Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-23-18, 03:17 PM  
monterey vidiot
VF Supporter

I have them every 5 years since there's a family history of colon cancer. I've had 5 so far. I love the sedation! No way would I want the procedure without it. My very first one, only, I remember saying owowow waking up during the procedure.
monterey vidiot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-18, 03:20 PM  
donnamp

Quote:
Originally Posted by adawn View Post
Just wanted to comment about colonoscopy preps. My mom (now 72) has been due for her 2nd coloscopy for many, many years but was avoiding it because the flavor (and quantities) of the prep stuff she had to drink was so dreadful before her first colonscopy.

However, in the past year her brother in Utah had a colonscopy and another brother who lives about an hour away from us in Illinois had a colonoscopy and both had really easy preps using over the counter stuff (miralax and dulcolax) and drinking reasonable quantities of gatorade or crystal light.

So my mom scheduled a colonoscopy with her doctor here in the Chicago suburbs. But the doctor's office gave her the same old prescription for trilyte, which is the prep stuff she was dreading. So she talked to her dr's office about the prep that my uncles had but the nurse only offered her the alternative of suprep, but when my mom looked up reviews of suprep, the reviews said it wasn't much better than trilyte.

Long story short, my mom has decided to still do the colonoscopy but is going to follow the protocol my uncles did. I'm not sure why some doctor's offices use different prep protocols and if one is actually superior.
I looked on my Dr's website for their info and they do the ducolax/miralax prep. My DH has had 3 colonoscopies, the first one was w/ the nasty stuff and some anesthetic that knocked him for a loop. The last two were w/ the ducolax/miralax and whatever sedation protocol they are using currently and that was much better for him - we even went out to eat that night! Wasn't the nasty stuff responsible for causing kidney failure in some patients? Why use it??

Donna
donnamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-18, 03:31 PM  
Lannette

Quote:
Originally Posted by donnamp View Post
from what I understand, if they find polyps during the exam they remove them.

Donna
Yes, I actually had two removed without pain.

Do you really want to look back on your life and see how wonderful it could have been had you not been afraid to live it? - Caroline Myss
Lannette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-18, 03:53 PM  
suzannaerin

Quote:
Originally Posted by violingal3 View Post
Same here. I know most people would like to avoid sedation when possible, but I don't think I would want to be without it for a colonoscopy. Like bethlakey said, the prep and anticipation was the worst part, the rest was a breeze.
I agree. And you feel great for about an hour afterwards. I have no problem with sedation takes me back to the early 80s.....
suzannaerin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-18, 04:00 PM  
bzar
Exchange Moderator

my trilyte came with a choice of flavors. the pharmacist let me choose. i think it was clear but berry-flavored. all foods consumed, including the prep liquids, must be clear-colored.

i think over the years, it probably improved. it's much better than that barium stuff people take for cat-scans!

Miyagi: Wax on, right hand. Wax off, left hand. Wax on, wax off. Breathe in through nose, out the mouth. Wax on, wax off. Don't forget to breathe, very important.
[walks away, still making circular motions with hands] ~ Pat Morita, The Karate Kid, 1984

disclosure: in the years 2002-2004 i had a professional relationship with a distributor of fitness videos; see profile.
bzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-18, 04:26 PM  
Shelbygirl

OMG, without sedation, a colonoscopy can be seriously painful! I have a family history of colon cancer so I have to get these lovely tests fairly frequently. During the first one I had, I woke up much too early and man, that is not an experience I want to repeat. I think I was actually crying by the end of it.

Good luck!
Shelbygirl
Shelbygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-18, 05:35 PM  
ealakey
VF Supporter

I think Twilight sedation is what I had, but then again, I don't remember. I do remember walking out after and asking to go to the Waffle House for a big breakfast. Whatever you decide, you'll be in good hands. They are trained professionals and will handle anything that occurs. I spent a lot of time worrying that I would react to the medication because I tend to need a beta blocker after procedures, but that didn't happen. Honestly, I spent more time worrying over how to do the prep properly and getting through that, and the procedure was truly just a breeze and over so quickly.

For what it's worth, I have read the female colon is shaped differently from a male in there are more tight corners to get through.

Lannette, you have my upmost admiration, I salute you. And I thought I was tough.

~Beth
ealakey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-18, 05:38 PM  
Donna D

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shelbygirl View Post
OMG, without sedation, a colonoscopy can be seriously painful! I have a family history of colon cancer so I have to get these lovely tests fairly frequently. During the first one I had, I woke up much too early and man, that is not an experience I want to repeat. I think I was actually crying by the end of it.

Good luck!
Shelbygirl
I worked in the GI unit for 4 years at a local hospital. The reception desk was not that far from the scoping rooms. After hearing some people scream, I would tend to agree with you.

Of course it is different for each person. The docs used conscious sedation; many patients could not remember having the procedure done. Some described it as being in "la-la land".

Best wishes!
Donna D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-18, 05:46 PM  
Lannette

Quote:
there's another option where they go through your mouth (called upper endoscopy) instead of the rectum. however, i'm not sure which patients are best suited for it - there's criteria.
An upper endoscopy (through the mouth) is very different than a lower (colonoscopy) endoscopy. They visualize totally different parts of the GI tract. The upper won’t ever visualize the colon and large intestine. It’s to look at the esophagus and stomach.

I’m not advocating that everyone do their colonoscopy without sedation. Remember I worked in endoscopy I sedated people and watched and assisted with polyp removals (polypectomy). I wanted to go shopping and out to lunch with my son afterwards and be in full control and actually remember the afternoon. That was one of my reasons for choosing no sedation, which ended up being a great choice for me.

Do you really want to look back on your life and see how wonderful it could have been had you not been afraid to live it? - Caroline Myss
Lannette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-18, 06:22 PM  
Erica H.

I am having my first colonoscopy done in 10 days and they are doing it with an upper endoscopy. I am mostly nervous about not eating the day before. I get really uncomfortable when I'm hungry and I get hungry often.

Definitely having sedation. Looking forward to that since I have chronic insomnia!

Erica
Erica H. is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cancer, colonoscopy, colonoscopy prep, diverticulitis, medical tests, polyps