Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 06-16-23, 10:38 AM  
bfit

How To Get Motivation?

I can't run, do aerobics, or barre any longer because of a foot problem. I'm trying to get into a routine where I walk a couple of times a week, ride my bike once a week, and the rest of the time do something at the pool. I also do some toning with weights and bands at home. I am having such a hard time motivating myself to do walking and biking. With the pool there are people there who are expecting to see me, and there are only certain hours that it is open so those things get me there. But, with walking and biking I have a terrible time getting out of the house to do it, and when I do I don't enjoy it. I think about how everyone else is running across Death Valley or doing triathlons, and I'm just plodding around town. Any ideas on motivation?
bfit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-23, 10:44 AM  
prettyinpink

For me, it’s motivating to have certain music or podcasts that I’m looking forward to and are saved only for that activity.
prettyinpink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-23, 10:59 AM  
Vantreesta

Do you have friends or family nearby to walk or bike with? Is there a cycling club where you live?

And I agree with prettyinpink about having things you enjoy that you only let yourself listen to during that activity. I was using the Zombies Run running app regularly to help get me out the door and I didn't let myself listen to it while walking my dogs, only when I ran. It was a good motivator bc I was really into the story and wanted to know what happened next. I need to get back to it but I may have to repeat the last few episodes to jog my memory since it's been almost a year!
You don't have to be fast, just keep moving forward.
Note to self: You don't get to complain about things you won't work to change!

Word for 2024: Accomplished; Word for 2023: Grounded; Word for 2022: Consistency; Word for 2021: Mindfulness
Vantreesta is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-23, 03:51 PM  
prettyinpink

Other ideas:

Check-ins, here or elsewhere online

Journaling your workouts or even check marks on a calendar

Are you motivated by rewarding yourself for a certain number of days per month, or sequential days sticking to your plan? A cute new fitness top, upgrading your sneakers, or eating out someplace new.

Do you use a fitness watch? You can set up for certain step goals or intensity minutes per week. Maybe some of these have group accountability as well? I think you can add friends to your circle in FitBit and Garmin.

If saving something to listen to isn’t motivating, then think about another activity that you could pair with your exercise that you can look forward to after you exercise. Maybe that is a certain thing for breakfast if you work out fasted, or another ritual. The idea is that you build a habit by tying something pleasant to be part of the experience, so that the initially less desirable activity becomes part of the reward.
prettyinpink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-23, 07:43 AM  
buffmama

Try scheduling it and tagging it to another activity that needs to get done like a walk to the market or another errand.
Old 06-17-23, 10:40 AM  
red1013

Do you like to read? Maybe listening an audiobook will help? I know my library has really expanded their ebook/audiobook selections in the last few years.
Old 06-17-23, 01:30 PM  
LAC

Can you find some co-workers to walk with at lunch time? We used to have a little group of regular walkers where I worked and we encouraged each other to get up and get moving. It also made the time fly when there was people to chat with while walking. Now that they’ve all retired and I’m the only walker left, I find it difficult to find/maintain motivation myself, so I understand your dilemma.
LAC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-23, 03:47 PM  
bzar
Exchange Moderator

do you have a pedometer, either as a wearable or as an app on your phone? counting your activity, be it walking or on your bike, will add up.

Miyagi: Wax on, right hand. Wax off, left hand. Wax on, wax off. Breathe in through nose, out the mouth. Wax on, wax off. Don't forget to breathe, very important.
[walks away, still making circular motions with hands] ~ Pat Morita, The Karate Kid, 1984

disclosure: in the years 2002-2004 i had a professional relationship with a distributor of fitness videos; see profile.
bzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-23, 11:32 AM  
donnamp

Hi Bfit

Have you thought about why you don't enjoy it? Do you not enjoy it b/c you find it boring or do you not enjoy it b/c you feel it isn't "enough" or as "good" (in terms of being intense enough, challenging enough, etc.) as what you used to do before your foot injury?

If you don't enjoy it then I think what others have suggested - listening to a podcast, book, or music may help to make it more enjoyable. Also, maybe looking into joining a local walking, biking or hiking group - to make it more social. I enjoy walking and hiking more if I have a buddy to go with - if i go by myself I don't enjoy it a much - although listening to music or a book or a podcast does make it more enjoyable.

If the main block to your enjoyment of walking or biking is that you feel it just isn't good enough compared to what you used to do - and that is just not worth it b/c it isn't the same as what you used to do - I think that needs a mind set shift. A grieving and acceptance of what you lost and then a shift to celebrate and appreciate what you can still do. That really isn't easy to do. Jessica Valant has a podcast that touches on this - I think it is "my midlife confusion"

https://open.spotify.com/show/1CaoR0haEhYAetFAAvisHW

I would look into finding more of these types of resources - to help you move past what you used to do and move forward to find enjoyment and appreciation for what you can still do.

It isn't easy - and it is hard to stop comparing yourself to others who are doing x, y and z or comparing yourself to your past self. One VFer I think had this as her signature - "comparison is the thief of joy" - it may not have been exactly that, but that was the spirit behind it.

I am just guessing that this may be a part of why you are struggling to enjoy these forms of exercise based on your post where you said you think about others running across death valley or competing in triathlons, etc. while you are "plodding around town" - It may help to stop thinking about what others are doing or what your former self used to do and try to make peace with and come to enjoy what you can still do. I know it isn't easy but if that is what is holding you back then letting go of that may help you to move forward and come to enjoy these forms of exercise more.

I hope this isn't offensive. I think many people here on VF have had to go through this mind shift either due to injury, aging, etc.

Take care,

Donna
donnamp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-23, 11:46 AM  
buffmama

Can you dance? If you enjoy it, maybe something like Body Groove or Soul Sweat. Kettlebell/dumbbell swings (even light ones) will get your heart rate up without you even moving your feet. . You're lapping everyone on the couch. Drop what you do don't like and try to find something you do.

Tags
habits, motivate, motivation