Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-23-23, 03:39 PM  
kat999

Diverticulitis diagnosis after colonoscopy

I'm in my mid-40s and just had my first colonoscopy after an abnormal Cologuard. They found I had some polyps that are likely non-cancerous, a little bit of hemorrhoids (which had been giving me zero symptoms), but what worried me overall was a diagnosis of "moderate diverticulitis," which I also had no symptoms of except for worsening lactose intolerance over the past few years. The "moderate" part scared me, but the GI doc gave me no antibiotics or any other advice other than to increase my water and fiber intake. So I assumed that this was sufficient. Well, of course my Dr. Google instincts overtook me, and now I'm convinced she was negligent not prescribing an antibiotic. I will obviously follow up with my PCP and find out what she thinks, but is it unusual to be told that the diverticulitis will resolve with just dietary changes? The only other thing the GI doc told me to do was to be on a schedule of 3-year colonoscopies instead of 5- or 10-year, so obviously she wants to monitor all that, and again, my PCP will get a report on all this and I can reach out to her, too, but everything I'm reading acts like you need either an antibiotic, liquid diet, hospital stay, or surgery, and I'm worried that I was discharged without enough care here.
Old 03-23-23, 03:43 PM  
Vantreesta

I'm not positive bc it was long time ago, but I think my grandma was only told to change/watch her diet as well. I don't remember her taking antibiotics or being in the hospital or having surgery for it.
You don't have to be fast, just keep moving forward.
Note to self: You don't get to complain about things you won't work to change!

Word for 2024: Accomplished; Word for 2023: Grounded; Word for 2022: Consistency; Word for 2021: Mindfulness
Vantreesta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-23, 03:46 PM  
donnamp

Maybe it is this subtle difference - diverticulosis vs.diverticulitis

Diverticulosis and Diverticulitis of the Colon
Diverticulosis is “the presence of” and diverticulitis is “inflammation and infection of” one or more diverticula (bulges in your colon wall). Diverticulosis is common, doesn’t cause symptoms or need treatment. Mild diverticulitis is treated with antibiotics. Surgery is needed if problems develop. A high fiber diet, exercise and drinking lots of water can help prevent.

Still it is good to ask questions!

Donna (edited to add-cut & pasted from WebMD or something! )
donnamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-23, 03:48 PM  
Izzy

I have diverticulitis but it was diagnosed before my first colonoscopy. Typically I have only been given antibiotics if it becomes infected. I have had about 5 infections over the years which required antibiotics. I know when it's infected. I can feel it and it affects your entire body (fever, sharp stomach pains, swelling). There have been times I get cramping from eating something I shouldn't eat and I now have a medication that helps with that. I take "as needed" and probably have to take 1x per week. All of my colonoscopy's say exactly what yours said "mild diverticulitis with some polyps." They always test the polyps during the colonoscopy. I have a colonoscopy once every 3 years. I rather do that and be on top of things than get cancer. You can ask your GP if it makes you feel better and not worry; but from it sounds what they said is like pretty much is exactly what they tell me.
Old 03-23-23, 03:49 PM  
kat999

Thank you both; I re-read my discharge papers just now and it is diverticulosis, NOT diverticulitis. I feel kind of dumb, but this is very reassuring. Whew!
Old 03-23-23, 03:50 PM  
kat999

Quote:
Originally Posted by Izzy View Post
I have diverticulitis but it was diagnosed before my first colonoscopy. Typically I have only been given antibiotics if it becomes infected. I have had about 5 infections over the years which required antibiotics. I know when it's infected. I can feel it and it affects your entire body (fever, sharp stomach pains, swelling). There have been times I get cramping from eating something I shouldn't eat and I now have a medication that helps with that. I take "as needed" and probably have to take 1x per week. All of my colonoscopy's say exactly what yours said "mild diverticulitis with some polyps." They always test the polyps during the colonoscopy. I have a colonoscopy once every 3 years. I rather do that and be on top of things than get cancer. You can ask your GP if it makes you feel better and not worry; but from it sounds what they said is like pretty much is exactly what they tell me.
Thank you, Izzy! This is extremely helpful.
Old 03-23-23, 04:22 PM  
bzar
Exchange Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by donnamp View Post
Maybe it is this subtle difference - diverticulosis vs.diverticulitis

Diverticulosis and Diverticulitis of the Colon
Diverticulosis is “the presence of” and diverticulitis is “inflammation and infection of” one or more diverticula (bulges in your colon wall). Diverticulosis is common, doesn’t cause symptoms or need treatment. Mild diverticulitis is treated with antibiotics. Surgery is needed if problems develop. A high fiber diet, exercise and drinking lots of water can help prevent.

Still it is good to ask questions!

Donna (edited to add-cut & pasted from WebMD or something! )
Donna thanks for spelling this out for us.

'ulosis simply means you have a small indentation in your colon. if things get trapped in there, that's where it could cause inflammation. your body is smart - if there is mild inflammation it already means that your immune system is "on it". You help by drinking fluids and increase fiber to move it downstream. if you had an infection (worse case scenario) you'd have other symptoms like fever.

a friend of mine was diagnosed with this during his c-scopy and he didn't need any other treatment, and was told the same thing - increase fiber/water. he has never had to get treatment for it after following directions from the doc.

Miyagi: Wax on, right hand. Wax off, left hand. Wax on, wax off. Breathe in through nose, out the mouth. Wax on, wax off. Don't forget to breathe, very important.
[walks away, still making circular motions with hands] ~ Pat Morita, The Karate Kid, 1984

disclosure: in the years 2002-2004 i had a professional relationship with a distributor of fitness videos; see profile.
bzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-23, 04:30 PM  
tlchello

So I am a day surgery coder and a large part of my work load is abstracting colonoscopies. I would say that more than half of the charts I review have diverticulosis. It is simply the presence of diverticulum in the intestine (little pockets). Most times, people don't even know they have this and it is most frequently just an incidental and symptom-less finding. Now, if it progresses to diverticulitis, then you might notice.

As for the polyps, there are a few different types..hyperplastic, adenomatous, sessile serrated, etc. The type they find will affect the duration for follow up. Also, family history and age play a factor.

Did they say why they believed you had an abnormal result from the Cologuard?

Edited to add: I am by no means claiming to be a doctor or give medical advice. I am just sharing my experience of reading thousands of colonoscopy charts.

Last edited by tlchello; 03-23-23 at 04:33 PM. Reason: Disclaimer.
tlchello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-23, 05:52 PM  
yogapam
VF Supporter

Speaking from my own experience with it and talking with my son who is a physician, mild cases of diverticulitis can be managed conservatively without antibiotics. And once your bowel heals, that’s when the fiber & fluids are important.

From the Mayo Clinic:
Uncomplicated diverticulitis

“Your doctor is likely to recommend: Antibiotics to treat infection, although new guidelines state that in very mild cases, they may not be needed. A liquid diet for a few days while your bowel heals. Once your symptoms improve, you can gradually add solid food to your diet.”
Apr 19, 2022

Certified Level 4 Essentrics Instructor - March 2021

Hatha YTT - 2011

Your body keeps an accurate journal regardless of what you write down.....

"Take care of your body. It's the only place you have to live."
Jim Rohn

"It’s not what we do once in a while that shapes our lives, but what we do consistently.” - Tony Robbins

Check out my Instagram account, @fitness.ficti0n.inspirati0n
yogapam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-23, 07:01 PM  
Footballnut

A second opinion can’t hurt. Also, please listen to your body and be sure not to take it lightly. Personal family experience.

Tags
diverticulitis, diverticulosis