Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 01-29-05, 12:24 PM  
Barb L
VF Supporter

Rebounding still my favorite no-brainer workout

Everybody has their favorite workout toy. It's the Rebounder for me!

I don't use it on weekdays--give the sleepers in my house a break! But on Saturday, I'm on that baby, squeak-squeak-squeaking my way to a good sweat-fest.

I've got a cheapie--the Wal-Mart model. It sits up against the wall when I'm not using it. The ride is firm, but wa-a-ay softer than the floor.

I use some 60s/70s/80s pop music walking tapes for a beat, and I'm off and bouncing. Well, not bouncing exactly. Jogging, knee-ups, jacks, twists, kickbacks, etc. Sometimes I add light handweights and arms. Anything that comes to mind.

This is my "oh, just do ten minutes then you can quit" workout. Except once I get going, the half-hour or more usually flies by.

I know there are a lot of rebounder fans here, but I can't resist putting in another plug for this easy, convenient, and versatile indoor aerobic workout. Low $$$ investment, high fun factor.
Old 01-29-05, 12:49 PM  
Videophile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barb L
Everybody has their favorite workout toy. It's the Rebounder for me!

I know there are a lot of rebounder fans here, but I can't resist putting in another plug for this easy, convenient, and versatile indoor aerobic workout. Low $$$ investment, high fun factor.
Those of us who rebound every day know what you're talking about. When I was a kid, I had a heart murmur and had to sit out PE, so even as a child I never ran. Never could do jumping jacks either. Now at age 69 I jog, run and even sprint on the rebounder and yes, sometimes a few jumping jacks although I still have a problem with those.

People who have never tried it can't imagine how much fun it is, but at the same time is a terrific workout as it improves balance, cardiovascular fitness and strengthens all at the same time.

IMO if you had a high end rebounder, you'd use it more often because (as many have testified to) there is just no comparison between the inexpensive models and the high end models. Not just how sturdy and well built they are, but in the softer feel of the bounce and how kind it is to your body/joints.

One of the best parts (aside from the fun) is that your workout can be very low intensity or very high intensity depending on your level of fitness, mood or whatever. It is totally adaptable to whatever you want to do or can do at any given moment so that, even tho' your fitness improves, it NEVER becomes ineffective, because you can just increase intensity and duration and still get a great workout.

Because of what rebounding has done for me I'm always glad to hear when someone else sings it's praises.

Nancy

Last edited by Videophile; 01-29-05 at 12:57 PM. Reason: brevity
Videophile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-05, 05:49 PM  
bonbon

Count me in as another fan of rebounding! I got the Ultimate Reboundair for Christmas and I've been Rebounding 2-4 times a week! I like to add some Rebounding after weight work as well. So far, G-Force by FitPrime is my favorite. I also have a couple of the Urban Rebounder compilations. I sure with there were more workouts (good workouts) to choose from! My dream would be for Cathe to put out a rebounding workout (I really don't think that would ever happen...could you imagine REBOUND EXTREME?) or that WHFN(FitPrime) would put out another one. When I do other Cardio workouts I ofter feel wiped out and sore, but rebounding has me feeling like the Energizer Bunny!
bonbon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-05, 06:00 PM  
Barb L
VF Supporter

The main question I'd have about a more expensive model rebounder: Does it squeak?

If I could rebound more quietly on a better model, I might be tempted.
Old 01-29-05, 06:12 PM  
getstrong

I have UR nonfold, and it's very quiet. Most of the squeaking came from the half fold ReboundAirs, I think; the nonfold and quarterfold ReboundAirs were quiet. Mine developed a soft squeak, and twisting the springs slightly fixed it. I later put vasoline on the pins where they meet the outside frame, and it was super quiet. I never tried a cheap rebounder, but those who have say the bounce is unbelievably better on a quality mat. You know you will use it, so go for it!

ETA: Any chance there is a VFer or Ya near you with one of the quality rebounders? You could have a testing party.
getstrong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-05, 06:14 PM  
glavtx
VF Supporter

bonbon, have you tried Champion Rebounding or Champion Rebounding Supersets? I think they're both a lot of fun, and pretty darn intense.

If you have Cathe's MIC, and don't mind modifying the steps to fit the rebounder - it's wonderful! You have to be willing to modify, but it's a really great workout on the rebounder. I use mine a lot when I do her Cardio & Weights, too, for the step sections, and have done P90Xs Plyometrics on it, without much modifying needed.

I almost never do rebounder specific workouts on it now, because it is so hard to find good ones, but use it for warm ups, cool downs, and to modify anything with good music.

If the only prayer you say in your life is Thank You, that would suffice.
Meister Eckhart

It is our resistance to things as they are that causes most unhappiness.

When you rise in the morning, give thanks for the light, for your life, for your
strength. Give thanks for your food and for the joy of living. If you see no
reason to give thanks, the fault lies in yourself. Tecumseh
glavtx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-05, 06:32 PM  
Jennifer R
VF Supporter

Barb, I'm now on my third (!) rebounder.

The first was the cheapy WalMart brand with the elastic bands--it squeaked. After 5 years, it wore out--this climate is horrible on the elastic bands.

Then I got a Lymph-a-Ciser from a friend who had brought it back from New Zealand, where it's made--it was a higher end model, with metal springs. It squeaked horribly. Then the hooks to the springs started popping off.

Last November I acquired another cheapo from WalMart--and IT DOESN'T SQUEAK!! at all!! I'm very happy with it.

When I go to the Mainland this month, I'm going to shop around for another highend rebounder so I can bring it back and not incur the horrid shipping charges for Hawaii.

But I love that my new WalMart doesn't squeak!

"I used to be disgusted, now I try to be amused"--Elvis Costello
Jennifer R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-05, 08:50 PM  
horsemom2

[QUOTE=Jennifer R]
Then I got a Lymph-a-Ciser from a friend who had brought it back from New Zealand, where it's made--it was a higher end model, with metal springs. It squeaked horribly. Then the hooks to the springs started popping off.

QUOTE]

OMG you just saved me hundreds of dollars!

Barb S
who has often contemplated ordering one of these
horsemom2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-05, 09:04 PM  
Pie
VF Supporter

I have to agree. I love my rebounder. I just got it the beg of Jan and I use it about 3 times per week. I hated doing cardio. Now, I have to stop myself from doing it everyday so that I can get weights in. Most times, I don't want to have to think about the choreo so the rebounder definitely fits the bill.

I have the half-fold UR. It is very quiet. I use it in the morning without waking up my family.
Pie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-05, 11:41 PM  
Videophile

Squeaky rebounders

Some people say their rebounders sqeak and others say theirs don't even if they're the same brand. Some used WD40 on the springs to stop the squeaking. Also, humidity or lack of it (I can't remember which) effects squeakiness.

Springs can break on any rebounder. It's the way they are made. You can get a complete set of replacements very resonably.

Barb, aren't you thinking of the Lympholine? The square one with spring loaded legs? Isn't that the one you were thinking of buying?

Nancy
Videophile is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
rebounding