Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-30-05, 11:54 AM  
Rhae
Exchange Moderator

Question For people who use push-up bars and have wrist issues

Do the push up bars really help you to be able to do more push-ups? I am considering getting them because I'm sure I could do more push-ups if my wrists didn't start hurting so that I have to stop. I could do push-ups on my knees forever (well, maybe that's an exaggeration ), but am limited to 10-15 on my toes.

I've tried using the hex dumbbells, but they are just not comfortable. I read that someone thought the push-up bars were much more comfortable, but can't find that post.
Old 01-30-05, 12:34 PM  
firmbogie

I don't have bars, but dumbbells make push-ups much easier on my wrists. Have you tried putting weight gloves on before holding onto your dumbbells? This makes it more comfortable on your hands.
Old 01-30-05, 12:36 PM  
jordan

Hi Rhae,

I've used push up handle bars even longer than I've used home videos, I have ganglion cysts. I think they take the pressure off of my wrists so that I am able to work longer. Recently, I noticed I use them less. I try to use them when the exercise allows to preserve my wrist. For those p/u variations that don't allow their use, I can usually get by due to the decrease in aggrevation. They weren't expensive so I think their worth a try.

jordan
jordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-05, 12:38 PM  
Andrea
VF Supporter

I have them and actually prefer the hex dumbells. The big ones are best though, like 15 lbs and up. I don't think I could do them on the dumbells without gloves though!

If your wrists are keeping you from doing more pushups, then I think handlebars will definitely help. I can't do any without them because my wrist hurts too much.

And Jordan is right. They're real cheap.

Andrea
Old 01-30-05, 12:53 PM  
porter
VF Supporter

I use push up bars and they've made all the difference in the world for my wrists. My wrists have been thanking me. The dumbbells didn't work for me.

There is only one success - to be able to spend your life in your own way.
- Anonymous
porter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-05, 01:19 PM  
Jacqi A
VF Supporter

I use push up bars to do the 5 Tibetans, a daily yoga sequence that includes 2 exercises that are hard on the wrists (one is a bit similar to a pushup). I'm VERY happy with them. When there are 10-20 regular pushups in a video/DVD, I don't usually bother getting the push up bars, but if I was doing more or doing them daily, I would.
Jacqi A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-05, 02:05 PM  
gimmat
VF Supporter

I bought a set from Target after P90X started bothering my wrists, and can do some of the pushups with them without any twinge. However, they are a bit wobbley doing some of the variations, so I still have to modify. And side plank is the move that bothers me the most, and my core isn't strong enough to be that high up using a bar. But for $8, definitely worth it!
gimmat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-05, 06:49 PM  
Kyra

I don't really have wrist issues (I have one flaky wrist, but for whatever reason it doesn't bother me much when doing pushups - some yoga moves are another story, though) and I find pushup bars do allow me a greater range of motion and don't get in my way the way dumbbells do. I got mine as a christmas present, but have priced them and they can be had cheap. Definitely worth a shot, IMO!

Certified Bulletproof Athlete
Kyra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-05, 10:23 AM  
Pat58
VF Supporter

I saw push up bars for sale on BeachBody but they are $29.99. Has anyone tried these?
Pat58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-05, 10:32 AM  
LoYoMo99

I have them and love them. Greater range of motion and no clicking in the wrists. Not that I have wrist issues, but if I am doing them in different variations like in P90 or P90X, I would hear weird sounds coming from my wrists. I got mine from fwonline.com and they are the same shape style that Tony has and they were only $12.50 plus shipping.

http://www.fwonline.com/pushbar.htm

Lorey
LoYoMo99 is offline   Reply With Quote