Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 02-15-23, 09:35 AM  
KateTT
VF Supporter

Favorite Barre?

Hello lovely ladies and gents!!

I am revisiting barre workouts. Odd for me as I prefer tough sportier types of workouts. Especially heavy weight lifting.

However, barre workouts slay me. The lower body stuff at least.

Do you have any favorite barre workouts you can recommend? I have a few P57 and Core Fusion. Curious about others.

Thanks! Be well! Stay fierce!

When your body screams, tell it to shut up! Body Pump

"Where I am today is where my mind put me. Where I'll be tomorrow is where my mind put me." - Billy Blanks

I'm a SHOCKING GRADUATE of STS!!!! Feb - May '09!
I did it again! I'm a SHOCKING GRADUATE of STS!!!! Feb - May 2018!
Beachbody On Demand 80 Day Obsession - Full Rotation June - September 2018
Third time's a charm! I'm a SHOCKING GRADUATE of STS!!!! July-Oct 2020!
KateTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-23, 08:14 PM  
fatkat555

Hi, Kate!!

There are so many different types of barre available now, but I love the more slow, controlled type based more on the original work of Lotte Berk herself (not necessarily the former New York studio that bears her name). My favorites are Callanetics, Bar Method, and London Method.

If you prefer faster pace, I’d say the P57 or Pure Barre.

For more ballet inspiration, I’d try Leah Sarago (another fave, but not Lotte Berk), Ballet Beautiful as well.

I’m still working my way through different barre types and instructors currently. I have not tried Barrelates, Pop Physique, or Tonique yet. Among many others, these are on my to-try list. I should also mention fluidity, Barrebody, Sleek Technique, and Ballet Physique are on my to-try list as well.

You have to make a mess, sometimes, to clean it up.

DISCLOSURE: I have a professional relationship with a seller or producer of fitness videos or products. For details, please see my profile.
fatkat555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-23, 08:20 PM  
txhsmom
VF Supporter

My favorite was always Bar Method.

Carol
txhsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-23, 09:18 PM  
zraipel
VF Supporter

I'm like you, Kate, I usually prefer sportier workouts, so I've gotten rid of a lot of my barre DVDs, but I have kept all of my Suzanne Bowen Barre Amped workouts. Maybe I just click with Suzanne, but she feels a little more "sporty" when it comes to barre, in my opinion. I also like that she uses neutral spine in her workouts, as I don't like to tuck! She got her start with Lotte Berk I think, but she has her own delivery that I like.
Old 02-16-23, 01:36 PM  
BunnyHop

I'm a fan of the slow/controlled style as well.
Life disrupted my old routines, and I really lost strength in my feet and ankles.

I'm currently taking a local mobility class, that's focused on helping us regain functional fitness by improving strength, flexibility and balance.

The focus at first? The feet and toes, slowly working our way up to calve and knees. It's all slow strength work, and body awareness. OMG. This work has been very challenging, and I've been able to keep gaining strength in my weaker right foot. So amazing! I'm feeling more confident in my abilities with every day.

Just thought I'd mention it, in case you're wondering how to expand your search and explorations.

An instability pad? Yikes. Very effective way to add a level of complexity and difficulty.
Old 02-16-23, 02:02 PM  
warriorprincess

I also love Barre for in-between weight training days. I've done them a lot this year. These are my favorites:

Ballet 24 (Youtube): I do this one the most often, particularly the pure barre or center, but she adds a little choreography to the end of many of these. Her music is a mix of piano and modern.

Les Mills (Paid site): Way more dancy with really good modern music. Starts out slow, and then gradually adds leaps and turns 'if you feel like it.' Always has an interesting weight section that is more about balance than strength for me.

Train Like a Ballerina (Youtube) Just her floor workouts, but they are superb. She has a couple of feet strengthening ones that I also like.

Sleek Technique (Paid Site): I love these for learning ballet technique. There's a set of 8 classes that I've done many times. Music is classical piano.

Cathe (Paid site and Dvds): You really can't beat Cathe if you're wanting to really kick booty. Her barre workouts are amazing, but have more in common with strength training than dancing!

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
You're only 1 workout away from a good mood.
warriorprincess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-23, 05:08 PM  
LindaL
VF Supporter

Have you tried Fit by Coach Kel? She has several videos up on YouTube and a streaming site that’s $19 a month. Her technique is a nice hybrid between Ballet Beautiful, Ballet Physique, and more athletic moves.

If you want strictly athletic type barre, then check out Barre with Brittany on the Sweat app. Her full name is Brittany Williams and she has workouts on YouTube and Instagram.

Disclosure: I was a Beachbody success story and part of a P90X infomercial.
LindaL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-23, 09:57 AM  
horusosiris

If you enjoy sportier barre workouts, I would definitely recommend Suzanne Bowen. I just happen to click with Suzanne's presentation style, her technique and her form pointers. She provides excellent instruction. You may also like Tracey Mallet's barre workouts or Leah Sarago's Iron Barre workouts. Leah's workouts are definitely on the more athletic side.
horusosiris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-23, 02:57 PM  
LindaL
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by horusosiris View Post
If you enjoy sportier barre workouts, I would definitely recommend Suzanne Bowen. I just happen to click with Suzanne's presentation style, her technique and her form pointers. She provides excellent instruction. You may also like Tracey Mallet's barre workouts or Leah Sarago's Iron Barre workouts. Leah's workouts are definitely on the more athletic side.
Horusosiris - do you subscribe to Leah's streaming service? I've been tempted to do so, but am wary because she hasn't posted on social media for over a year and she doesn't seem to post on her website forum.

Disclosure: I was a Beachbody success story and part of a P90X infomercial.
LindaL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-23, 06:01 PM  
horusosiris

Quote:
Originally Posted by LindaL View Post
Horusosiris - do you subscribe to Leah's streaming service? I've been tempted to do so, but am wary because she hasn't posted on social media for over a year and she doesn't seem to post on her website forum.
In the past I subscribed to her streaming service. The workouts were solid. I do not know how often she uploads new workout. When I subscribed she did upload new content regularly. The workouts tended to be on the shorter side.
horusosiris is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
barre workouts, favorite barre workouts