings that tell me how long I spent in each sleep phase, etc. The next diagnostic step would have been for me to come in for a daytime sleep study where they see what happens when you try to take naps during the day, but the doctor said it wouldn’t be useful unless I first modified my sleep schedule to go to bed earlier/wake earlier on a regular basis.

The sleep study center I went to had at least one sleep psychologist on staff that you could be referred to if they thought it would help. The doctor who went over my results also had (non medication) sleep hygiene suggestions for me. Oh, and the sleep center had me print off a huge packet of instructions & questions from their website before my sleep study so I knew exactly what to do and expect.

I also hope you are able to find a solution for your sleep troubles.
adawn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-14, 09:20 PM  
SweatyGirl
VF Supporter

DH got one done a handful of years ago... hopefully this encourages you--their job is to assess whatever you've got to show them so whatever you do, you'll be doing perfectly!..

it turns out DH kept waking himself up nearly every other min so he could never get into to a deep sleep--the sleep center was a great help. I hope it gives you a good solution!
SweatyGirl is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
insomnia