Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 05-05-20, 08:50 PM  
muddjeansgal

Best shoes for Step and Kickboxing

Please and thank you
muddjeansgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-20, 07:02 AM  
bubbles76

I have no suggestions, just wanted to bump this up. I'm also looking for shoes for step. I've used Nikes in the past, but my favorites are always discontinued. I wear a 7 1/2 W, so makes it difficult to find shoes. Sometimes I have to venture into men's shoes.
"You humans have the potential to be the most wonderful beings there are - if you can get past all these enormous stupid spots you seem to have in your hearts. It's not your fault. You just don't know how to work your hearts right yet. That's why there are dogs." - Jim Butcher, Zoo Day
bubbles76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-20, 08:14 AM  
laurajhawk

To be honest, I prefer to kickbox barefoot. I work out on carpet, and pivoting in shoes doesn't work well. I haven't tried dance shoes or anything like that - kickboxing tends to be fairly low-impact so barefoot seems fine.

I'm not keen on step so I'll let others answer that one.

"Don't say 'I can't' ... say 'I presently suck at this thing.'" - Matt Meese, BYU Divine Comedy
laurajhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-20, 08:38 AM  
wendug

I do both step and kickboxing quite a bit and I've worn Reebok shoes for the past few years. I have worn their Trainfusion 9 and Yourflex Trainette shoes, but those have been discontinued. It looks like Reebok's Flexagon Force or Flexagon Energy are similar. Or maybe the Gazura style.

It seems like this is a never-ending battle finding shoes for working out. Once you find a shoe you like, BAM, discontinued, and the search starts all over again! But overall I do like Reebok cross trainers for comfort, style, and price point.
Old 05-06-20, 10:04 AM  
Rivercat
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by wendug View Post
I do both step and kickboxing quite a bit and I've worn Reebok shoes for the past few years. I have worn their Trainfusion 9 and Yourflex Trainette shoes, but those have been discontinued. It looks like Reebok's Flexagon Force or Flexagon Energy are similar. Or maybe the Gazura style.
I don't do step, but recently bought some Reebok Energy TR for LM Body Combat because I needed shoes that would pivot better on carpet. They're light and very comfortable and I got them pretty inexpensively via Amazon because they were a discontinued style. It looks like Reebok dc's models pretty quickly.

This site was very helpful in narrowing down the features I was looking for, though their sale info tends to be out of date: runrepeat.com

~~~Inaugural Star Wars Half Marathon, Jan 2015~~~

"Work your own shovel" - John "The Penguin" Bingham
Rivercat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-20, 01:49 PM  
wlorrie

I was looking for sneakers for my MOSSA Fight and Step classes. I found these to be satisfactory
https://www.hokaoneone.com/womens-ro...a/1099735.html

The good:They have a lot of lateral support which is what I needed, and you can turn and pivot easily with these. The Bad: They are not as "springy" as I would like them. They also have very little traction at the bottom. While this is good for turning and pivoting, this also make doing mountain climbers slippery on gym floor.

I, too, am still looking for the perfect sneaker.
Lorrie
wlorrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-20, 01:58 PM  
cjayd
VF Supporter

I’ve had good success the last couple of years using volleyball shoes. I think pretty much every major brand has at least one version of them. I’ve been using Mizuno brand which fit me well but every brand fits different so just look for them in your preferred brand. I used to use running shoes but then read something about support etc. Running shoes are designed to be supportive for running straight ahead. But when doing things that involve pivoting, jumping, etc a cross trainer or volleyball shoe is better as they are designed for that. It made sense to me. Thinking about the movements volleyball players do is not too different than things we do while working out.
cjayd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-20, 02:21 PM  
manleym

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjayd View Post
I’ve had good success the last couple of years using volleyball shoes. I think pretty much every major brand has at least one version of them. I’ve been using Mizuno brand which fit me well but every brand fits different so just look for them in your preferred brand. I used to use running shoes but then read something about support etc. Running shoes are designed to be supportive for running straight ahead. But when doing things that involve pivoting, jumping, etc a cross trainer or volleyball shoe is better as they are designed for that. It made sense to me. Thinking about the movements volleyball players do is not too different than things we do while working out.
I never thought about volleyball shoes. That's a great idea! I'm a Mizuno fan too and have been wearing Wave Riders for workouts. I have also read that running shoes aren't great for cross training but my foot is small and it's hard to find something that fits. I might consider Mizuno volleyball shoes. Thanks for the tip.
manleym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-20, 04:36 PM  
Mickey12

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjayd View Post
Yes, that's exactly my pet peeve with trying to find shoes. The only thing that seems to have any decent cushion (which I need lots of) is running shoes. But they're designed for straight ahead movement and have pretty much no side to side support. I was thinking about tennis shoes too, but they're pretty hard to find. Any that I've tried on are not very cushioned though, so I end up with running shoes and long for the days when they made "aerobic" shoes which were extremely cushioned and had great lateral support.

Kim
Mickey12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-20, 08:13 PM  
ncl

I have worn Asics Gel (current model I have is 190-TR). they have some cushion, and have lateral support. They were recommended to me years ago by an employee of a local athletic shoe store. I hope they don't stop making them...not sure what I would do. Sometimes I work out barefoot or in minimalist shoes but I am nursing plantar fasciitis right now so I am wearing the shoes for the time being.

Just looking these up. Looks like my model is an old/outdated model. I am wondering if the ASICs gel craze tr is the next version...they call it a cross trainer. I would get one with the stiffer part around the midfoot for better lateral protection.
ncl is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
shoes, sneakers, workout shoes